Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mrchapel's Sterlingwear question

Peacoat

Bartender
I received the below message in the "Guest" section of my private messages. Looks to be a new addition to the new board. For the life of me I could find no way to answer him privately, so I will start a new topic to give him the answer.

"mrchapel - 10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi there. Tried to send a PM, but guess I don't have permissions for PM's. Anyway, I understand Sterlingwear is the current maker of the USN issue peacosts, but do you know when Sterlingwear started making peacoats for the USN?"

Answer: Prior to the company being named Sterlingwear, it was called Viking Military, or Vi Mil. I think that may have been the military branch of Viking Clothing, which was started in the mid 60s. The earliest Vi Mil peacoat I have is about 1968, if my memory serves me correctly.

If anyone else on the board has additional information, or contradictory information, please let us know.

Peacoat

Bartender
The earliest Vi Mil tag I could find was a 1974 version. The 1968 model I thought was a Vi Mil is actually a Pembroke. Here is the 1974 Vi Mil, Inc. tag:

silverbuttoncoat1974.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff