Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Once upon a Time in America is the coolest fedora and vintage clothing movie I've seen. The film's timeline jumps between the 1920s, the 1930s, and the 1960s, and the fedoras get stingier as the characters get wrinklier. There are New York street scenes set in the 20s with hundreds of extras in period clothes and hats which I could stare at for hours. The main characters all wear fedoras which are very natural looking on them and well fitted :

600px-Ouatia-fn10b.jpg

Picker

One of the Regulars
"The Greatest Show on Earth," the circus movie with Charleton Heston and Jimmy Stewart is a good fedora movie. Stewart's hat becomes an interesting part of his clown outfit, and Heston's hat is almost always on his head. His character, by the way, is proof that the fedora, leather jacket, and khaki pants look did not originate with Indiana Jones.
After the big train wreck, Heston's injured character is lying down and asking for his hat. Stewart's character, who is being carted off to jail, plants his own hat on Heston's head. Good scene.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
"The Greatest Show on Earth," the circus movie with Charleton Heston and Jimmy Stewart is a good fedora movie. Stewart's hat becomes an interesting part of his clown outfit, and Heston's hat is almost always on his head. His character, by the way, is proof that the fedora, leather jacket, and khaki pants look did not originate with Indiana Jones.
After the big train wreck, Heston's injured character is lying down and asking for his hat. Stewart's character, who is being carted off to jail, plants his own hat on Heston's head. Good scene.

Sure did'nt. Started with Gary Cooper in "For whom the bell tolls" in 1943.

forwhomthebelltolls111.jpg

forwhomthebelltolls2-21.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"War of the Worlds" (1953 version, not the Tom Cruise debacle) has great hats; a variety of Open Roads with different creases and other fedoras as well. We just finished it last night.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Antenna TV is an oldies network on one of my OTA stations. Three Stooges Marathon was on on a rainy cold day over the holidays and I was surprised to see the nice fedoras on characters, and at times, on the Stooges.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Once upon a Time in America is the coolest fedora and vintage clothing movie I've seen. The film's timeline jumps between the 1920s, the 1930s, and the 1960s, and the fedoras get stingier as the characters get wrinklier. There are New York street scenes set in the 20s with hundreds of extras in period clothes and hats which I could stare at for hours. The main characters all wear fedoras which are very natural looking on them and well fitted :

600px-Ouatia-fn10b.jpg

Ashamed to say that I've never seen that film...

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hey WB!

Blackthorn is correct.
As is the case in so many thrillers, the makers took the easy way out

Same problem with Muholland Falls (sp?)

They have a tough time relying on good writing and acting, so they fall back on naked dames, lots of blood and bathroom talk

They should look at the old Mike Shane movies with Lloyd Nolan ... or Bogart and Cagney ... all of which also have great hats, BTW

Two films that did it much more classicly were Road to Perdition and Public Enemies and they both had great hats, too

Sam

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
They should look at the old Mike Shane movies with Lloyd Nolan ... or Bogart and Cagney ... all of which also have great hats, BTW

Two films that did it much more classicly were Road to Perdition and Public Enemies and they both had great hats, too

Sam

Yeah, the Michael Shayne and Bogart/Cagney films have some great lids. I haven't seen Road to Perdition, but you're right about Public Enemies; good, early '30s hats with smaller brims.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
favorite movie hats?

Someone recently asked a question to the effect of " who cares what hat an actor wears?" and it got me remembering that films are one of the initial reasons I got into hats to begin with.

So what are some of your favorite movie hats?

Some of my top picks (not necessarily in any order):

Val Killmer, "Tombstone"
Johnny Depp, "Dead Man"
Daniel Day Lewis, "There Will be Blood"
Jeff Bridges, "True Grit"-- the bowler
Everyone in the recent "3:10 to Yuma"
Leonardo di Caprio's strange turned up bowl-ish hat in "Gangs of New York"

*Kevin McNally as Joshamee Gibbs in "Pirates... Black Pearl" (near the beginning)-- anyone have any idea what this hat is called or where to find a good still shot of it?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The Indiana Jones hat definitely, The Last Crusade being my favorite iteration.

Johnny Depp's Dillinger hat from Public Enemies is simply stunning.

I'm also quite fond of Tom Hanks' hat from Catch Me If You Can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner