Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth Damage Repair

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That is GRRRRRREAT, Mr. P. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

If you can avoid using the adhesive, by all means do so - and you developed a very smart method here.

Thank you so much for posting the pix and explanation. I always kicked myself for not thinking to document how I did some of my repairs...

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks guys!

Gene, I would have used it if I had any but I didn't want to go out at 0100 when I was working on it. I hoped that the shellac in the stiffener would act somewhat like an adhesive but I don't know how durable it will be. I may have to re-do it with your adhesive suggestion in time if it begins to lose the filling. Thanks for the help.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin, I love do-it-yourself suggestions, and yours is one of the best I've ever seen! Thanks for sharing it with us. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

RHY

One of the Regulars
Moth Damage

I purchased a Stetson with some moderate moth divots and track on the under side of the brim. The seller said that it may be sanded down with an extra fine sandpaper to smooth out the felt. This is the first time I heard of this solution.

Any comments on this solution and are there any other suggested solutions to this problem?

RHY

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
RHY said:
I purchased a Stetson with some moderate moth divots and track on the under side of the brim. The seller said that it may be sanded down with an extra fine sandpaper to smooth out the felt. This is the first time I heard of this solution.

Any comments on this solution and are there any other suggested solutions to this problem?

RHY

After reading through Lefty's 'link page', I've respectfully deleted the details of my unworthy effort! I will be going back over it with Harplayergene's technique.

Thanks for posting this, Lefty...I need to learn how to search better.

Mr. Paladin

I got this advice from Gene, Elizans, and RBH and modified it as noted. It has held up well for me so far.

EDIT by BARTENDER - both threads were merged. Thank you!

Jabos

A-List Customer
Mr. P-How is the repair holding up? Has the felt remained "stuck" in the hole? I have a new Ebay Dobbs with one big big hole. I'm a little scared to try HarpPlayerGene's method-I'm afraid of doing something stupid, like let a drop of glue land somewhere else on the hat!

I need to get the hat cleaned. Gene, or Mr. P-do you think a cleaning at Optimo would affect the moth repair? Perhaps I should get it cleaned first, then do the repair.

One other question-Gene, Have you experimented with other types of glue? I'm just curious why you use the spray glue. I would assume that if you used a glue that was too "soupy" it would seep through the felt and show on the backside (I'll bet liquid "Super Glue" would be a disaster:eek:) My moth hole is almost through the felt, so I am worried about "seepage". Isn't there another type of glue that might not set up so fast-or is that the reason you choose this type?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Jabos said:
Perhaps I should get it cleaned first, then do the repair.

One other question-Gene,...I'm just curious why you use the spray glue. My moth hole is almost through the felt, so I am worried about "seepage"... is that the reason you choose this type?

Hey Jabos,

First, I do think you should have Optimo refurbish the hat prior to repairs. Also, while you're at it see what Graham says about repairs. Mine is an amateur's approach but it has worked for me.

Yes the reason I use the Super77 in this manner is because it is so thick, almost dry as soon as you spray a blob onto the paper, so there is no way it will seep anywhere you do not intentionally place it with the toothpick. I have repaired holes all the way through the felt by going in layers and working from one side and then the other until the grafted in felt fluff is level with the rest of the finish.

The color of the hat can have a lot to do with the visual end result. On medium to dark hats, it is most effective. On light hats, the grafted in part with (albeit the tiniest amount of) adhesive imbued into it may show as darker than the rest of the hat.

The whole thing is somewhat of a gamble and I got used to the process by working on real beaters first.

If there is any way to permanently fix a divot or hole without using adhesive, that would be preferable.

Post a pic. If the hat's dark enough, I'd be happy to work on it for you. Send it for cleaning first, then send it to me. PM me for address when you're ready, if you like.

Otherwise. g'luck!

Mr. Paladin

Jabos said:
Mr. P-How is the repair holding up? Has the felt remained "stuck" in the hole?

I need to get the hat cleaned. Gene, or Mr. P-do you think a cleaning at Optimo would affect the moth repair? Perhaps I should get it cleaned first, then do the repair.

Jabos, the repair job is holding up well for me. I have worn the OR I repaired quite often and am still doing so in the heat of spring/summer here in Texas. I have not had any sign of the stiffener that I used to fix the felt in place, loosening its grip. I would absolutely not risk my repair to have the hat cleaned. Gene's system is much more stable for the rigors of that I would think. If you use the pack/stiffener/pack method, I would definitely have the hat cleaned first.

Good luck and be patient when you start. Gene was absolutely right when he said it takes a lot more scraped felt than you think. If packed tightly and properly, it really does!!!

Let us know how it comes out.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
You can cover/repair moth damage and holes as you say. And the methods described here are quite ingenious. Thanks for sharing them with us all.

But how desirable are such repairs really? The cover up notwithstanding, hasn't the integrity of the felt structure still been compromised?

Repairs of this sort bring to mind automobile Bondo repairs. You can apply the proper product, sand the area, and repaint. But at the end of the day wouldn't we all prefer to buy and own a car that has never been wrecked (no matter how good the cover up may appear at a glance)?

I don't want to sound overly critical. Obviously such repairs can be both practical and entirely appropriate. But I would hope that buyers are told in advance when repairs of this sort have been made on a hat. This would be doubly important where a sale is made without the buyer having the opportunity to examine the hat closely.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Thanks Mr. P on the update and advice. Thank you Gene for your expertise on the topic. I will send it to Optimo for cleaning first and I will ask if they do any moth repairs. I don't have that many hats and no beaters to practice on, so I might just take you up on the repair Gene. In fact, I was going to approach you about possibly doing the work for me, but you are such a nice guy that all it took was a little tease and you of course volunteered as I expected. If I did take you up on it, I would pay you for your effort. You should go into business-"HarpPlayerGene's Magical Moth Repairs".

Zetwal-I wouldn't think the integrity would be so compromised for small moth nips that it would be unwearable. I think it is all cosmetic. Obviously if I could have a hat moth free it would be better. However, my little project is an example of how I found a great vintage hat with a minor defect. I'd rather have the hat with the defect than no hat. That type of hat might never come back up on Ebay again. That is just like I would rather have a '69 Z-28 with a dent in the right rear fender repaired with bondo than no '69 Z-28. [huh] I think all Ebayers should ask about moth damage before purchase if it is not made clear by the seller.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
...wouldn't we all prefer to buy and own a car that has never been wrecked (no matter how good the cover up may appear at a glance)?

You bet we would. Sometimes life just contains these imperfections and sometimes people attempt to patch 'em up. Not ideal, just ideas. :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
...and Snake Oil Sales... :D

Hey Gene, what happened to the previous avatar with the new uncreased MCO? I liked that one because SO amusing!

Jabos

A-List Customer
zetwal said:
Hey Gene, what happened to the previous avatar with the new uncreased MCO? I liked that one because SO amusing!
Agreed Gene. That is THE BEST avatar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran