Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies That Make You Smile

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Hmmm.......

I have to go with:

Father Goose
That Touch of Mink
The Quiet Man
Arsenic and Old Lace
Auntie Mame
The Princess Bride

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
WH1 said:
One of these days I am going to have Dean's grey suit he wears in his first scenes :cool2:

Incidentally, Dean Martin had his suits made by Sy Devore in Las Vegas. Dino was tall and broad -- a 42 Long -- and Sy Devore gave him light shoulder padding and trousers that tapered. (I was lucky enough to own a suit made for Dean Martin in 1954. :))

WH1

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Incidentally, Dean Martin had his suits made by Sy Devore in Las Vegas. Dino was tall and broad -- a 42 Long -- and Sy Devore gave him light shoulder padding and trousers that tapered. (I was lucky enough to own a suit made for Dean Martin in 1954. :))

i thought Devore was and still is in Las Angeles?
They are still in business, if you go to their website they have some great info about the 50's/60's. At one point they had a barbershop on site very popular with the comedians particularly george burns. Devor made suits for both martin and Lewis, Elvis, Sinatra, etc. They have started make made to measure again.

Details on the suit made for Dean. I have always admired him as a dresser and as a cool individual.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
WH1 said:
Details on the suit made for Dean. I have always admired him as a dresser and as a cool individual.

I wish I'd taken photos of it! But this was back in the late '90s, and I didn't have a digital camera.

The suit was a beautiful milk chocolate brown. A lighter weight wool with a small diamond pattern woven in. Interestingly, it was double-breasted, but the lapels were slightly narrower than what you see in '40s suits. A four-to-two button jacket with pocket flaps. Oh, and it had a matching waistcoat. The trousers had only two inverted pleats, instead of four: they were well-cut and tapered, with no cuffs. The lining was pure silk, and the suit had all the signs of being handmade: pick stitching on the lapels, pocket flaps, etc. The inside breast pocket label said: "Sy Devore, Los Angeles & Las Vegas. Mr. Dean Martin. (month, day) 1954." The size was approximately a 42 Long.

I found it at an estate sale, in the closet of a doctor who'd bought stars' clothes over the years. He also had a wonderful grey flannel suit made by MGM studios in the late '50s for a very, very young Roger Moore. The suit was of incredible quality -- the best I've ever seen.

I ended up selling Dean Martin's suit to one of the TV writers of "Will & Grace". Art Fawcett got the Roger Moore suit.

Rosie

One Too Many
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Never Ending Story
The Muppets Take Manhattan
The Color Purple (I think this fits the bill for most of my movie lists)
Barefoot in the Park
Mystery Men
The Wedding Singer

Flivver

Practically Family
Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) never fails to put a smile on my face. I'm a fan of Judy Garland, and a World's Fair buff so this film is a natural for me.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
It (1927)
Just Imagine (1930)
42nd Street (1932)
Gold Diggers Of 1933 (1933)
Footlight Parade (1933)
Wonder Bar (1934)
Happiness Ahead (1934)

These movies really put a smile on my face and give me that warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been trying to narrow down my list -- there are hundreds of movies that fit into this category for me, but here's just a bare handful of my favorites:

The Navigator (1924)
Girl Shy (1926)
The Strong Man (1926)
Sunny Side Up (1929)
Diplomaniacs (1933)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Evergreen (1934)
Hips Hips Hooray (1934)
My Man Godfrey (1936)
Modern Times (1936)
Nothing Sacred (1937)
**Any '30s Busby Berkeley musical!**