Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Dm101

A-List Customer
Hadn't thought of these movie hats for a while until I wore my coat today:

nx8h2u.jpg

29c2q6v.jpg

smpyip.jpg

Hmmm...that reminds me, I need to add a chinstrap to the Amish....just in case.

Dm101

A-List Customer
If you look at enough authentic photos from the "19th century American west" you soon realize that working men (i.e., those who spent a lot of time outdoors in all kinds of weather) seemed to prefer wide brimmed hats, but would repurpose any style of hat to suit their needs. As far as authenticity is concerned, Hollywood has gotten it wrong far more than they've gotten it right.

Precisely why I prefer wide brim hats...I'm always outdoors and it keeps the sun outta my face and off my neck too. Still haven't figured out how to stop the sweat...bit I'll get it figured out eventually.

Watched "Baby Doll" last night a mid 1950's feature directed by Elia Kazan with Karl Malden, Carol Baker and Eli Wallach... what a great hat movie. No pretty hats to be seen all well worn with well earned stains and rumples.

Traffic light poles look too modern.
I wonder if that American flag in the background has 50 stars?
Shhhh, you aren't supposed to notice those things. ;)

I still haven't quite figured out Costner's hat choice for the role...
Costner is only acting in this movie and not producing or directing it. He probably had some input with regards to wardrobe, but ultimately those decisions are made by the director, costume designer, and/or any number of Suits within the production companies.

Actually the writer contacted me to ask about styles they wore in photos. I suggested maybe a Stetson Open Road. He tried to get me on making hats for it, but the Wardrobe person already got Fedoras.

I've seen a lot of pics of Hamer over the years and most hats appear to me to be OR like dress westerns and the hats in some of his early days would likely be described as cowboy or westerns. I've seen a few of him wearing a fedora in later years.

Sorry you lost out on that work. Would've been great and the cast would have been better hatted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW