Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More important things than politics.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Senator Jack said:
Does anyone remember the morning Letterman show?
I used to play cards with Bill Wendell at Travers Island.

(I may have even dated his daughter. [huh])

Did he tell stories.:eek: He was very tight with Kovacs, I believe he was godfather to his kid.

WH1

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Does anyone remember the morning Letterman show? I actually used to cut class to watch that program. Thank God it got cancelled else I would have failed biology. Letterman was hilarious in those day and that carried over for about the first five years of Late Night when they were doing things like the 180 show, the tiger cam, and had Larry Bud and Chris Eliot around. What was great about the early days was that no celebrities wanted to be on it so he was stuck with acts like Kamaar the Discount Magician (who lives in my neighborhood somewhere - his flyers are still around). Then all of a sudden it got hip and everyone wanted to be on it so it became unwatchable. Yet, if you can get millions of people to tune in to a show despite Paul Schaffer's presence, you must be doing something right.

Don't forget Mrs. Marge Mendenhall.:)

Foofoogal

Banned
I saw this on another board. They suggested he was loaded. I don't think so. I think maybe bored. Seems to be just a very quiet guy. Dave seemed to be picking on him a bit for some reason. [huh]

just_me

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
I saw this on another board. They suggested he was loaded. I don't think so. I think maybe bored. Seems to be just a very quiet guy. Dave seemed to be picking on him a bit for some reason. [huh]
Dave wasn't picking on him, he was reacting to a guy who came onto a talk show but wouldn't talk, wouldn't answer questions, seemed to have no sense of humor, and was just downright weird. Dave's job is be funny, interview guests, and be funny.

Either Joaquin Phoenix was putting on an act or he didn't want to be there.

Foofoogal

Banned
Ok, I said before I have to like Dave as his birthday is same as mine.
This is what I think happened.
The guy is quitting the business and I am sure he has some sort of contractual duty to play out. He just wasn't gonna give Dave anything but Dave is the host and should of asked some ?'s of him more at least.
I also feel anyone who loses a very next of kin should be given a pass in life but that is me.
Sort of reminded me of me talking to my very quiet honey but I read between the lines after all these years. lol
I like em quiet and mysterious.
Noone found him mysterious but me? [huh] He did not look stoned though for sure.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I haven't seen the Phoenix interview but what I've read of it made me think of the time Crispin Glover was on--I still remember Dave saying "he came very close to denting my forehead with his giant shoes".

Nighthawk said:
Well, it reminded me of the infamous Tom Snyder - John Lydon interview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BZ2UoBZzEI

At least John Lydon had Keith Levene there to do some talking.

NH

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
KY Gentleman said:
I've become so tired of late night shows (all of them) making snarky political quips and comments I haven't watched any of them since the election.
I realize political humor is the engine that drives these shows but I'm DONE.
I want some mindless entertainment for awhile, you know?

Same here...I definately don't go to late night TV to escape politics.

I'll turn on RT at night hoping to catch the KHL scores and look at the Moscow cuties.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
Frankly - I prefer politics!

Maybe too much "Jay Letterman O'brien" is the cause of our societal debacle. If we had that kind of interest in politics and political debate we wouldn't have allowed such a downward spiral. Perhaps we've made television comedy an escape from the responsibilities of a free people and are about to pay the price. ;)

If you think I'm obtuse; I didn't watch the Superbowl either!

-dixon cannon

Me to...!

Frykitty

Familiar Face
imoldfashioned said:
I haven't seen the Phoenix interview but what I've read of it made me think of the time Crispin Glover was on--I still remember Dave saying "he came very close to denting my forehead with his giant shoes".

That's what I was thinking too! The Crispen Glover Interviews were some of the most bizarre tv moments I have seen, hilarious. Clowny Clown Clown lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner