Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morality, hat size and the thrill of the find

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
ET said:
If that hat is still there I would be delighted to have it. Glad to have a project hat in the right size 7 1/4=58=me. I bid 15 plus s&h=approx 25. Profit makes the world go round....

I'll head out there tommorow at lunch.

ET

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the special trip. I think it would be easier to advertise a hat here in the classifieds rather than put up with ebay.....

tortswon

Practically Family
My take

If you find a hat in the Shoreline, WA area in my size (7 5/8), and I want it, it is much cheaper for me to give you some money for your time, effort, trouble, and expertise in finding it than for me to pay to fly out there. Buy the hat (and PM me if it's a 7 5/8). Best, Sam

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
I'd buy the hat, clean it, and give it as a present to a relative who likes hats and who it fits. Just because you can't use it doesn't mean you can't make a Christmas/birthday present of it to someone who'll appreciate it.

At a thrift store someone who will appreciate might find it, but some loon might take it home and use it as a cat litter box.

ET

One of the Regulars
Ahhh well (sigh)

I will watch the thrift stores a little more closely now myself now that the Halloween madness has passed. If I see good vintage, I will make sure to post it in classifieds here first.

On that note, one of the thrift stores is starting to price its donations if they are good like an antique store. Very irritating paying full screaming retail for something they got as a donation. Bah.

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
Proud of Merchandise

I've also noticed a couple thrift stores I frequent are quite proud of some of their stuff. I still go there since I know what I'll pay for some stuff and keep looking until I find what I want. Always looking for hats, but they are rare finds. Fur felt under $10 gets my attention, especially if it's my wife's size or mine (with a little coaxing). I sometime buy smaller hats to trade or sell. The last one I bought was a small 6 7/8 that says "LUXUREZE" on the liner and "form-flo leather" on the sweat. Block's Clothes Detroit is also on the sweat. Feather finish, Beaver Twenty is also there.

My Hawaiian shirt collection (everyday wear) is 90% thrift store finds as well. The need to be made in Hawaii to be real to me!

Ralph

ken100

Familiar Face
Found items

Just my thoughts, If I find a hat in a thrift store, or pretty much anywhere else, if its quality Ill buy it even if its not my size, gives me a chance to work on lids for experience, but mainly so I have a range of toppers for people to wear when they get envious of my hats, I have a workshop that people visit regarding another of my passions, and I pretty much always have a hat on and after a while people feel left out, if I can furnish them with a nice hat and they have fun with it, maybe they will catch the bug, then Im for that.
Ken :)

Topdog

Familiar Face
In regards to using inside knowledge to find, purchase and resell..... be it hats, collectibles, automobiles, etc, etc etc. please see my signature line. words to live buy ;)

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Interesting coincidence...

An hour ago, I bought a size 7 1/4 Open Road 25 at a thrift store for $10. I bought it because it has a wind trolley I need to complete a rehab project on a size 7 1/2 OR. I figured I'll just give the hat back to the thrift store when I'm done.

carter

I'll Lock Up
That's a desirable hat.

Inusuit said:
An hour ago, I bought a size 7 1/4 Open Road 25 at a thrift store for $10. I bought it because it has a wind trolley I need to complete a rehab project on a size 7 1/2 OR. I figured I'll just give the hat back to the thrift store when I'm done.

If Michaelshane doesn't buy it, put that OR twenty-five in the Classifieds here. Someone will buy it.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
TopGumby said:
I'm starting to pick up just a little bit of knowledge here, and as everyone knows, a little learning is a dangerous thing.

I'll browse thrift stores from time to time, looking for cast iron cookware, tools, and now hats. Of course, at size 7-1/2 to 7-5/8, the odds are long, and the stuff I see is usually less than stellar.

The other day, in a pile of Halloween stuff, I spotted a hat that didn't look like the usual costume toy, and when I picked it up I found it was an Akubra Snowy River that needed a cleaning but looked good otherwise. The tag said $10, and the size was....58.

I cursed and put it back, but since then I've thought that perhaps I should have purchased it and put it in the classifieds here. Not to make a profit, just as a courtesy, and to prevent it from a future as a mere costume prop.

On the other hand, there's the shipping hassle, and leaving it where I found it means some lucky dog with the size 7-1/4 head to match it is going to have the satisfaction of making a thrift find...it might even make a chance buyer a convert to quality hats.

Now, if it was a vintage Borsalino or Stetson 100 in 7-1/4 going for a few bucks, does that change things, and if it does, is it something more than the potential money involved?

Just curious what you folks think about this situation, and what you do if you stumble across a nice hat that's not for you?
I'm a 7-1/8 (57), but depending on how tight or loose a given hat is, anything from a 56 to a 58 (or 7 to 7-1/4) might work. I live in Lake Forest Park within walking distance of Shoreline, so shipping wouldn't be a factor.

Similarly I'd be willing to return the favor for your size 61 knob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner