Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Weather Hat Company did most of the main hats for Killers Of The Flower Moon.

WEATHER HAT COMPANY

Fuu8XMZWwAE2-8x.jpg
You going out to see the movie this premier weekend? I’ll probably wait until after the weekend is over. Supposed to be a rainy wk here next wk anyway.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Watch the channel Grit. They show old western movies and old movies from50’s and 50’s in general. You hat lovers will see a variety of hats.

Of course we can’t talk about hats without mentioning Michael Jackson. His love for the hat is iconic.

Looks like a Stetson from early this century. Isn’t that box from the 1950s?

The box is what I noticed first, it just looks...wrong. Mostly because it should have a rim around the bottom. Most of the old box photos we have show what appears to be a white box with the logo.

Watch the channel Grit. They show old western movies and old movies from50’s and 50’s in general. You hat lovers will see a variety of hats.

Of course we can’t talk about hats without mentioning Michael Jackson. His love for the hat is iconic.

Oh, yes we can.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Jackson is like one of us and he actually loved the hat where other famous celebrities at the time didn't show that love or it wasn't documented. It was part of fashion and once the hat was gone they also ditched them. Jackson has worn fedora for 3 plus decades when people then, and now, still think it is goofy.

I believe Golden Gate Hatters made his hat but most of the stuff he wore were Borsalinos. There was a Stetson he was pictured in.

Jackson is like one of us and he actually loved the hat where other famous celebrities at the time didn't show that love or it wasn't documented. It was part of fashion and once the hat was gone they also ditched them. Jackson has worn fedora for 3 plus decades when people then, and now, still think it is goofy.

I believe Golden Gate Hatters made his hat but most of the stuff he wore were Borsalinos. There was a Stetson he was pictured in.

While I enjoy his music, you can count the folks on here who look to him for hat inspiration on one finger.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
While I enjoy his music, you can count the folks on here who look to him for hat inspiration on one finger.
While true but he did have an influence on the floppy looking fedora that everyone has come to love. Floppy creases and tops. He rarely wore anything where the crease were steamed stiff and perfect like the modern hats.

To be honest he didn't wear one just for the sake of television, movie or it was a style at the time. Just saying.

He wore it through the 90's and 00's when people thought they were ugly and out of style. Even Sinatra ditched them and he is highly regarded as a fedora wearing person.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
While true but he did have an influence on the floppy looking fedora that everyone has come to love. Floppy creases and tops. He rarely wore anything where the crease were steamed stiff and perfect like the modern hatS.

For one, I think you overstate his influence considering the amount of contemporaneous fedora wearers. As noted, he's not particularly an influence on most of the regulars here. Indy had a far bigger impact.

For another, this is the movie hats thread and though forum digressions are an everyday thing, I'm struggling to see any relation to hats from movies.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
For another, this is the movie hats thread and though forum digressions are an everyday thing, I'm struggling to see any relation to hats from movies.
Moonwalker, 1988

The famous white Borsalino from Smooth Criminal was in this movie. Joe Pesci was great in it too.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Moonwalker, 1988

The famous white Borsalino from Smooth Criminal was in this movie. Joe Pesci was great in it too.

To quote Dave Foley from the most underrated sitcom of all time, Newsradio: "If what you're saying is true...then I still don't care."

If you had posted the poster in the first place, I would have glanced at your post and moved on. But tacking a generic appreciation for Jackson's "love for the hat" onto a discussion currently centered on the period westerns in Killers of the Flower Moon is just a weird non sequitur.

RBH

Bartender
You going out to see the movie this premier weekend? I’ll probably wait until after the weekend is over. Supposed to be a rainy wk here next wk anyway.
Yes I just got back and I loved it!
The length of the film did not bother me. Full of great hats!!
Looks like a Stetson from early this century. Isn’t that box from the 1950s?

The Stetsons were modern. On most of them you could see the JBS branding iron.
But that did not bother me .
The GQ article explains the hats they got pretty well.
As to the box, I’m sure they used what they could find.

mullitt

Familiar Face
I thought the hats in Killers of the Flower Moon were a big letdown. Modern crappy felt a lot of the time, overly stiff and the creases reflected that. Weirdly bad shapes too, anachronistic just like a lot of the music they used.

It is my personal opinion that anyone who wears a particular hat because Michael Jackson wore it, is ………. odd.

I can't argue this (mostly because I agree and don't want to argue it), but an influence is an influence. I'm sure there are people out there who would think us "odd" because some of us like the Indiana Jones hat, or just about any hat worn by Humphrey Bogart, or...well, you get the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo