Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to LA: yay or nay?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Gee, that's different from LA in the 80s, where PJ O'Rourke wrote that no one above the rank of pool cleaner wore a suit!

Dressing up in LA depends on what area. I was in Best Buy in Torrance the other day, and I was wearing what I had worn to work that day, glen plaid slacks and a camel sweater, and I noticed that I was the best dressed in the store. Mostly everyone was wearing sweats or or jeans and sweatshirts. Then one guy walked in wearing a polo shirt and khakis and was the second best dressed in the store. I felt like I was in a twilight zone, either everyone there changed clothes immediately after work, or they all went to work in sweats.

Anyway, LA is mostly pretty casual, but there are exceptions. I was talking to a girl into vintage who had just moved to Silverlake who felt that it was necessary to dress up to go to the market there. She didn't want to get caught wearing sweats by the "in" crowd.

As to where and whether you should move, you've already been asked about job possibilities, but what about your social network?

Do you already have friends in either city? Or are you planning to find new ones? There are folks into vintage in both cities, but you still have to look for them

It may be that you just need a change of scene, but if all you do is work and stay in your appartment you can be bored anywhere.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
another 2 cents worth...

While I have never been to LA or SF, actually I've never been to California, I too, have fibromyalgia and I live right smack dab in the Midwest and we're expecting a blizzard tonight! With fibro, you can adapt almost anywhere. Personally, I think I would feel much better in a warmer climate, but hubby's job is here. :( I've found that barometric changes and dampness will bring on a flare quicker than cold. But when our temps were in the single digits (and below) last week, I was in instant pain the minute I stepped outside. (muscle tightness due to the cold air, I think) Now I just take some meds about 20 minutes before I go outdoors and its much more tolerable. You'll have to decide for yourself how much you can tolerate the climate in either place. And of course, consult your doctor.

I'm part of an online fibromyalgia support group and we took a poll once to see where everyone was located. The only state that didn't have anyone with fibro in it was Arizona. So maybe the dry heat is best for fibro.

Anyway, as others have said, go with your gut feeling and I'd think if you've got a few friends in LA, you'll still make some new ones. Look how quickly you've become acquainted with us here on the Lounge.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Wow, Bonnie Jean, that's really interesting. I really do need to move to a warm climate during the summer here I have absolutely no problem and no pain, but once it starts getting cold, forget it, I am achey with fibro fog everyday and it has started to take a toll on my work and social life. I was thinking about Florida and LA, but would rather go with LA since its closer to home :)

i don't really mind that LA is casual, SF is pretty casual too, I dress up in vintage, and I like to stand out, if everyone was dressed up, it might suck the fun out of being different. The only thing I am worrying about moving down there is the traffic:( and those "OC" type girls and " Real housewives from OC" or whatever they are called, with their bleach blonde hair, botox, fake bosoms and skimpy clothing, yuck! Is this very prevelant down there, or can it be avoided?

Etienne

A-List Customer
I grew up in L.A. and still live in the greater L.A. area. In MHO, I think the city is a cross-section of just about everyone and everything! Casual? Yes, for the most part. Dressy-casual in the more upscale areas. Expensive? Yes. Our son just found a studio apt. for $875 and it's a pretty good price for the general area around Los Feliz, I understand. There's something going on everywhere, all the time. Lots of places to eat, shop, go to movies--bookstores, bistros, wine tasting, theatre. Traffic? Abysmal a lot of the time. The 101 freeway, the 405 freeway--grrrrrrrr! Recreation? You name it, it's done here. Weather? Remarkably good almost all the time. Glendale, Pasadena, San Marino--all great places, $$-$$$$ Burbank, more reasonably priced. Venice, MarVista, Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey--closer to the beach and tend to be pricey, but there are exceptions. Culver City (county, not city of L.A.) has a vintage feel--it's where a lot of the old movie studios are. Hollywood? Way too congested for my taste and way too over the top in a lot of ways for me, but I am old! Century City, West L.A., Santa Monica--nice, can be quite upscale. Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Beverly Hills--$$$$$. Vintage? I would say that in L.A. anything goes. You wouldn't look out of place at all.

Hope some of this helps!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had a love-hate relationship with Los Angeles for three decades running. I moved there from back east 1976 to go to photography school. I lived there for three years only before I was completely fed up with it. Yet, I've moved back twice to try again; each time moving back to Phoenix where I feel a certain level of spiritual and psychic comfort.

John Lennon once described L.A. as "a place where you stop off for a hamburger" and it really has been true for me. I fly in, spend a day or two, eat at Bob's Big Boy or some such place, see something like King Tut or some such exhibit then blow out of town as quick as I came. I always feel grimey for a day or too after that.

It's a weird experience, L.A. I don't know if I would ever take up permanent residence there again. Between fires, riots and earthquakes it has a kind of Sodom & Gomorrah aspect that is both compelling and repulsive.

Phoenix is like a distant suburb of L.A. I feel just far enough away to be safe, yet close enough to drop in if the feeling strikes me. I can observe the insanity and chaos that is inherently L.A, from a much calmer vantage point. And besides, when L.A. finally does tumble into the sea, I should have a perfect view of those beautiful pacific sunsets.

-dixon cannon

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I am looking for something central, but not HUGELY congested, sort of suburby while still and still hip and so I can avoid getting on 101 as much possible! Does Burbank have vintage buildings? I have heard there are some great art deco buildings down there.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Burbank isn't horrible, it just isn't the most attractive community. There are some cute older buildings, houses, churches and the like, but then there's this:

http://www.marilyncarolyn.com/burbanked.htm

Personally I see the entire valley as a tacky mid-Century wasteland with occasional oases of desirability. Or maybe that's just cause I grew up around here, and always like other areas better. Still the neighborhood is better than where I live now.

I've always wanted to live in the Mid-Wilshire area, which is affordable, about $800 for a Deco single appt but with terrible parking. I used to live in Long Beach which is very Deco and cheaper. Both neighborhoods are kinda iffy, especially after living somewhere nice. It takes getting used to.

I'd visit the area you want to move to beforehands, especially at night.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Tourbillion said:
I'd visit the area you want to move to beforehands, especially at night.

I second this....

I guess I have just sort of come to the opinion that wherever you actually -live- always seems less fun and desirable then places that you see through vacationing or visiting eyes....

The second you have to work your behind off in order to make rent, and so forth.....the most glam city, becomes boring and tedious etc....

picking places because they are cute or vintage...when you have to spend every penny to afford them and thus never go out....well its what I am doing now..and its over-rated.

Then again, maybe thats not an issue here.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
If you travel about two hours south of L.A., you will find San Diego. I lived there for 23 years and would still be living there now, but returned to Iowa to be with my 87-year-old mother.

While a bit conservative and not a bastion of vintage chic, it does have the best weather in the world -- I went there in 1983 after having lived in the midwest and also NYC. I had asthma and allergies. Had none of that in San Diego as long as I stayed away from cats. No mold, no chemicals to make me sick. It is cooler than L.A. and does not have yellow mustard gas hanging in the air like you find many days in L.A.

And -- it is not so far away from L.A. that you couldn't get up there for any vintage get-togethers or parties you wanted to attend or shopping you wanted to do.

karol

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Some recommendations:

Eagle Rock is an affordable area Northeast of LA, by Glendale, but full of hip and young anyway.

Silver Lake is a more Hollywood-centric location, but still a little of the edge enough not to be caught up. Near downtown.

West Hollywood is a good apartment land for single peoples, but you'll be in heavy traffic of all kinds day and night. You'll be in the middle of LA nightlife, though.

Culver City, where I live, is more low key than most LA sublands, but still city, by the studios and full of some interesting eccentric sideshows.

Venice, where I'm from, is famously the first place people who move to LA decide to live. Amazing weather, beach proximity and a surprising laid backness for being part of Los Angeles.

I love where I live, but I'll probably be looking more Silver Laky/Hollywoody next time around.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Glendora?

NicolettaRose said:
I am looking for something central, but not HUGELY congested, sort of suburby while still and still hip and so I can avoid getting on 101 as much possible! Does Burbank have vintage buildings? I have heard there are some great art deco buildings down there.

I have no patience for crowded freeways, so I go looking for my favorite boulevards when the traffic slows to a crawl. One day when I-10 got on my nerves, I hopped over to Foothill Blvd., (old Route 66,) knowing it would take me where I wanted to go.

While passing through Glendora, if I recall correctly, it occurred to me that this looked like a pleasant place to live. It still has much of the charm of Route 66. The houses and shops look old, but clean and well-maintained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendora,_California
http://www.ci.glendora.ca.us/

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I actually just found out that an area of Los Angeles as actually named for one of my ancestors Vincente Feliz who owned a Rancho in this area in the early 1800's. My family has been in California for about nine generations, they orginally came from Spain, came to Mexico in the 1500's, and then up to California in the 1700's. The area is called Los Feliz now, anyone know about this area?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Los Feliz is pretty nice, it is where the Derby is located. It is a hilly area with some nice homes and the usual grungy apartments.

A pretty good neighborhood, can be expensive, slightly trendy, (known for a small wealthy gay community).

If you can afford the area you'd probably be happy there since it is fairly close to Hollywood & Pasadena and not too damp since it is far from the beach areas.

There is still the slight chance of bleach blonds running around, but you don't get so much tourist riffraff there.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
NicolettaRose said:
I actually just found out that an area of Los Angeles as actually named for one of my ancestors Vincente Feliz who owned a Rancho in this area in the early 1800's. My family has been in California for about nine generations, they orginally came from Spain, came to Mexico in the 1500's, and then up to California in the 1700's. The area is called Los Feliz now, anyone know about this area?

Sure. East Hollywood. At the base of Griffith Park. Lots of pricey bars and late night coffee shops, cute one theater movie halls and fancy restaurants of the one little room variety. I tend to go there at night when I'm bored, eat at the House of Pies or something. The corner of Vermont and Franklin was in the movie Double Indemnity.

Parking sucks and the place is usually too rich for my very, very poor blood, but a cool spot nonetheless.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I have a friend moving to Palm Springs from LA, and I have seen on Craigslist you can get a lot more for your money in Palm Springs rentwise, how far is the commute to LA?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Palm Springs is pretty far. I went there for New Years with my family once and tried to convince my boyfriend in LA to visit, but it was approximately 2-2 1/2 hours, not counting traffic, if I recall correctly. He ended up not coming because of the distance!

It wouldn't be that horrible though if you only wanted to visit LA once a month or so, instead of living there. I've only visited Palm Springs once for a few days, so I don't really have an opinion on it.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
NicolettaRose said:
I live in San Rafael!! :) Right near the downtown, in the Dominican Area. I really like San Rafael, but there is not much to do. I grew up out a little past Fairfax in West Marin, out by the San Geronimo Golf Coarse. Nice area. What about you, where did you grow up? I really do like Marin, but it just seems like a better place if you are 40 and married with 2.5 kids and a big Lexus SUV.

Like many San Franciscans I'm lost and confused as soon as I pass the city limits, but I do go through San Rafael nearly every weekend. I know absolutely nothing about that area except that I do anti-death penalty work and that's where San Quentin is. I take the long, boring 2-hour bus ride out there and have never seen anything interesting along the way.

From my very limited experience with the area it seems like a boring place to be and I can understand why you want to leave. And it seems like you're pretty much set on going to SoCal, so I wish you good luck and happiness down there!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
It's a scientific fact. For every year a person lives in Hollywood, they lose two points of their IQ. - Truman Capote

I know that doesn't help much, but, quite frankly, I have been in this wretched refuse of a burgh for way too long and am doing everything I can to get out of here in the next year or so. When asked if I like Los Angeles my pat response is "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here!" That is truly how I feel about it. There are pockets, rare ones, that offer some sense of neighborhood and community, but they are buffeted by far greater stretches of mini-malls, nail salons and uncalculable amounts of Starbucks. I don't like it here. It is the pernicious peak of conspicuous consumption; all flash, no substance. The entertainment industry is built on illusion and that illusion pervades the entire swath of land from Santa Barbara to San Diego, even for those whose closest contact to the movies is their weekly excursion to the multiplex. If there were a slogan on the license plates, ala "Live Free Or Die", I would suggest "The All About Me State". No humility. No character. History is to be plowed under.

Now, aske me how I REALLY feel...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy