Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MOPAR products CAN fly?

Michaelson

One Too Many
I had to relate this one, if for just the oddity of the story....back in the early 60's, a U.S. Naval commander sent a letter to Hot Rod magazine with the question...is there a record for the fastest Plymouth? If so, what is it, and where do you log another record? Seems he was the captain of a carrier at sea, and they had to repair a steam powered aircraft launch on ship while underway. In order to test the launch, they usually used an obsolete plane or like item. This particular trip, a sailor had planned ahead, and brought on board :)cry: sniff sniff) a 1951 Plymouth 4 door Special Deluxe sedan. Well, they hooked the launch hook to the frame, and let her go!
At 237 feet (the length of the particular launch) the Plymouth was moving at 122 mph! Using their calculations onboard, if this had been a quarter mile track, the old MOPAR product would have been moving in excess of 674 mph at the quarter mile!!!:confused:
The car sailed off the end of the ship, travelled through the air for over a quarter mile, partially nose down, then arched into the sea....depth at around 3000 feet deep. Someday some diver will come across a parked 51 on the bottom of the ocean, and wonder if Atlantis had valet parking!:D
The big question they had for Hot Rod mag was, would this have been a land speed record, water speed record, or air flight speed record for an automobile of this size and class?LOL

Had to share what folks were doing with the items we NOW lust for back in the 60's! The article/letter can be found in the February 1962 Hod Rod Magazine, if you care to do a little research.

Regards. Michaelson

I wonder how far a Nash Metropolitan would have gone. LOL
I say a Nash because you could not put a modern car on an aircraft launcher. Imagine a new Geo or Focus---it would tear it apart before it left the deck. Plastic chunks would be flying everywhere at 647mph! :eek:

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Probably no where near the distance. The Plymouth's curb weight is 3400 pounds. The Nash would fit in the trunk. (grins) I know, I have a 50 Special Deluxe, and drive it everyday. No much moves it when you're going down the road. Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
You are in possession now of an example of the very first car I ever purchased, a 1972 Fury III. I bought mine in 1974...it was 2 years old, and had 24,000 miles on the odometer when I purchased it for $2000 even. Had a 318 V-8, A/C, and I loved it. Like an idiot, I traded it for a 76 Fury, which couldn't hold a candle to the old 72. Ah, ya live and learn....Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot