Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My 1937 house - and why they want it down

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It worked out

Sorry for not updating in a while...I'm visiting Ames now. The City Council killed the entire street improvement plan late last month, after massive outcry against it from the public. The councilmember who wrote us that he didn't see support for the plan changed his vote from Yes to No. That tied the vote, and a tie defeats the measure.

The most they plan to do now is look into syncing up the street lights to keep traffic from bunching and speeding. No bulldozers, no carved up yards. For the next few years anyway, it's over.

This weekend we celebrated the 70th anniversary of the groundbreaking of our house with one of the daughters of the man who built it. She hadn't visited since they moved out 64 years ago. She has become kind of family writing back and forth with us sharing info about her dad, who died so soon after they moved in, and it's great to finally meet her.

Next weekend we're hosting a party for the neighborhood group who fought the plan. That will be a big do, 50 people or so. Everybody is glad it didn't take any lawyers or fightin' words.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Just about everything that makes me want to completely turn my back on today's culture can be boiled down to the image of a whiny Type-A guy in a custom-edition Passat fussing and fuming and stamping his kiltie-loafered foot because he's *inconvenienced*. The world would be much better off if the parents of guys like that would have taught them that NO, YOU AREN'T THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE...

Or better yet, had known about and used birth control....

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
FWIH now, the new plan spares all the threatened houses except a little crackerbox duplex right at the corner, half occupied by a 90-year-old man and his paralyzed 80something wife. They've been renting there for 33 years - renting! - and their chances of finding an affordable new place of any kind are about zip.

I thought you said this wasn't Bedford Falls...sure sounds like something Mr. Potter would pull...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Fletch
The City Council killed the entire street improvement plan late last month, after massive outcry against it from the public.

OH YEAH! Now that's REAL COFFEE! Congratulations Fletch, to you and all who opposed the traffic plan from H_ _ l. That's going to be one swell get together.

It's nice to hear that one of the daughters of the original builder of your home has kept in contact. That kind of continuity doesn't happen often.

Carter

epr25

Practically Family
That's fantastic. Good job on making the effort to carry through with this. I wish more people would! I so totally sick of all the tan lands sprouting up everywhere! My town is full of them and more are going up everyday. I just don't understand the thinking behind wanting to live somewhere like that. No offense to anyone that does it's just my opinion.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful news Fletch! :eusa_clap
It will be a great celebration I'm sure. Keep us posted on further news of your home becoming a historical landmark!
Nikki

TM

A-List Customer
Great going, Fletch! Just don't let this success stop or slow you down on getting your house listed as historic.

And even though you won, you still have to be vigilent. Remember that Developers, like rust, never sleep.

Tony

You won?! Amazing. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Wouldn't happen around here. :eusa_doh:
Just make sure they don't do like they would here---bring it back after a year or so under a new guise because they figure you are all protested out and tired of fighting. :rage: Vigilance is the word.

ShortClara

One Too Many
WOW

I just read the whole saga! CONGRATS on winning and kudos to you for fighting the good fight!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I think the adage "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" applies here. Nobody is going to sit back and let the city put one over on us again. Besides, I don't want to wake up one night to find the ghost of Frank Carter sitting at the foot of my bed shaking his head sorrowfully as if to say, "What happened?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic