Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moonbeam 1950's Repro Clocks – Check your Big Lots!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I bought the big black one and the Moonbeam at Pottery Barn probably 6 or 7 years ago, and I'm sure I paid a premium. They have been in constant use in our home since then and I've never had any trouble with them. Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware use to sell reproductions all the time back then, I have several other styles besides those.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Several of the styles are also on sale at http://www.partshelf.com/retro-alarm-clocks.html.

The best one they have is this 1938 repro Big Ben Orb clock, for $17.
ps-47614Small.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:
Me too! That's what power strips and extension cords are for :)
I know, they're all in use! The extension cord has an extension cord. lol
I need a clock in each of my bathrooms but there're no outlets in those at all!! Where's the tear-out-my-hair icon?! Time to call the cute electrician I know, I think, when my loan goes through...
Next time I go to Big Lots I'm going by myself so I can look at all the cool stuff with no whiners. ;)

D

DeaconKC

My Grandma had one like that so I went to Big lots today and all they had were lime green and pink! EGADS! Had to pass on that.......

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Finally found them! Took forever, though. I actually got them at a Biglots that I had called earlier- they told me that they didn't have them! No Twilights here either, though...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Finally found them! Took forever, though. I actually got them at a Biglots that I had called earlier- they told me that they didn't have them! No Twilights here either, though...

That's because they were looking in electronics and not in home decor. Someone at one of my stores told me the same thing, I figured there were high chances they were incompetent, and I figured I'd just have to go myself. And lo and behold I found exactly what I was looking for.

I had to go back today to get one of the 1939 radios. I like it a lot - the radio sound is very clear, even on AM. It's perfect for listening to the baseball game!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
We exchanged the defective black clock-radio tonight for the only other one they had in the store. Whew! Not only did we get the last one, but this one works!! :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
for what its worth....there were no yellow at the big lots i went to today......there is another one near here as well...so will look there.

There were green, purple, etc....

as well as a GIANT 1909 Big Ben repro.....

AlanC

I'm late to this thread, but I can see that I'll be stopping off at the local Big Lots tomorrow. Here's hoping they still have some in stock!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
That's because they were looking in electronics and not in home decor. Someone at one of my stores told me the same thing, I figured there were high chances they were incompetent, and I figured I'd just have to go myself. And lo and behold I found exactly what I was looking for.

The same thing happened to me!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I love that your vacation included shopping at one of our sloppy close-outs stores. That's very much the style of thing my wife and I do.

sixsexsix said:
While on vacation this weekend in SF I made my boyfriend drive us to a Big Lots where I picked up the Moon Beam in blue and the Twilight in yellow (the last/only Twilight they had left!). Very very happy about them both :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My local BL had blue, green, and pink moonbeams, plus the radio clock.
We bought the green moonbeam.

Thanks for the heads up.

AlanC

I grabbed a couple of these (the only two they had) this morning for $10/ea, one for home office, one office office:

47601new300.jpg

I'll likely go back for a wall clock and a Moonbeam. No clock radio, which I would love to have. I'll have to explore other area BLs. Thanks to this thread for the heads up! :)

D

DeaconKC

RATS! Hit another one and still no clocks with the radio...........

Weston

A-List Customer
So glad to help! It seems often I can't find too much in terms of news to benefit the community. I am in total envy of those of you with the radios. I'd murder someone for one of those - well not literally.

Glad everyone's enjoying them! I still haven't gotten a chance to wake up to mine to see if it works. My month old newborn is making sure time has no meaning for me! ;)

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
KittyT said:

I had to go back today to get one of the 1939 radios. I like it a lot - the radio sound is very clear, even on AM. It's perfect for listening to the baseball game!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have a pretty primitive system of inventorying stock in that joint; I don't think that they can look it up in any sort of central computer system or anything. Which leads me to wonder how they know if they're getting ripped off...

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

On Wednesday I'll be heading to the closest Big Lots to me, which is nearly 25 miles away. I'm looking for the clock radio (as well as some of the others). Wish me luck!

Sunny

One Too Many
If you find the clock radio, I suggest testing it to make sure the alarm works. The one I got Saturday didn't, so yesterday I went to my 5th Big Lots in 4 days to find another. They had two, which I unpacked and tested. (The employees were very understanding!) The first one didn't work, but the second did. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace