Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies you wished you had never watched.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I am contiually amazed how people rave about a $4.50 cup of coffee that tastes like road tar. Branding at its finest.

I don't think the dopes who frequent that dump even buy regular ol' coffee. The people I've seen with the stuff have whipped cream, chocolate shavings, syrup, and extra white sugar just to kill the taste of that bilge. I don't think genuine coffee drinkers even bother with Starbucks.

Edward

Bartender
OFF TOPIC:

I've always thought Gwyneth Paltrow in "Emma" and Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones's Diary did well, along with Jennifer Ehle in Pride and Prejudice and Gillian Anderson in Bleak House.

Now, Dick Van Dyke in anything by Disney, THAT is cringe-worthy!

Zellweger did very well indeed. The films missed much of the satire in the books and sold them rather short by turning them into a more conventional romance, but nonetheless she did very well in bringing Bridget to life and passing a convincing accent.

Starbucks was started by 3 teachers in Seattle in 1971, and was considered the little guys who were trying to make good coffee. They didn't build a Starbucks outside of Seattle until 1988. The first Starbucks outside of the U.S. was built in 1996 in Tokyo, Japan, and didn't enter the U.K. market until 1998.

The ironic part is that Starbucks makes some of the WORST coffee every made by the hand of man! I mean I have no idea what it was like when they started, but today they burn the crap out of the beans and just make the worst crap anyone ever drank!

Doug

Couldn't tell you about their coffee - I don't like coffee, so it all tastes vile to me. Their tea is nothing special. I do find them overpriced, though no more or less so than any of the big chains that dominate the city centre. I prefer an independent cafe where I have the option.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I don't think the dopes who frequent that dump even buy regular ol' coffee. The people I've seen with the stuff have whipped cream, chocolate shavings, syrup, and extra white sugar just to kill the taste of that bilge. I don't think genuine coffee drinkers even bother with Starbucks.

My ex always wanted to stop in there at night when we were out. She always got a double half calf frappe with a stick o' dynamite, or something like that. I just drink black coffee, no sugar. We managed to find a Stabucks with a Dunkin' Donuts next door, so both of us were happy with our coffee.

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
I would say that probably every movie that has been mentioned so far has at least one redeemable quality--whether its cinematography, writing, action sequences, period correctness, a little humor, some intriguing themes and story lines, decent acting by at least one character, etc..

There is one movie that I recently saw (and fell asleep during) that literally had no redeemable quality whatsoever: Valentines Day.

There must be a niche fan base for every film mentioned here so far, but I can honestly say that the hatred of Valentines Day must be unanimous.
The storylines (about a hundred or so) were atrocious, cliche, and predictable. The acting and the writing sucked.
A lazy writer makes coincidence a plot device, and somehow, every one of the multitude of storylines coincidentally intersected (like the abysmal Crash).

You know you have one of the worst movies ever made when the idea behind the project is: lets get as many stars as we can into a movie, create a storyline for every character, and in a rhythmic succession, give about three minutes time to each storyline, and after running the gamut of about 20 storylines, repeat the process until the end of the train wreck.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Jackie Brown... Horribly done, felt insulted after QT did better prior and after!
Sleepers... Very disturbing, can never look at Kevin Bacon again in the same light.
Exorcist, Shining and other similar flicks... Obvious reasons.

Don't understand the hatred for Starbucks. Although I am not often a patron of theirs, obviously I am a minority as there are Starbucks everywhere and they look to be always busy. The beauty of variety is that it provides for all. There is nothing wrong with liking frills and foo-foos with your coffee. Unfortunately, in the world of coffee so many have become snobbish. All it is is coffee, nothing to be elitist about. It would be quite annoying if we were to all enjoy only the same and not embrace variety.

rue

Aw, come on, rue. You were probably no more than 14 when it came out. I was older, and yet still enjoyed it for what it was...which, admittedly, was not much...

Sorry Lee.... I can't help it. You're right, I was just about 15 and all my friends loved it, but I couldn't stand it. That barn scene when he was dancing alone was soooo bad..... lol

Juliet

A-List Customer
American Psycho. I just kept waiting for the credits to roll, really. Unneccessary is the word that comes to mind.

Also, I'm probably in the minority, but I disliked each and every film of Mr. Shyalaman. I understand others view them as masterpieces of suspense, but I was plain bored after 20 minutes.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Too many to list:

"Eraserhead" - WTF? I must be trippin'.
"Beaches" - Kill me now....
"The Spirit" - Thank god Will Eisner never lived to see this crap.
"Whore" - I walked out.
The many post "Star Wars" rip-offs. Most of which were so bad I wiped my memory.
"Batman and Robin" - Oh my gawd!
"Red Sonja" - Brigit Nielsen what more need be said?

Worf

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Thin Red Line is aggravating because if they had cut out all the boring philosophical crap and only included the awesome, hectic, beautifully filmed battle scenes, it would be a decent war movie. The rest is just drivel! Why oh why did they do this?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24