Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morality, hat size and the thrill of the find

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
I'm starting to pick up just a little bit of knowledge here, and as everyone knows, a little learning is a dangerous thing.

I'll browse thrift stores from time to time, looking for cast iron cookware, tools, and now hats. Of course, at size 7-1/2 to 7-5/8, the odds are long, and the stuff I see is usually less than stellar.

The other day, in a pile of Halloween stuff, I spotted a hat that didn't look like the usual costume toy, and when I picked it up I found it was an Akubra Snowy River that needed a cleaning but looked good otherwise. The tag said $10, and the size was....58.

I cursed and put it back, but since then I've thought that perhaps I should have purchased it and put it in the classifieds here. Not to make a profit, just as a courtesy, and to prevent it from a future as a mere costume prop.

On the other hand, there's the shipping hassle, and leaving it where I found it means some lucky dog with the size 7-1/4 head to match it is going to have the satisfaction of making a thrift find...it might even make a chance buyer a convert to quality hats.

Now, if it was a vintage Borsalino or Stetson 100 in 7-1/4 going for a few bucks, does that change things, and if it does, is it something more than the potential money involved?

Just curious what you folks think about this situation, and what you do if you stumble across a nice hat that's not for you?

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hey Top Gumby -

Interesting ethical dilemma! Not sure there's a straightforward answer in all cases. If the pile of junk were going to be picked over by somebody appreciative, I think the answer would be clear for you and for me - leave it there. If I thought it might possibly get thrown away, I'd sure want to rescue it and make it available to somebody else!

Another way of looking at this...do I have enough knowledge and experience to fix up the hat a bit and make it more serviceable and desirable? If yes, why not do so and reap the benefits? That seems fair too.

- Bill

carter

I'll Lock Up
If you want it and can afford it, BUY THE HAT!

If you can use the hat or know someone who will, buy the hat. If it's a rare find, buy the hat. If you plan to make a profit, buy the hat. If it's a gift, buy the hat.

It's a thrift store. Be thrifty and buy the hat if it has any value to you for any reason whatsoever. If not, don't buy the hat.

Someone will buy the hat eventuallly. My guess is that they will have no internal conversation regarding the ethics of their purchase.

LordBest

Practically Family
Buy it, because if you do not the person who does may be some 'Indy' or 'gangsta' chap who decides to cut down and re-dye the thing to be more 'gangsta' or 'mod' or whatever the current form of expression happens to be. Better someone who appreciates it makes a small profit passing it on to someone who will also appreciate it than it be abused in some way.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
If, for any reason, you want the hat and can afford it, buy it. If it fits, you can wear it. If you find a hat that you think you can clean up and make a small profit, that's perfectly fair. If the hat had been a vintage Somethingdesireable (or a vintage beater) doesn't make any difference in the ethical equation. You will have gone to the time and effort to find the hat (at the very least) and possibly to clean it up. If you try to charge far more than the hat's worth, it's entirely possible that you won't find a buyer. Then you'd be stuck with a hat that you paid for, but can't wear, so there's some risk involved, too.

GWD

One Too Many
Why not make a few bucks?

There is nothing shameful in making a profit. After all, that's what capitalism is all about! You've taken time here to learn about hats, in short, you given yourself an education. Your time and education have worth, why not buy the hat for $10.00 and sell it for $15.00 plus shipping? That's a 50% markup and still a great deal on a Akubra snowy river.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
A moral question? Not really. Just the fun of thrifting! :D Just try not to be too greedy! Most people don't have a clue when it comes to knowledge of hats, or even care for that matter! I think that many of us have the same thoughts when spotting a choice hat at the thrift store! If it fits and I like it, I'll usually buy it. Just last year in October I found myself a vintage bowler for just one dollar! Antique stores want from fifty to one hundred and fifty for similar hats!

Since I'm a procrastinator and haven't yet gotten involved in buying and selling on line, I remind myself of that when I spot other hats that I won't wear but that might be good to sell. I tell myself that unless I'm going to put up the hat for sale within a day or two, then don't buy it. Just leave it for someone else who might buy the hat to wear and enjoy. Besides, pack rat that I am, I really don't need to tie up a lot of money in hats I'll probably never wear. :eek:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I love Carter's attitude on this.

If it were a Stetson 100 (or a Stratoliner or a Flagship or...) I'd certainly buy it and offer it to fellow Loungers at a sufficient mark-up to make me some extra thrift store money while making the buyer jump up and down for getting such a good deal.

No shame in commerce or making profit.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Ethics, We don't need no Stinking Ethics

Ethics, We don't need no Stinking Ethics.
And if you are a 7 5/8's and the hat is a 7 5/8's you buy it and add it to "Project Bin":eek: :eek:
At least that what Carter taught me.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
I'm not against making a profit, in fact, I'm a raving capitalist! If I thought I could turn a nice fat profit, I'd buy.

With this Akubra, what flashed through my mind is that the profit potential was probably not worth the effort, but after reading all the tips and tricks for restoring felt hats here, perhaps I should have snagged it as a project. That way, even if I mad a mistake it would be no great loss, and if it turned out well I could offer it up on the classifieds here.

I can just hear myself trying to explain to the wife why I'd purchased a hat that doesn't fit me..."But it was such a bargain!"

carter

I'll Lock Up
We cannot save them all but...

tinmanzzz said:
Ethics, We don't need no Stinking Ethics.
And if you are a 7 5/8's and the hat is a 7 5/8's you buy it and add it to "Project Bin":eek: :eek:
At least that what Carter taught me.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I DID? :eek: :rolleyes: :whistling

Well, OK, maybe just the "Project Bin" part. We definitely need ethics.

I buy hats based on size 1st but also based on rarity and felt quality. Some of the hats I have will never fit my larger noggin but they are too nice to let languish unappreciated. I have at least two nutria felts purchased when I contacted the seller after an auction closed with no (0) bids. Enentually, they may have a home where someone enjoys wearing them. Presently, they are in a good foster home.

ET

One of the Regulars
If that hat is still there I would be delighted to have it. Glad to have a project hat in the right size 7 1/4=58=me. I bid 15 plus s&h=approx 25. Profit makes the world go round....

rrog

A-List Customer
I may be a lttile slwoer than everyone else, but I'm getting the slight impression that most here on the lounge would go out on a limb and buy the hat.

rrog

Stoney

Practically Family
That one sounds like a good project hat to me as well. I surely would have picked it up as long as the felt was serviceable. A re blocking and new ribbon can make all the difference between a ho hum and a YOW! Of course one can always pass the hat on to others as is, but it would be nice to fix it up a little first.

Viper Man

Banned
TopGumby said:
I'm starting to pick up just a little bit of knowledge here, and as everyone knows, a little learning is a dangerous thing.

I'll browse thrift stores from time to time, looking for cast iron cookware, tools, and now hats. Of course, at size 7-1/2 to 7-5/8, the odds are long, and the stuff I see is usually less than stellar.

The other day, in a pile of Halloween stuff, I spotted a hat that didn't look like the usual costume toy, and when I picked it up I found it was an Akubra Snowy River that needed a cleaning but looked good otherwise. The tag said $10, and the size was....58.

I cursed and put it back, but since then I've thought that perhaps I should have purchased it and put it in the classifieds here. Not to make a profit, just as a courtesy, and to prevent it from a future as a mere costume prop.

On the other hand, there's the shipping hassle, and leaving it where I found it means some lucky dog with the size 7-1/4 head to match it is going to have the satisfaction of making a thrift find...it might even make a chance buyer a convert to quality hats.

Now, if it was a vintage Borsalino or Stetson 100 in 7-1/4 going for a few bucks, does that change things, and if it does, is it something more than the potential money involved?

Just curious what you folks think about this situation, and what you do if you stumble across a nice hat that's not for you?

First of all, I dig your avatar. :) Secondly, I agree with the others and feel that if you find a nice hat for cheap, there should be no shame in re-selling it for profit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925