Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More than one twisted cross?

There was even an US Infantry division that had an swastika as its symbol, in pre-war times; it was changed once the symbol became distasteful because of Nazis.

That was the 45th Infantry Division, originally a unit of the Oklahoma National Guard, which fought in Sicily and Italy during World War II and also served in the Korean War. Prior to 1939, in honor of the state's Native-American heritage, the division's shoulder patch was a yellow swastika on a red square set at an angle. From 1939 on the swastika was replaced by a thunder bird, another Native-American symbol of good luck.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
That would most certainly apply to European/American/Judo-Christianity based cultures and societies, but I wouldn't think so for Asian/Hindu-Buddhism based cultures and societies.
As I posted earlier, it is used here as the map code for Buddhist temples, and is in relatively daily use in other Asian cultures as well, where Buddhism is prevalent (as Hinduism is not as widely spread).

A couple of times I have ordered candles made in India by a womens cooperative and there is invariably a swastika design on one of them. I will use that one at home, but not give it as a gift, in case it offends!

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
I am currently taking a history class on Total War covering Europe in the 20th Century. Today we started our discussion of European Fascism and one of the first things the professor talked about was fascist symbology. The fasces was probably the main symbols of Italian Fascism. It is a bundle of sticks with an axe blade emerging from the center. Despite its use by Mussolini's regime it is still used in many places today, including the US, e.g. the seal of the National Guard, the Lincoln memorial, Colorado state seal. On the other hand the swastika, despite all of its many uses before Naziism, rarely appears anywhere anymore (in an American/European conotation as previously mentioned). The reason that he gave us was due to the more insidious nature of the Nazis. The swastika will now always be a Nazi symbol because of the attrocities committed by them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy