Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moonbeam 1950's Repro Clocks – Check your Big Lots!

Weston

A-List Customer
Found the normally $40 Moon Beam clocks closed out at Big Lots for $15. Look really art deco and light up to gently wake you followed by a vintage style bell ring. Neat stuff - normally sold by LL Bean and Restoration Hardware. Also another 50's repro clock is being blown out at $6. Good luck!

Weston

A-List Customer
Sorry, maybe I'm too much of a clock geek! :) Thought everyone knew these...it's a famous design once you see it...here we go...
moonbeam-clock.jpg

Smuterella

One Too Many
oh, I want one. i need a clock.

anyone willing to help me and buy one and ship it for me?

i'm more than happy to add a little inconvenience money to the payment...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
You know, I actually need an alarm clock... These don't make any ticking or grinding noises, do they? That's why my wife made me get rid of my Dreyfuss-designed Big Ben.

-Dave

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Smuterella said:

same! anyone care to do a bit of discount shopping for us foreigners??? :rolleyes:

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Holy crap! I expected to see one clock but the one by my house has several!

1950 - Green or Pink

1936 - Black (Very nice but big and heavy because it's a radio too)
41H5E7AJQRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

1949 - Round Purple
M44630_Nautical_Red.jpg

1967 - Cream (Boxy very 60s lookin')
AAAAAvAutsEAAAAAACoDzw.jpg

1939 - Round Silver
AAAAAtwx1p0AAAAAAFrKWw.jpg

I got this one:
l_c0e21d79458f8426b1c4b8ec14c4b6b5.jpg

Duh. ;)

Sorry it's not coming out of the box because I'm moving!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Oh dear lord they have a YELLOW one! That would match my kitchen perfectly! Too bad the one by my house doesn't have it. Boo. I wonder if I could find it at another Big Lots. Hm...

Ying Ko

New in Town
There are more reissue clocks at...

...www.alarmclocksonline. Westclox reissued several clocks as battery-powered quartz alarm clocks:

*a 1931 Big Ben, in black or silver

*a 1934 Athens Dura (this one's heavy. You could kill a spouse with it. Not that I'm implying, er, uh, you know, uh, nevermind.)

*a 1937 Silent Knight (very Streamline Moderne!! Ay, que sexy!!)

*a 1939 Big Ben, in black or silver(this is the one that Rstoration Hardware and Pottery Barn carried for years. Not sure why the original font was changed.)

*a 1949 Big Ben, in black or silver(but currently available from other retailers in other colors)

*a 1956 Big Ben, called "the Clock of Tomorrow"(very Populuxe. Very Esquivel. Very Space Age Modern. Or, as Esquivel's backup singers would say, very "ha-cha-CHAAA!!")

There's also another Westclox clock called the "Twilight" that's similar to the Moonbeam, but has a different shape.

And, if you need a clock radio, you may hunt around for a "Baxter" clock radio from Seth Thomas. Loosely based on a 1930's original, this clock radio has a lighted dial and an "ebonized" wood casing(what "ebonized"? Not sure. Might be something akin to "kreusening" or "Corinthian leather").

Sunny

One Too Many
I got mine! Both a green Moonbeam ($15), and a 1939 model ($10) for work. (No, I didn't need an alarm clock for work, but I love how it looks!)

47601new300.jpg

I used the Moonbeam this morning and it's great. I hate loud alarms and I've been using a CD to wake me up: The Shire theme from Fellowship of the Ring, nearly inaudible volume. But the buttons for setting the alarm time are about to give up the ghost. The flashing light of the Moon Beam is really quite bright, and took about 30 seconds to wake me up. Excellent!

Ying Ko, I like the Twilight. Very nice! The Athens is another favorite. I'm going to hang onto that link.

Smuterella said:

sixsexsix said:
same! anyone care to do a bit of discount shopping for us foreigners???

Hi ladies, I'd love to send them on to you! I go to the post office all the time, and they're very well-packaged so I wouldn't be afraid to mail them. The website says, however:

"Operates on 110v AC electric. (Normal house current in USA) Not designed for use outside USA."

Maybe you can make it work anyway, but I wanted to let you know in case that's insurmountable. If you want to go for it, the Big Lots near my house has the Moonbeam in green, pink, purple, and blue; I didn't see any yellow or vanilla. It also had the 1967 cream model for... $10? $8? Something like that. And finally, they had the big metal twin-bell style; I think it was this one, from 1908.

I didn't see any of the 1949 models or the clock radio, and the 1939 one I got was the last. :( However, there's another Big Lots about 20 minutes away from me (unlike 10 for the other one), and I can definitely check there.

The Moonbeam will run on batteries, but it needs electrical current for the glowing dial and flashing alarm. The 1967 model I can't verify, but I'm pretty sure it'll run on both. All of the others run on batteries, so there shouldn't be a problem for non-U.S. people.

Just PM me!

EDIT to add: It's been brought to my attention that not all parts of the U.S. have Big Lots, either. Feel free to ask me if you want one! I don't mind a bit. :)

Sunny

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia said:

Okay, Pink, I've just GOT to have this one. I can't even find it online anywhere. I'm going to check another store or several this weekend; but if I can't find one, would you be willing to snag it for me, please?!

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Big Lots loot!

Pink Dahlia said:

1950 - Green or Pink

1949 - Round Purple
M44630_Nautical_Red.jpg

1967 - Cream (Boxy very 60s lookin')
AAAAAvAutsEAAAAAACoDzw.jpg

1939 - Round Silver
AAAAAtwx1p0AAAAAAFrKWw.jpg

I got this one:
l_c0e21d79458f8426b1c4b8ec14c4b6b5.jpg

Duh. ;)

Sorry it's not coming out of the box because I'm moving!

I picked up one of the black 1936 models too- it looks great on a waterfall dresser.
The moonbeam clocks- I didn't see any yellow ones at Big Lots; pink, green, blue, and purple. Guys, check the color of the clock, they are usually BRIGHTER than the picture on the box.
I think our Big Lots only has a few moonbeams left....

Jp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy