Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I enjoyed the movie The Highwaymen, and was taken with the shape of Maney Gault's (Woody Harrelson's) hat - I guess you'd call it a Western fedora? It's really hard to find good photos of the hat, but it's a broader brim, snapped up in back, curled up some on the sides, and well-worn.

Harrelson Hat 1.jpeg
Harrelson Hat 2.png
Harrelson Hat 3.jpg

Not a fast-paced movie, no computer graphics, but an interesting story and a well-done movie none-the-less. It's good to see the point of view of the lawmen, and not another movie glorifying murderers.

I enjoyed the movie The Highwaymen, and was taken with the shape of Maney Gault's (Woody Harrelson's) hat - I guess you'd call it a Western fedora? It's really hard to find good photos of the hat, but it's a broader brim, snapped up in back, curled up some on the sides, and well-worn.

View attachment 178439 View attachment 178440 View attachment 178441

Not a fast-paced movie, no computer graphics, but an interesting story and a well-done movie none-the-less. It's good to see the point of view of the lawmen, and not another movie glorifying murderers.

We were in SW Texas in the spring and it hit 106 degrees. We escaped the heat in the RV resort TV room and watched this movie. I enjoyed it a great deal. I loved the hats in the movie....all well worn; sweat stained and/or rumpled. Harrelson's character shares my last name but have not been able to determine any family linkage.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
I had Major Moore make the hat that Christian Bale wore in Hostiles. It was tweaked a little here/there but overall couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. It began life as an all-black hat...had a little aging tossed in the mix and done !! Couldn't be more happy with the outcome. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Screenshot_20190714-102819_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190714-102832_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190714-102845_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190714-141107_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190714-141119_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190714-141130_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190714-141144_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190714-141205_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190818-164624_WhatsApp_resized.jpg
Screenshot_20190826-201702_Gallery_resized.jpg

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I had Major Moore make the hat that Christian Bale wore in Hostiles. It was tweaked a little here/there but overall couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. It began life as an all-black hat...had a little aging tossed in the mix and done !! Couldn't be more happy with the outcome. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

View attachment 181998 View attachment 181999 View attachment 182000

View attachment 182002 View attachment 182003 View attachment 182004 View attachment 182005 View attachment 182006 View attachment 182007 View attachment 182008

Nice hat. That contrasting brim stitching really sets it off. That brim-down "slouch hat" configuration is my favorite for a non-dress hat. Thanks for posting.

View attachment 181998 View attachment 181999 View attachment 182000

View attachment 182002 View attachment 182003 View attachment 182004 View attachment 182005 View attachment 182006 View attachment 182007 View attachment 182008
Great hat on you Steve. Nice idea to clone it from the movie.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
Thanks for the appreciative comments guys. Mike did a nice job with it, and the execution was faithful to the film without being a blatant copy. Though I am curious as to how they put such a bend in the brim as they did with Bale's hat. Though I'm sure they used A) Multiple hats throughout filming and B) probably a softer felt as well.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
Steve, I can't speak for them but I suspect they either have a flange to set the brim with that shape or it was flanged flat and finished by hand, the way many hats are, especially westerns.

Given the flange of the movie hat vs mine do you think there's room to put more bend in the hat as to appear closer to the film? OR am I overanalyzing the piece? Thanks again to all who have responded thus far.

OR am I overanalyzing the piece?

I think you just answered your own question. It takes awhile to show appreciable wear to a quality felt hat. A hat such as yours is built to last. They use great components, from the felt to the thread and sweat. Wear it for awhile and see if you grow on each other. I am not a fan at all of artificial distressing, from denim to felt and they did a great, UNDERSTATED job on that one. JMO. There are many ways to shape that hat differently. Try that one for awhile and if it's not agreeable, many here will offer advice.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
I think you just answered your own question. It takes awhile to show appreciable wear to a quality felt hat. A hat such as yours is built to last. They use great components, from the felt to the thread and sweat. Wear it for awhile and see if you grow on each other. I am not a fan at all of artificial distressing, from denim to felt and they did a great, UNDERSTATED job on that one. JMO. There are many ways to shape that hat differently. Try that one for awhile and if it's not agreeable, many here will offer advice.

That's sage advice right there, thank you. I tend to sometimes get caught up 'in the weeds' at times.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the appreciative comments guys. Mike did a nice job with it, and the execution was faithful to the film without being a blatant copy. Though I am curious as to how they put such a bend in the brim as they did with Bale's hat. Though I'm sure they used A) Multiple hats throughout filming and B) probably a softer felt as well.
Or lots of rain and tugging it down tight.
B

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Given the flange of the movie hat vs mine do you think there's room to put more bend in the hat as to appear closer to the film? OR am I overanalyzing the piece? Thanks again to all who have responded thus far.

Hey, I'm considering a copy pretty much the way that one is now. I have two big black hats, and an Indian war Dress hat, and I could use one to wear also. I like the stitching. I also might do that shape in brown or a dark gray. The bigger hats (one's a Quigley) really need cowboy boots to look right and I don't wear them every day even in Oklahoma.

Later

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana