Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth Damage Repair

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:

Has anyone tried Gene's 'super 77 and felt fuzz' method lately? I'm about to, and want to make sure I get as much input as possible - it's a nice hat, but several holes that go all the way through the top.

So I guess not?

Chinaski

One Too Many
ScottF - yes I have tried Gene's moth repair method. I didn't use the same adhesive spray he used as I couldn't find it. I used a different brand.

However, it worked quite well on a deep moth divot. It wasn't through the felt, but deep and noticeable right above the ribbon at the front left side of the hat.

Using sand paper under the sweatband makes it easy to gather up some donor felt. The tricky part of the whole deal is applying the adhesive into the moth divot and getting the felt/adhesive mixture in there correctly.

Mine did not come out perfect, but is greatly improved. I could probably spend a bit more time and make it even less noticeable. Give it a try on a less-beloved hat and see how it goes.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Chinaski said:
ScottF - yes I have tried Gene's moth repair method. I didn't use the same adhesive spray he used as I couldn't find it. I used a different brand.

However, it worked quite well on a deep moth divot. It wasn't through the felt, but deep and noticeable right above the ribbon at the front left side of the hat.

Using sand paper under the sweatband makes it easy to gather up some donor felt. The tricky part of the whole deal is applying the adhesive into the moth divot and getting the felt/adhesive mixture in there correctly.

Mine did not come out perfect, but is greatly improved. I could probably spend a bit more time and make it even less noticeable. Give it a try on a less-beloved hat and see how it goes.

Thanks Chinaski, I just arrived home with a spray can of Elmers' version of spray adhesive - didn't want to fork out $16.99 for the Super 77. Looking forward to trying out Gene's trick. I already have felt saved up from using the hat sponge on it and thought about making a 'plug', since the holes are all the way through.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Come to think of it, I believe mine was the Elmer's as well. I think my only mistake was rushing it a bit and ending up with a bit of a hardened BB type thing in the divot. A bit too much glue. It looks fine, but doesn't fee like the rest of the felt.

Annixter

Practically Family
Another adhesive that may work is Gasgacinch automotive gasket sealer/primer. It is fluid enough to work with using a toothpick or needle, but it takes a little longer to tack-off than typical adhesives. That would allow for a little more time to play with the patch. When it dries, it's not going anywhere come rain or shine.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Annixter said:
Another adhesive that may work is Gasgacinch automotive gasket sealer/primer. It is fluid enough to work with using a toothpick or needle, but it takes a little longer to tack-off than typical adhesives. That would allow for a little more time to play with the patch. When it dries, it's not going anywhere come rain or shine.

Thanks Annixter, Chinaski. It sounds like a tricky process - I might end up just stuffing a felt plug in the hole, gluing the bottom of the plug to a piece of surgical tape, then sanding the top smooth.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Really,..it doesn't taste very good. Would be better if they just ate grass or something.:rolleyes:

They did before the fall

Now they seek out and destroy beloved fur felt fedoras and great old wool suits

You can have some hideous suit from your high school days and a great old ivory wool from the 40s hanging side by side and the bugs will hit the good one every time

Fallen world:rage:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I neva worry about moths.
stetsonnevamoth.jpg

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
I tried it. It sure is tedious work. You have to go slowly using very small amounts of the super 77. Work to fast and you get hard dark spots in the felt that look almost as bad as the moth holes.
I started by working the divot with a sharp needle(like golf). I grabbed some doner fur from under the sweat band( using fine sand paper) Make sure you get alot of fur , as I found the results looked better if you pile a mountatin of fur on the hole and the mash the felt into the hole, and swish it around in a circle. I used a pin to apply the glue into the divot before I mashed in the felt. Use as little glue as you can.... Agian don't use alot of glue , work slow . I fixed 2 major divots and a hole right throgh the felt, it took almost 1 1/2 hours. The knox 25 I picked up from the bay for 22 dollars(because of moth damage ) looks a lot better now :)

Annixter

Practically Family
Jeff, any pictures of before and after? Does the patch blend in well, or does it at least look like the felt consists of a different color at those areas?

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
I will take some pics of the after and post them a little later. I think it blended rather well and if I was a scammer I am sure I could get away with a moth free post on eBay ;-)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Great job, Jeff. I still haven't gotten around to fixing mine, but will document with pics as well.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
You've heard of micro neuro surgery. ?

I think we should consider this thread a how too for micro furo surgery.

:eusa_clap

Annixter

Practically Family
Great Job! Those were some pretty nasty moth holes, but it now looks as if the area is just slightly discolored--almost wet. Even then, it doesn't look like it is noticeable from a typical distance one will see the hat at. :eusa_clap

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gene..........?

HarpPlayerGene said:
Yeah, for that, sanding a little to try to even out the surface some and then brushing (counterclockwise, when looking down on hat) will probably be the best, safest solution.

I have repaired deep divots and actual holes with a glue method. I use sand paper - 150 grit, I think - to scuff up some fluffy felt from under the back brim or inside the crown.

Then, on a piece of paper, I spray a spritz of Super 77 - available at art stores and some office supplies. Then, quickly before it tacks up, I get some of the adhesive on a sharp toothpick and dot it into the damaged area. This is an almost invisible amount of glue I'm applying and I totally avoid getting any on the undamaged surface.

Then I pinch some fluff and begin to smush it into the divot. When it's a hole, I have to do this process a few times and from both sides. It's important to sort of massage the felt material in so it knits up a little and gets flat. It's better to do this in degrees, in steps, than to try to gob a bunch of glue and felt in too fast. Very delicate procedure.

One time, for an area about the size of a peanut that was thin and had a hole in the center, I actually made a stencil out of a Post-It and covered the rest of the hat so I could lightly spray the adhesive directly onto the area I needed to build back up.

I have saved the look of about six hats - two of them with holes right through. Only when the hat gets wet do you see the difference in the nature of the felt in those areas. HOWEVER, I'm sure it's possible to make a gooey mess so try this at your hat's own risk.
Isn't there any other kind of glue we can use? I couldn't find any of that stuff man. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran