Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Ive always liked the way Spencer Tracy wore this fedora in Bad Day at Black Rock:

spencer+bad+day.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I liked Spencer Tracy in the hat. But I could just never buy an overage, overweight one-armed man beating up all the roughnecks in that town. It was just preposterous, so I am blocked from really liking that movie.

Well I meant the hat. I've never seen the movie, but if it's anything like you describe, I don't think I could watch it. :)

rue

This isn't really a movie, but it's a short with a lot of hats in it, staring Burns and Allen. I thought y'all might like it, but I wasn't sure where else to put it [huh]

Your Hat (1932)

[video=youtube;sz70pJznM18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz70pJznM18[/video]

danofarlington

Another hat I like is Peter Lorre's lid from M (Fritz Lang, 1931).

m_01.jpg

Attention to detail! The next shot is just a few seconds after the first. Note the different crease in the hat: The reverse taper from the first image is now gone. The back has been raised cosiderably while the front pinch now has a very pronounced kink to it... :D

Well, he was pretty worried at the time, so I assume it's the result of fast-flowing thoughts bubbling up in the gunfight.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've also always liked that white William Powell Thin Man hat. I hope to get one like it some day. The contrast with a dark suit is very good. I like it more because I see few like it.

I'd be willing to bet that his hat was NOT a white one. Probably more of a light grey, as if you look at his white shirt, the hat would have similar hues & brightness of "color" in B&W film. Been shooting B&W film for over 40 years now and White does not photograph like that. :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

danofarlington

I'd be willing to bet that his hat was NOT a white one. Probably more of a light grey, as if you look at his white shirt, the hat would have similar hues & brightness of "color" in B&W film. Been shooting B&W film for over 40 years now and White does not photograph like that. :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

Maybe a bone or cream color then? I just don't see it as light gray--too bright in the movie. I don't really know the answer, but it's got to be in the very light family. I wonder if Art Fawcett could speculate about its real color, given B&W. The importance of knowing the real color, is getting one made like it some day.

Torpedo

One Too Many
BTW, in the movie "Bad Day at Black Rock," Lee Marvin wears an Open Road-like hat with the Ft. Worth crease that has been discussed elsewhere, otherwise known as the foreman's crease.

...TCM

I have missed those Ft. Worth/Foreman crease reference threads. Could you point to them?

BTW, I do like Conan's hat, too. Surely because its proportions look classic, and not modern.

danofarlington

I have missed those Ft. Worth/Foreman crease reference threads. Could you point to them?

BTW, I do like Conan's hat, too. Surely because its proportions look classic, and not modern.

This is it.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?53780-Ft.-Worth-Stock-Show-hats
Yes, the Conan musician's hat looks classic. It could be a vintage hat. But many modern hats look very similar, I have seen, and if a hat looks crisp like that I am inferring it's new. Given their availability, I think that's probably what it is. But it does look classic, that's true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112