Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

Hercule

Practically Family
http://th46.photobucket.com/albums/f131/craiget/th_bogeyfedora2.jpg

th_bogeyfedora2.jpg

+1

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...and to piggyback on my earlier post re: "Gangs of NY"... what the heck are these strange and beautiful things?

Hi, I chopped the image to save space, but was Gangs of NY at all accurate with respect to the clothing? Some of those guys were, well, oddly dressed from what I've seen elsewhere. Of course, only the well off took pictures back then.

Later

Neophyte

I prefer Clint Eastwood's hats from the movies Pale Rider and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Both unique yet understated, and both contributing to my love of western hats.

Last edited:

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Now that I'm thinking back on the movie Gangs of New York I'm starting to see something that I rather like. There are a lot of formal hats being worn in a decidedly informal way, even the colors are a bit off for a true formal hat (IMO) yet they are cool. I want to try and pull that kind of thing off.
Does anyone often wear a more formal hat with less than formal wear?

1961MJS

Now that I'm thinking back on the movie Gangs of New York I'm starting to see something that I rather like. There are a lot of formal hats being worn in a decidedly informal way, even the colors are a bit off for a true formal hat (IMO) yet they are cool. I want to try and pull that kind of thing off.

Hi, I THINK (nothing to back this up) that there must have been something in the hand me down / Goodwill store type thing back then. The other explanation might be that only "formal" hats like Bowlers, Top Hats, Derbys etc were being produced in NYC at that time period.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
In the 80's it was Harrison Ford
Amsel_Raiders1_Unedited.jpg

And Paul Hogan respectively
CROCODILE-DUNDEE-1986_diaporama_portrait.jpg

Then in the 90's it was Michael Biehn as Johnny Ringo
biehnringo.jpg

And Bruce Willis as John Smith
lastmanstanding.jpg

Then came along Chris Cooper in Seabiscuit
37900_gal.jpg

But then I came full circle back to the original that I dug on do much.
Indy-Sitting.jpg

And after those , then I discovered the nuances of different hats along the historical lines of movies. Managed to find a few vintage lids to match the ones that I really liked and they were spot on. Others, I just let go because I just couldn't see myself in them even though I really liked the look of them. But the quest will always go on.

Cheers!

Dan

danofarlington

Plenty.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Though I like many of the hats one see's in movies, not many would inspire me to get a copy made except for this one. It is the Stetson John Wayne wore in so many of his movies. It was done in two or three colors and most all had the same crown and brim curl to them. I would opt for a version of this one :

John_Wayne_cowboy_hat_1_1.jpg

as a side note, three years ago one of his Stetson's in this style came up for auction in Arizona :

2007-03-13__11-44-16Image31.gif

And went for $86,250.00 :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
Probably posted before somewhere, but I just saw "Conflict," one of the rare movies where Bogart plays a twitchy semi-evil guy, more like "Treasure of the Sierra Madre." Lots of hats on everyone, but especially the street scenes, of which there are several. Just a sea of different hat styles. Thin ribbons, homburgs, derbies, great fedoras. Good stuff, and not a bad movie. Frank

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Probably posted before somewhere, but I just saw "Conflict," one of the rare movies where Bogart plays a twitchy semi-evil guy, more like "Treasure of the Sierra Madre." Lots of hats on everyone, but especially the street scenes, of which there are several. Just a sea of different hat styles. Thin ribbons, homburgs, derbies, great fedoras. Good stuff, and not a bad movie. Frank

Yeah, that was a good one.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up

almost always.
Since mine are usually in the "bowl" genus, people have at times related my dressing to the infamous steampunk style, but I really just wear regular clothes.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
The hats that did it for me in fedoras were the ones in the movie The Sting. On TV it was the Untouchables. Musicals, Guys And Dolls. Westerns was the James Garner show Maverick and James West's hat in The Wild Wild West.

RBH

Bartender

I also watched this film. I think I like this hat on Bogart more than any other. [well maybe the Sierra Madre fedora may top the list]

conflixcxt.jpg

Neophyte

It's not a film, but this was what inspired me to first wear a hat. RBH, this is the scene I was talking about in the Court Square Cafe. It's from a Japanese program entitled BACCANO!. The word roughly translates to Ruckus/Fiasco/Noisy occurence, which is what the plot intentionally becomes.

So the hero (guy in green) has just been inducted into the upper ranks of a major fictional crime family in a fictional New York 1930s setting. He has just returned from a hat shop with a new hat, as one of the traditions for new inductees is for their mentor to buy them their first quality hat. When this guy, Firo Prochainezo, runs into a small gang, he totally annihilates them when they attack him without letting his hat get messed up in any way (as doing so would be dishonorable). You may have to watch it several times to see how he does it.

It was a great show, but unfortunately the English dub of the show makes it REALLY cartoonish (versus the mature atmosphere of the original) versus the original Japanese dialogue. For your convenience, though, I provided the link to the English dub, so you'll at least be able to tell somewhat what's going on. And don't worry, that old guy they're mugging is actually a bad guy.

This was the scene that made hats cool for me, despite the badly drawn hat the hero wears lol:

[video=youtube;yUPpcIOAC0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUPpcIOAC0Y[/video]

and if you care at all, here's a link to the poorly dubbed English version, in case you wanna know whats going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEg9J78DpT4

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko