Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moonstone Federation 4 in Mexico...am i gonna melt??

fallbackdown82

New in Town
I just got my new Moonstone Federation 4 and am going to be taking it with me to Puerto Vallarta next week on my honeymoon. I have not been able to find a straw, or panama that I think looks good on me. Am I going to melt? I figured I will be sweating anyways, might as well have a great hat while doing it. I am going to look for a good decent priced straw in mexico, but I may be wearing the Fed. Any thoughts?

Bassman

A-List Customer
My thought is it will be rather warm for that hat.
I'm thinking of purchasing that very same color/lid but am going to wait for cooler weather.
Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon!

fallbackdown82

New in Town
I may cut out the liner if I need to while down there. It is my favorite hat by far. Once you compare the 3 with the 4, the 4 fits my frame and face a lot better.

MattJH

One Too Many
Yes, you are going to melt. Remember that heat escapes your body primarily through the top of your head, your armpits, and your feet. If you're going to wear it, remember to constantly hydrate yourself. It seems unnecessary, though. I understand you want to wear the hat but I'd pick up a cheap straw hat from a department store until you have the time to order from PanamaBob / win one of his eBay hats. I received my stingy brim Diamante and full brim Indiana within 7 days.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Nah,
you'll be fine. Just imagine you're Australian (remember to say Crikey a lot and poke venomous animals with sticks).

Flieger

Practically Family
I wore my lined Akubra Leisuretime in Egypt this spring and I was fine. I saw a couple of guys with "panama" straws on their heads in the baking hot Valley of the Kings and their hats looked like dishrags. I felt compleatly comfortable the whole trip and all that stained my Akubra was limestone dust. :)

/F

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
I wore a black Akubra Sydney in 90+ degree weather last weekend, it actually helped keep the sun from beating down on my head and face. I did take the liner out and it made a big difference. Just be careful the glue doesn't pull out too much of the felt. I used a knife to slice the glue (very very carefully with a very sharp knife). I'm not sure if the Fed is a thicker felt than the Sydney, but if it isn't you should be fine. Let us know how it goes, a Fed is on my short list.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
As Akubra is an Australian made hat, I believe that everyone should be using Celsius when discussing the temperature. Shouldn't they?

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
Ummm... No. I use SI units for science, but when discussing the weather my mind still thinks in Fahrenheit. Sorry.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
but the logic of the system,
water freezes at zero and boils at one hundred.

Even I managed to remember that and i didn't pay attention in school.

this Farenheight thing,
water boils at four gross and freezes at sixten and four eights fathoms or something like that?

As such cold isn't very cold at all and hot weather sounds cold.

78 degrees and a slight breeze lets me know what the weather is like, but 22degress sounds like I need to bundle up to go shovel snow off the driveway.

We just don't measure weather temps by making ice cubes or boiling pasta.

32 & 212

I suggest bringing some hankerchefs or bandanas with. If it is hot you wipe your forehead with said hankie or bandana. If it is really hot, run the hankie under some cool water and lightly sponge your head and neck down with the dampend hankie once in a while.

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
Hot or not

Congratulations fallbackdown82!
I agree with our Australian friends: I have an Akubra Cattleman (no liner) which I wear for work in the sun. OK, it's Holland and not in the Sahara, I'll give you that, but desert people always seem to cover up in protective clothing against the heat and sun.
Oh yes, and use centigrades (and litres, kilo's etc.); it's easy ;) !

Havana

One of the Regulars
I wear felts year round in the hot and very humid South. You get used to it. It's like a non-issue to me. There might be an adjustment period and there will be sweat.

fallbackdown82

New in Town
Well, I took it to Mexico. Honestly I was extremely pleased with it. I soaked the sweat band, but it kept the sun off of me. After a while I couldnt even tell I was wearing a hat. It worked out great! I will be posting pics soon.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
fallbackdown82 said:
I just got my new Moonstone Federation 4 and am going to be taking it with me to Puerto Vallarta next week on my honeymoon. I have not been able to find a straw, or panama that I think looks good on me. Am I going to melt? I figured I will be sweating anyways, might as well have a great hat while doing it. I am going to look for a good decent priced straw in mexico, but I may be wearing the Fed. Any thoughts?

Mate have you ever heard of the Kokoda Track aka Aussies in New Guinea in WWII??? That's what they wore- khaki version...FWIW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats