Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moths and fur felt

Monte

A-List Customer
They love felt. What's even more sad is what some sellers think their moth eaten hats are still worth after critters have had their way with them (hats).

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Indeed, they do. They leave tell-tale divots and tracks in hats. This thread will give you some info on repair options.

My wife thinks it's funny the way I freak out when moths fly in to the house at night, but she doesn't know how evil they are.

A

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Evil critters -I'm plagued with them. Keeping hats in the light helps. The sweaters they've destroyed are the ones kept in dark drawers.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Yep, clothes moth larvae (for that is what we are talking about) will eat fur felt, they will also eat carpets, rugs, mixed fibres containg wool & even nibble at stuffed animals & fur coats etc.

Regualarly wearing a hat is of course the best method of avoiding moth damage, but storing them in the light & not in cupboards or wardrobes, will reduce the chances of attracting them as they much prefer dark & dingy recesses in which to fulfill their life cycles.

If you play with your hats often, keep them moving so to speak & not let them sit in one position untouched for months on end, you probably won't have a problem with them, you can always throw a few moth balls around for good measure should you have to leave them unattended for a while.

By the way, the adults are very small, so if you see moths flying about in your house, they probably aren't clothes moths so go easy on 'em.:rolleyes:

Side Note:

Eulan was used on some old Euro (not sure of American) hats.

This late 1930s Borsalino of mine still has the Eulan mark mentioned below. By the way no moth damage. Would be interesting to see how others made out that have the Eulan mark. Not sure if anything like this is used today.

14380195503_152228c9f5_c.jpg

Some more info from Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933):

(Rough Translation)

The term "Eulan" she brings a moth protection products on the market, which must be almost defined as "ideal", and in its effect probably should only stand there. Neutral, scientific agencies at home and abroad have repeatedly eulani-based goods tested and found to be the same even after years of use was still completely mothproofed.

Eulan appears in several brands, namely: Eulan new, owls and NK Eulan W separately. Since the Eulanisierung is simple in execution and can be performed without large additional costs, it should be introduced in valuable plants as a natural measure consistently. For the Eulanisierung of wool, hair and velour felt especially Eulan are new or Eulan W specially considered.

The first mark is given dyebath as an addition to, when the goods are to be acidic or chrome colored and eulanisiert. It works with 3 percent of the weight of the goods Eulan new triggers by over-pouring boiling-hot water and are the clear solution slowly with stirring into the dye bath. Advantageously, you would specify the Eulanzusatz only at a temperature of the bath of 60 ° C, since Eulan easily results in deposits in deeper temperate baths. Goods as is commonly used for coloring. • Eulan W specially suitable mainly for the after-treatment of colored felts. It works with 2 percent Eulan W specially the weight of the goods at the cold bath and fleet of about 1:10 to 1:20, and moves the material in the tub or where the Eulanflotte circulate in the apparatus. The effect of "Eulan new" is not affected by washing, while that of "W Eulan extra" something down-impaired. For the best hat manufacture a Eulani-tion of the finished dyed and fulled Stumpens by post-treatment with Eulan W recommends separately. The "Yellow Hand in black box" is the sign for completely "moth real" goods.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorphenylid

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner