Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Having a whiskey, a beer chaser and tipping my hat to the recently departed Mr. Douglas.

64A2A7E9-5F16-448B-9DC8-AB3F100673D7.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Googie Withers as Blanche in Hitchcock's: The Lady Vanishes.
hat6.jpg
Withers is probably best known to British audiences as the governor in Within These Walls. A British television drama program made by London Weekend Television for ITV and shown between 1974 and 1978. It portrayed life in HMP Stone Park, a fictional women's prison.

She played the lead character, a well-groomed, genteel governor, named Faye Boswell and episodes revolved around her attempts to liberalise the prison regime while managing her personal life at home. Another prominent character was her Chief Officer, Mrs. Armitage (Mona Bruce). Googie Withers left after three series.
hat7.jpg
She had a long life and died aged 94, here she is, complete with hat, collecting her gong from The Queen, (CBE)
hat5.jpg
I wonder how many knew, when Within These Walls was very popular, that Blanche, in The Lady Vanishes, had quite a racy part?
hat4.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Leslie Phillips, in Crooks Anonymous: Phillips was the master of suave who had a reputation for playing upper class fools and lecherous smoothies:
leslie phillips.jpg
Marlene Dietrich: She was so successful at trading on her glamorous persona and "exotic" looks, that she became one of the highest-paid actresses of the era.
Marlene Dietrich.jpg

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I love this hat from the Hateful Eight. If I can't find who made it I'll have to find someone who can.

View attachment 228584

'Baron Hats' made it but don't ask them to make one for you, not only are they overpriced but their movie hat repros, even of those made by them used in the films, are nothing like the originals.
32022294_2.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We have a TV channel that airs lots of old movies. Clicking around the channels this afternoon I came across that timeless classic, "The Sting." I came for the hats, stayed for the cars and got drawn into the plot. I remember going to see it at a cinema in the West End of London in the week between Christmas and New Year, 1973.
st1.jpg st2.jpg st3.jpg st4.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The old movie channel has been showing a number of modern day gangster movies, some serious performances.
Brando, DeNiro, Pacino, & Depp. (I think.)
gf1.jpg gf2.jpg gf3.jpg gf4depp.jpg
While I was searching for those hats these were worthy of an airing. First up Actress Esther Ralston's Cloche.
esther ralston cloche.jpg
The irrepressible Buster Keaton.
buster keaton pork pie.jpg
Actress Nina Leen wears a style known as a cartwheel, my missus has a couple of hats like it.
Nina Leen cartwheel.jpg
What is it about a lady in a floppy hat? You would think that it would look rain soaked but it looks chic. Or is the Gallic charm of Brigitte Bardot?
bardot floppy.jpg
Old blue eyes, enough said:
sinatra fedora.jpg

Last edited:
The old movie channel has been showing a number of modern day gangster movies, some serious performances.
Brando, DeNiro, Pacino, & Depp. (I think.)
View attachment 229133 View attachment 229134 View attachment 229135 View attachment 229136
While I was searching for those hats these were worthy of an airing. First up Actress Esther Ralston's Cloche.
View attachment 229137
The irrepressible Buster Keaton.
View attachment 229138
Actress Nina Leen wears a style known as a cartwheel, my missus has a couple of hats like it.
View attachment 229139
What is it about a lady in a floppy hat? You would think that it would look rain soaked but it looks chic. Or is the Gallic charm of Brigitte Bardot?
View attachment 229140
Old blue eyes, enough said:
View attachment 229145
Buster's hat, now there is a legit Pork Pie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto