Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More Hats to Trade! Borsalino Peluche, Sinatra-style Panama and Milan, etc.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Okay, I put up a quick picture gallery while haggling with Douglas over his fine hats, and realized that I have these other vintage lids to trade:

http://dysmedia.com/DouglasHats/

1) Custom Open Road clone from a shop in Arizona. 100% beaver. Converted from LBJ bash, into a Johnny Depp special. The crown is moderately soft; the brim stiff. The crown is full, but not quite as big as some older Open Roads: as you can see, from the front it has a negative taper; from the side it has a very slight taper. Superb quality. Size 7 1/4.

2&3) Knox 20. Lovely stingy brim, probably fifties. Has complex ribbon treatment and wind trolley. Very Sinatra. 7 1/4.

4&5) Borsalino Peluche. Along with my XXXXX Borso, this is the most finely crafted hat I've ever owned. Bashed to imitate Bogart's Maltese Falcon fedora (pretty accurately). Very tall crown -- probably sixties? I live in Mexico, so never wear it: it's *definitely* a winter hat -- long-hair, thick soft felt. I can't imagine this is rabbit, like most Borsos -- feels like top-quality beaver or nutria. The color is dark blue (the Italian translates literally as "blueberry.") As with most of my hats, I removed the liner. Otherwise near new shape. 7 1/4.

6&7) Vintage High-end Churchill stingy. Again: fancy ribbon treatment (which I foolishly neglected to photograph). 7 1/4.

8) Knox Milan. This hat was *very* expensive in the day: the price tag was $86.00; a fair bit in the fifties. This is a dead ringer for Sinatra's telescope straw. 7 1/4 (tightish -- which I think is usual for this style?)

9) Dobbs Panama. Also very Frank. The pug is stunning: very fine black silk, with gold flecks. 7 1/8.

These last two hats are pretty rare.

So, I prefer to trade than sell, as I share the same taste as many here on the lounge. I'm looking for full 7 1/4 hats, unstretched. Tall crown, wide to medium-wide brim: anything with fancy ribbon/trim -- especially contrasting ribbons that match the brim treatment. Also interested in Open Road or Strat style (although I don't really want Stetsons). I'll look at anything cool, though.

I'm up for stingy brims only if they have a very tall crown -- I have a huge collection of Sinatra stingies, with a lower crown, and need to switch it up a bit.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Nice Dobbs! Thanks, but I don't actually wear straw hats. The two I'm selling are probably the only style I would wear, and I found that I just don't favor straw...

Felt, baby. That's where it's at.

shark

New in Town
Hi, I like the custom Open Road. I don't have anything to trade in a 71/4 but is there a cash price you would have in mind?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Ah... you're a day too late. Just put it in the mail yesterday, in exchange for a vintage Barbisio.

For those keeping track: the custom OR is now gone, as are the Milan and the Panama, as well as the two Bulgarian Borsalinos from my other thread (but not the Peluche, which I'm leaning towards keeping, as it's my last Borso.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner