Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie sidekicks?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of straight man vs comic there is an interview or chat show on Youtube in which Groucho Marx compliments Dan Rowan's talent as a straight man. Groucho explains that the role of straight man is often overlooked and underestimated by those who are not involved in comedy.

To me Jack Benny is as much a straight man as comedian. Maybe more.

Edward

Bartender
But the weird thing about that interpretation is that Stan Laurel was actually the creative guy on the team. He was the one laboring over gag and story ideas, and frequently sitting in the cutting room with the film editor and director. Oliver Hardy generally hit the golf course when they were done with a day's filming, and rarely contributed beyond his performance. (Not to imply he wasn't a comic genius too! Just less driven/dedicated.)

Fascinating comedy factoid that can't be repeated enough: Stan Laurel was Charlie Chaplin's understudy during their pre-movie career in music hall/vaudeville with the Fred Karno Company!

What I'll always love Laurel for is that he was offered megabucks to ditch Ollie and go solo, and had the integrity to refuse.

DesertDan

One Too Many
One of my faves is Kurt Russell as Jack Burton in "Big Trouble In Little China"
Everything about that movie is brilliant, but the fact that it's actually a movie about the sidekick just takes the cake!

emigran

Practically Family
OK What about Edward Everret Horton to Fred Astaire...
OR even Victor Moore to Astaire...
and certainly Eric Blore was sidekick to a number of stars in different movies of the Era inclucing the famous sleuth Arsenne Lupon...

And +1 for James Gleason

And I must include the great Eve Arden whose snappy quips stole many a scene...

Last edited:

Haversack

One Too Many
Two sidekicks from the same movie: The Great Race (1965)

Keenan Wynn's Hezekiah Sturdy to Tony Curtis's The Great Leslie.

Peter Falk's Maximilian Meen to Jack Lemmon's Professor Fate.

And for slightly darker tastes,

Peter Lorre's Doctor Einstein to Raymond Massey's Jonathan Brewster.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Edward Everett Horton was a great supporting actor. You should see him with Douglas Fairbanks in Reaching For The Moon. This movie is one of my favorites, I was used to thinking of Fairbanks as an action hero but he gives an outstanding performance in this romantic comedy.

Edward Everett Horton was a great supporting actor. You should see him with Douglas Fairbanks in Reaching For The Moon. This movie is one of my favorites, I was used to thinking of Fairbanks as an action hero but he gives an outstanding performance in this romantic comedy.

+1. I also love him in "Holiday" and too many others to name. As you noted, had some sidekick roles, but I think of him as more of a supporting actor.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As far as silent pictures go, there's always Snitz Edwards. Watch any dozen movies made between 1920 and 1928, and you'll see little Snitzie in at least half of them, always playing the hero's valet/butler/manservant/stooge. Or, in a word, sidekick.

df53f34160bd0c8c3c47be639186ac53.jpg

Here he is with Buster Keaton in 1926. Buster was only five foot six, so you can see that Snitz wasn't exactly a larger than life figure.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Snitz Edwards was quite memorable in the THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD as Douglas Fairbanks partner in crime. Creighton Hale was also in great demand during the silent era for light comic relief playing foppish roles.

Denton

One of the Regulars
Great thread! How about Ned Sparks?

[video=youtube;L8nJ8YjhMaA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8nJ8YjhMaA[/video]

He always plays pretty much the same character. In Lady for a Day, as Happy, "the boy with the sore foot," he is the Dude's sidekick, and in Imitation of Life Claudette Colbert more or less adopts him. In some of the above clips, he plays a more avuncular or authoritarian role.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Chief Dan George stole pretty much every scene he had in The Outlaw Josey Wales from Clint Eastwood. Since Eastwood was the director, I'm sure he knew a good thing when he saw it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points