Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

I still like the hat Harrison Ford wore.
163cbc3e-0844-4242-9098-52642e9851d0-jpeg.235328

I love that hat. I'd like to think I would look pretty much like him if I was wearing it. :rolleyes:

All the movies filmed at Beale's Cut, also known as Fremont Pass, San Fernando Pass, and Newhall Pass, in the Sierra Nevada mountains, southern CA. These are old, shot from a distance, & some are fuzzy film grabs.

Broken Ways (1913)
IMG_8860.JPG

Twisted Trails, staring Tom Mix (1916)
IMG_8861.JPG

Straight Shooting, staring Harry Carey (1917)
IMG_8862.JPG

IMG_8836.JPG

The Lion's Lair, staring Fred Church (1917)
IMG_8863.jpg

Hell Bent, staring Harry Carey (1918)
IMG_8864.JPG

IMG_8865.JPG

The Man of Might, staring William Duncan (1919)
IMG_8867.jpg

IMG_8868.jpg

IMG_8866.jpg

Continued

Good fun looking through those, HJ and thinking of the ones I’ve seen. Helluva spot for a bushwhacking.
Thanks BB! I enjoyed looking at the early pics.

East of town here there is a deep cut with a rail line running thru it known as the Blue Cut, named after the Blue River not far away. It is on the edge of the rolling hills & a former township known as the Sni-A-Bar Hills. The Jesse James gang blocked the tracks forcing a payroll train to have to stop in the cut once, now known as the Blue Cut robbery.

During the Civil War Federal troops would often follow the rail lines when passing thru unfamiliar territory. Quantrill's men told stories of pinning in & ambushing Federal troops in an area they called the Slaughter Pin. We suspect the Slaughter Pin is the Blue Cut.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. It was definitely a fun one. I think just about anything that was directed by John Ford is a good movie. Stagecoach and The Searchers are two of my favorites directed by Ford. Hollywood just doesn't make 'em like they used to.
So true, TJ. When John Ford died, an era of top quality died. There are still some good westerns but they are few and far between, and no one director has the A-list name for quality that Ford did.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Robert Montgomery and Rosalind Russell, "Night Must Fall" 1937. Montgomery is a charming killer who carries a hat box.

nmf2.jpg

I saw this movie several times on TCM. It's one of my favorite Montgomery movies. Watching a few of these old crime/drama movies from the 1930s with their shadowy lighting effects and mood settings I gotta wonder sometimes if film noir may have possibly started earlier than 1940.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Robert Montgomery and Rosalind Russell, "Night Must Fall" 1937. Montgomery is a charming killer who carries a hat box.

nmf2.jpg

I saw this movie several times on TCM. It's one of my favorite Montgomery movies. Watching a few of these old crime/drama movies from the 1930s with their shadowy lighting effects and mood settings I gotta wonder sometimes if film noir may have possibly started earlier than 1940.
Some of the American directors were keenly aware of what was going on over in Europe, where German Expressionism (stark lighting and shadows) was having a big effect. One of the greatest things about John Ford (see above) was his depiction of the human figure in the landscape, which was pretty much a trait he developed on his own. I was just watching The Grapes of Wrath the other night and was really struck by such scenes: for instance, one in which Tom Joad, just out of prison, is walking down a country road all by himself and you can feel the distance and the loneliness.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up

nmf2.jpg

I've never seen that, but will watch it the next time it comes on.

nmf2.jpg

Never saw the original, but I did see the 1964 remake when I was still quite young. Scared the crap out of me!

I know of the 1964 remake but I never saw that one. I have watch it and compare. The original is really good.

As a bonus: the remake did have Susan Hampshire in the lead role (these days known, I kid you not, as Susan, Lady Kulukundis). I'll have to watch the original (I think I can handle it better now). Thank goodness it didn't leave me with a permanent fear of hatboxes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points