Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies That Make You Smile

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Movies bring many emotions and facial expression to us. We sometimes cry, we sometimes are angry, we sometimes are feeling a whole array of emotion. But what movie just makes you smile?

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
here's a few...

harold and maude
that certain age (with deanna durbin and all that 1930s sportswear, who wouldn't smile?)
the parent trap
the bachelor and the bobbysoxer
moon over miami

US Marshals. Gerard gets his man, fugitive gets his name cleared and gets the girl, Robert Downey Jr.'s character gets blown away. Other than the hideous torture of a perfectly good Boeing 727 airliner, what's not to smile about? (Well, smirk, which is the best I can manage.)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Palm Beach Story.

Especially when the Weenie King is on screen:

cwienie.jpg

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Love Crazy (1941)
You Can't Take It With You (1938)
Libeled Lady (1936)
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948)
Devil and Miss Jones (1941)
Any of the Andy Hardy movies (1937-1946):)

vonwotan

Practically Family
You Can't Take It With You is definitely up there. Cabin in The Sky and Ziegfeld Folies. Porgie and Bess always makes me smile, whether its the movie, the UK or Lincoln Center broadcasts, or just the recordings.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Doris Day & Audrey Hepburn Movies
Any of the "Thin Man" movies
"Singin In the Rain"
"There's No Business Like Show Business"
"Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"

WH1

Practically Family
Oceans Eleven, the original not that disaster with George Clooney and the Blah pack. I love watching Dean Martin, he is so smooth and steals every scene he is in. Particular favorite is the scene when Peter Lawford calls his mother for money. Also the suits are amazing. One of these days I am going to have Deans grey suit he wears in his first scenes and Cesar Romeros double breasted suit in his first scenes recreated. Besides that movie is fun not making any great statements or anything and the ending is one of the all time greats.:cool2:

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
WH1 said:
Oceans Eleven, the original not that disaster with George Clooney and the Blah pack. I love watching Dean Martin, he is so smooth and steals every scene he is in. Particular favorite is the scene when Peter Lawford calls his mother for money. Also the suits are amazing. One of these days I am going to have Deans grey suit he wears in his first scenes and Cesar Romeros double breasted suit in his first scenes recreated. Besides that movie is fun not making any great statements or anything and the ending is one of the all time greats.:cool2:

Yeah!!! I love the ending! After all this work and tricks they end up with nothing. Poor guys. :)

WH1

Practically Family
The other movie I always enjoy is Gross Pointe Blank. Some of the best dialogue intelligent and satirical always makes me laugh out loud, especially the stuff between John Cusack and Alan Arkin.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Top Hat
Chocolat
Ever After
Love Crazy
I Love You Again
Bachelor Mother
Sunrise (It makes me cry more than any other movie, I'm a goner from about 10 minutes onwards, but it's the most wonderful, sweetest happy ending, and that makes me smile. )
Ninotchka

BillTyre

New in Town
Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith goes to Washington. Just that kind of hope that something could actually work out... gets me every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav