Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most hats in one year

scooter

Practically Family
Just yesterday I picked up number 11 since I joined the forum about 5 months ago, so don't feel bad. And what else would you do with your hard earned money? LOL And I hope my wife doesn't know about this forum, cause she certainly doesn't know about number 11.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Don't know about the year, but one terrific Saturday this past fall ...just before Thanksgiving ... I was out driving and stopped at antique stores in two local small towns.
In the first one I found a new condition Stetson Strat for $3 and a great condition blue Knox Floating Cloud for $5. And in the next small town, at another antique store I got an incredible Wormser with a back bow ... I really don't think it had ever been worn, for $17.
The final aquisition ... this is still the same day ... was an off white and sweat stained Stetson western that I trimmed the brim on, reblocked and made a Petersham ribbon for. It ended up looking like the one that Bruce Willis wore in Last Man Standing. That one cost a buck. I paid more for the ribbon than for the hat and I wear it all the time with jeans now.

That was all in once day, though to be fair, I had scoped out the first two before and was just going back to get them.

Sam

job

One Too Many
My wife has turned my purchases of hats into justifying purchasing more shoes, purses, and clothes.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Gee, the most I ever got in one year was just two. I may consider slowing down, if not completely stopping my build-up, on my hat collection once I have about five or six fur felt hats total. So far I have two hats that I'd mainly wear for hiking or being outdoors (one of which is my serious rain hat), and I've currently got one felt that I enjoy mainly wearing around town and the city.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Twenty-one (17 for me, 4 for my wife) since October of 2010. Now that I have a lot of the "basics" covered, I can forsee only the occasional vintage or (hopefully) custom purchase now and then.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm . . . in the last 12 months, only about 5, 4 of 'em vintage. The first couple of years I was into hats, though, I probably picked up 6 or 7 in one year from Meyer the Hatter.

I'm a piker.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I ain't saying but Mr Fawcett's bank put on another teller to take care of my checks....;)

And I know I am by no means at the top of the who bought the most VS list.:)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Around fifteen years ago I ran into a blowout sale at Marshal Fields' flagship store in Chicago. I bought 4 Borsalino fedoras, 3 Makin fedoras and around a dozen flat caps in tweed, wool, corduroy and cashmere. I think I paid maybe $200 for the whole lot. Back in the day Fields used to have some incredible blowout sales of high end merchandise. Now they're Macys and carry shlock....:(

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
Wow! I was worried about myself, but now I believe I am OK. I have always been a hat guy, from the time I was a small kid, but I usually never owned but a couple of straw cowboys, and a couple of felt cowboys at any one time, and I don't count the multitude of ball caps, however, since I found this site a little while back, I have purchased 3 Resistols, and 3 Stetsons, including one older Open Road 25, and a Resistol Black Gold.

So, I guess that makes it six for this year so far. I was worried that hat collecting was becomming an obsession with me, but you guys have put me at ease, since I am overshadowed greatly by others.

I am hoping hot weather will get me out of the felt hat buying mood, although I have often worn felts even in the summer. The bad thing about owning too many hats for me is I now don't know which one I want to wear on any given day, and some get set aside and I often just grab the same old hat, day in and day out, but 5 days a week it's still ball caps to work, unless the weather is really bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot