Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.Rover is on the Today Show!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I would certainly say that Ray was my favorite, because I love vintage.

As far as winning the contest, I guess it depends on how you define best dressed.

I prefer a traditional vintage look, and am a bit of a purist. But I also do have great respect for men that can create a modern look that is truly classic, timeless, and stylish.

I found many of the others dissapointing in that regard. I think the winner had some style, but the jeans with sportcoat is so eighties, rehashed recently, and is at this point quite unoriginal, undaring, and boring in my opinion. While not necesserily a terrible look, I think the upper was too formal. I kind of like a more shirt and sportcoat with jeans. the extremes do not work for me.

As for the guy with the sneakers, again, very eighties retro. How hard and daring is it to wear a pair of converse with a suit? yawn.

the old guy looked nice, but i am not sure that is his best suit. Did not seem all that well cut.

I think Ray looked the best, but not necesserily what would qualify to me as an esquire best look because I think esquire should be about a modern living style, while Ray has a great look taht works well, but is pretty much a vinitage style.

I was hoping to see a modern guy with a contemporary wardrobe that combines true style and classic look with a modern flair.

Frankly, I think Andre 2000 would be my ultimate icon ther, but sometimes he gets a little too frivolous and too vintagy for effect rather than true classi cstyle.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
As for the guy with the sneakers, again, very eighties retro. How hard and daring is it to wear a pair of converse with a suit? yawn.

I agree. To me, that look just screams high school dance.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ray got robbed. Plain and simple.

This was a contest about the best dressed men in America. In my opinion, jeans immediately knocks anyone out of a contest on dressing well. It's a tired look, it's in no way "well dressed" and it's casually dressed at best.

But take a look at Nick Sullivan, the fashion editor from Esquire, who was in charge of the contest. The shirt collar doesn't fit or he's left it unbuttoned, the tie's loosely tied, and he's not shaved for a few days. And this is the one who decides what's stylish, what's in fashion, as far as Esquire is concerned?

Oh, just a minute - 1980's calling - they want the stubble look back...

The first one out, who'd recently lost 130 lbs. (And bravo on that accomplishment!) Does it look like that jacket's too small to anyone else? He's got one button butoned and the coat's too tight to button the second one. It's a bland outfit at best.

Next up - sneakers with a SUIT? :eusa_doh: It's a completely stupid look. No laces? Is this a sign that he's unable to tie them, or that they were taken away in a recent jail stay for fear he'd hang himself?

What next? Flannel pajama tops with tuxedo trousers?

Smuterella

One Too Many
Feraud said:
And Andre does black tie like nobody's business.
andre-benjamin-WI-0908-lg.jpg

swoon

pgoat

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
I liked Ray's flash of his braces ;)

The guy won because his look was the most marketable. Urban, tailored, with a bit of uptown thrown in.

LD
I agree...more practical, and maybe most guys would feel more comfortable shooting for that style?

Ray's look was maybe too 'retro period' for some...pity, no question he was the sharpest and most put together....oh well...

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
The irony is that I was wearing only 1 piece of vintage for the Today Show segment- my newsboy cap! Everything else was available off the rack!
The look for the group shot, however, was like 85% vintage (shirt, shoes, hat were new)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Well, it was a heavy flannel, so it draped well. The lapels and cut of the pants give it away- they're slim-cut pants with a relatively lower rise. The lapels are narrower than most 30s lapels, but the shoulders have that rounded early 30s look that I like- I believe mike has a few suits that he's posted lately with that type of shoulder.
As much as I like the Oxford bags/30s full cut pants look, I'm leaning towards the slim look of the 60s tapered silhouette right now. Does that make me any less of a vintage enthusiast? no- but I guess I'm not as much of a purist as I was 2 years ago or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24