Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moths!!!

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
I just noticed a few moth holes on one of my newer modern tweed jackets, and I'm absolutely stupified. I don't know what to do besides dry clean everything, and that would cost hundreds of dollars that I don't have. I haven't seen any moths in my room, though I did see them now and again at home, and now they've likely hitched a ride up to maine. I just wish I could fumegate the whole room.

mikepara

Practically Family
Get fresh Real Lavender

Lots of it in pillows, sprigs or little saucers. Moths hate it.
Our Moms didn't have lavender pillows in their knicker draws for the nice smell!

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
It's a dorm room, and I'm positive fumigation is a violation of dorm policy.

I just gave all of my clothes a fair spritz of Lysol, that stuff kills everything.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Yep, I think dorms usually prohibit such things. There are a number of "organic" bug killers out there that might work if the lavendar or the Lysol doesn't. Look for something that is pyrethrin-based.

Another alternative is to bag all your stuff or place it in a fairly air-tight container (i.e. rubbermaid tub or something), then introduce the insecticide.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike's solution is best, and you can use good old mothballs to kill them. Get a couple big plastic tubs, like Mike suggested, and put the mothballs inside. Get tubs that seal pretty well, because mothballs have to be in an enclosed area to work properly, so that the fumes can build up sufficiently to asphyxiate the little buggers. When you look for mothballs, they will be either napthalene or paradichlorobenzene. Use paradichlorobenzene if you can find it, because napthalene can cause discoloration in wool and felt if it gets moist. If you can't find paradichlorobenzene, just make sure that the napthalene can't come in direct contact with your clothes by putting it into a tupperware with holes punched in it or something to that effect.

The other alternative is to wear them all regularly. The larvae will not survive you wearing the clothes and hats around. They hate that!

Have you seen Alfie (original). You'll notice that he keeps his suits in the light and brushes (or has a dame brush) 'em before wearing. This policy has seen me through til now. Take real care to brush under the collar, under the pocket flaps etc. A good horsehair brush is what's in order. (also mothballs work well - not for brushnig - scentless ones available today, too).

Do you have a freezer? I freeze everything i get into the house for 3 days, then dry clean. Freezing will kill anything that's living in yer clothes, as a rapid effective solution (i hear this is what musea do with fabric etc).

bk

Brooksie

One Too Many
Once you get everything cleaned and fumigated (or under control) then you can by cedar chips or little balls of cedar - moths hate cedar (to keep the situation under control). I put them in my sweater drawers and in the drawers where I keep wool hats and scarves. You can try putting some cedar in your jacket pockets while they are hanging in the closet. I found cedar balls at wallmart. I also have a cedar chest which works good for blankets. I prefer the cedar balls to moth balls because they are natural rather than chemical.

Brooksie

matei

One Too Many
Yesterday I think I saw a suit-munching caterpillar in action...

I take the Tube to work in the AM, so we're packed pretty close (like sardines). Well, the person in front of me suddenly had a wee, squirmy caterpillar appear from under his suit collar. It was very small indeed.

That was enough for me - I took a step back. I don't like wee squishy-squirmy things appearing in front of me as it is, but even less one that could potentially Pac Man his way though wool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy