Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth Damage Repair

Kangfish

Familiar Face
Besides the 77 spray wich worked fineI've also used a brand of fabric glue called "Aleens OK to wash it" and "Aleens Fabric Fusion". Both work well. The Fabris Fusion will withstand dry cleaning fluids (supposedly) and the OK To Wash It withstands soap and water. Both available at Wal Mart or any fabric store. - John

Dobb

Familiar Face
Moth damage repair?

There is a hat in my sights that is real nice in every way except the ugly moth damage. Is it possible to repair , or at least fill and blend in, the ugly little spots? I can't believe how many hats are damaged by moths. I've never seen a moth fly out of my closet.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Very helpful. After reading the repair suggestions, I am a little closer to buying the hat.

A lot depends on how deep the divots are and how many of them. I just got a Dobbs Gay Prince which had some very light moth nibbles that are virtually invisible after some work with a hat sponge and hat brush.

Dobb

Familiar Face
A lot depends on how deep the divots are and how many of them. I just got a Dobbs Gay Prince which had some very light moth nibbles that are virtually invisible after some work with a hat sponge and hat brush.

There are three divots. Two are , or appear to be, deep. But photos on ebay can be misleading.I can't believe the difference in color on one hat I bought. It appeared to be gray and when I opened the box it was a brown hat. My computer skills leave much to be desired but i will get the ebay number and post it here so I can get some input.

Dobb

Familiar Face
Here is the product number (251033129730) I like this hat for it's high crown, nice color, and basically new condition with exception of the moth bites. It would be my first western style hat.

hatsandart

New in Town
Moth bite repair

I'm looking for some ideas for repairing or at least "reducing" the appearance of moth bites. Smaller bites which are under the brim and those that are not immediately noticeable are not really my concern. I do have several great hats with moth bites that are deep (1/2 way through the felt) which are on the crown that are impossible to not to see immediately.
Are there methods for repairing these? or does it just get to add to the hat's 'character.'

Any input will be grately appreciated.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
There are hatters who can turn the hat inside out. That will likely be the best option for deep bites on tbe crown.

It is really tough to deal with moth damage. I would leave it as is because you might end up making it worse. This is based on my past experience.

Annixter

Practically Family
I agree with MK. The other issue is that the worse ones look clustered, so it will be much harder to trick the eye as opposed to a patch spot here and there. It's too bad moths got to it because it's a nice hat otherwise.

kmbrady

New in Town
Interesting thread and not to change the subject too much but noted a comment by Iyar (#90) above who mentions having a hat turned inside out to hide the moth damage. If you had that done or did it yourself would the nap of the felt now be reversed? So that you would need to brush clockwise on the top?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Interesting thread and not to change the subject too much but noted a comment by Iyar (#90) above who mentions having a hat turned inside out to hide the moth damage. If you had that done or did it yourself would the nap of the felt now be reversed? So that you would need to brush clockwise on the top?
If you go to the conversion corral hat topic, and find BOND, he can answer those questions. He turns the hats inside out and rebuilds them...His work is top shelf!

navarre

Vendor

Flipping can sometimes be an option, but you will have a few things to contend with.

One: a great portion of hats have not been finished on the inside of the crown. So you will probably have to address that.

Two: Depending on the age or era of the hat, chances are that the inside is not the color of the outside or brim. Sometimes this is due to fading on the outside of the hat. Others seem to have more of a possible color degradation. Stetson Silverbelly from around the 1950's a classic case of this. They quite often have turned to a pinkish hue on the inside and if you attempt a pouncing, you will only expose more and it is not an even nor attractive pink color.

Three: The sweatbands can often leave a stain or "shadow" over time, just like a ribbon. This is an easy cover up depending on the ribbon you choose.

Four: Moths really love to get under the sweatband too! In fact the region behind sweatband and ribbon is usually the most affected as the little guys don't like the light.

Now please don't take this post as just me trying to get you down. Every hat is different and poses its own adventure. I have flipped a great many hats. I just thought it might be nice to give you a quick synopsis on what things you or others might expect when giving "The Flip" a try.

Best of luck with it!

Bob

Flipping can sometimes be an option, but you will have a few things to contend with.

One: a great portion of hats have not been finished on the inside of the crown. So you will probably have to address that.

Two: Depending on the age or era of the hat, chances are that the inside is not the color of the outside or brim. Sometimes this is due to fading on the outside of the hat. Others seem to have more of a possible color degradation. Stetson Silverbelly from around the 1950's a classic case of this. They quite often have turned to a pinkish hue on the inside and if you attempt a pouncing, you will only expose more and it is not an even nor attractive pink color.

Three: The sweatbands can often leave a stain or "shadow" over time, just like a ribbon. This is an easy cover up depending on the ribbon you choose.

Four: Moths really love to get under the sweatband too! In fact the region behind sweatband and ribbon is usually the most affected as the little guys don't like the light.

Now please don't take this post as just me trying to get you down. Every hat is different and poses its own adventure. I have flipped a great many hats. I just thought it might be nice to give you a quick synopsis on what things you or others might expect when giving "The Flip" a try.

Best of luck with it!

Bob

Thanks for the pointers, Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112