movie hats that inspired you...

Discussion in 'Hats' started by John in Covina, Dec 13, 2005.

1. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

Also for me, any of the hats that William Powell wore in The Thin Man series of films.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

2. warbird

warbird One Too Many

This movie is coming on TCM tonight. Right now in fact.

3. handlebar bart

handlebar bart Call Me a Cab

Thanks for the heads up

4. ukali1066

ukali1066 Practically Family

Great to see my 3 year old thread still has legs !

I love Sheriff Bullock's hat from Deadwood....looks like a Homburg with a flattened brim to me

[​IMG]

5. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

You're proably right. And what's more, I believe that there weren't too many really snow white hats around. They were probably more of a very light gray like my Louis Custom.

6. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Great little clip. Makes me want to enter that shop, engage in some silly banter with the clerk and finally spend some serious bucks on hats... :D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  7. bradford

bradford Familiar Face

Glad to see Seabiscuit get mentioned here. I saw it in the theater when it came out and recently rewatched it after picking up a used DVD of the movie. Great film in general and a great hat film as well!

I also noticed that during one scene, Jeff Bridges wears a panama with an optimo crown similar to the one I just got and am wearing in my avatar picture.

8. jkingrph

jkingrph Practically Family

The blue/grey thin ribbon pushed me to have Art make me one like it, and later I picked up an Adventurbilt, but reshaped it more like the one Chris Cooper wore in that movie also.

The new Akruba Campdraft "Silverbelly" I just received is more of a very light tan, and I immediately bashed it like the Jeff Bridges hat.

9. bluelight

bluelight New in Town

It's not a fedora, but the first hat I actively sought out was the top hat Clint Eastwood wore in "Pale Rider." It had it's own scene (albeit non-speaking) all by itself.

10. JAVIER

JAVIER Practically Family

11. T Rick

T Rick Practically Family

I can't speak on the movie hat (movie is from 1948), but Mr. Hedberg's avatar I am pretty sure is him wearing his Stetson Nostalgia, a recent model from Stetson that has been discontinued- they made it for 3 years only, didn't sell that many (sounds like around 900 pcs exist). It came open crowned, was a 40's style more or less, a pretty straight sided Fedora. Love mine, here's a pic (they can be bashed a number of ways of course, B.J.'s is a bit lower than mine think). Brim is 2 1/2 inches, crown (open) I think around 5 1/4 inches (?). Similar in many respects to the Akubra Fed IV (which has a bit narrower ribbon). HTH.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. TVDinners

TVDinners New in Town

Like many people, I was brought to the world of fedoras by Indiana Jones. After finally making a perfect replica of the hat he wore in Raiders of the Lost Ark, I very quickly found that it looked terrible on my head. The crown was too high, the brim too... I don't know what. It looks good on my shelf, but meanwhile I searched for something stingier. In addition to this, I decided I wanted something that looked more "stereotypical noir detective" than "1930's adventure man." I began to worship every hat Bogart ever wore, And then I saw The Watchmen: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/4383/rorschach.jpg From that, I decided I wanted a hat shaped like that. At the moment, I'm trying to combine my loves into a stingy gray fedora, similar in shape to Rorschach's but with a tighter pinch. My only worry is that this style may be too early-sixties. Does anybody know if these short-crowned stingy-brimmed (characteristically 1960's) seen in the 1930's-1950's?

13. alanfgag

alanfgag

Great actor in a great hat with a totally weird pinch. Alistair Sim in Hitchcock's Stage Freight - fortunately, these deep side pinches on a classic optimo panama were cropped out of view most of the time on the TV version.

[​IMG]

14. monbla256

monbla256 Call Me a Cab

The one "movie Hat" that I've always admired was the fedora gary Cooper wore in "For Whom the Bell Tolls". He sported the original "Indy" look as well as I've read that it was the inspiration for Indiana Jones's apparall.

[​IMG]

15. He does have that Indy look, doesn't he?

16. monbla256

monbla256 Call Me a Cab

Here's another still from the movie that shows the hat better I think as well as the signature khaki shirt.

[​IMG]

17. The Edwardian

The Edwardian New in Town

The Strangers in Dark City.

18. RBH

RBH Bartender

The Wettest County In The World, is not out yet. But it looks as if it may have a some good hats in it.
    A shot of actor Tom Hardy.

[​IMG]

19. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

I know what you mean. We see these hats in movies that look great on someone else,...but look dopey on our own heads. :eusa_doh:
    Here's a pic of some cool hats from the 30's. James Cagney's stingy brim (about 2-1/4 inch maybe?) hat looks to be about perfect for him.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

20. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

You're probably right about that. I saw a quite amazing James Cagney movie from the 1940s called "West Point Story" or something like that, where Cagney is leading cadets at West Point in a Broadway-type show. He does a solo song and dance number called "It Happened to Me" where he wears a zoot suit and wide-brim hat. It is a very cool number, but he's not the wide brim hat-type of a guy, for sure. But if you ever get a chance to see that movie and watch his number it is definitely worthwhile.