Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My '40s Zenith radio working

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Recently one night on America's East Coast it picked up WGN in Chicago, a super-powerful AM station most of the country can pick up at night.

[video=youtube;_kXY5iSKqVk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kXY5iSKqVk[/video]

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
What model Zenith have you?

On a good, cold winter night, a properly "perking" Zenith console of 1940's vintage connected to a good aerial should be able to pick up KFI, the Don Lee station in Los Angeles.

Now, WGN on an Aeiola Junior or a Radiola I would be a remarkable (though not unheard of) achievement.

The good consoles and better table sets of the 1930's and 1940's are much better radio receivers than are the AM sections of most modern tuners, even in some of the most expensive modern sets, for while there was cosiderale interest in DX (distance) reception among radio buyers in the Golden. Era, modern AM tuners are included almost as afterthoughts, and so they tend to be very poorly engineered.

A quality vintage set also generally sounds better than a modern AM tuner, for fidelity was prized seventy years ago, as FM was not commercially important, and so there was actual MUSIC on the Broadcast Band, and not just the incessant bloviation of our modern versions of the Vicar of the Little Flower.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I haven't flogged the good old SSTran AMT-3000 lately. Time to do it again. Get yourself an SSTran AMT-3000, and you can broadcast your own music to that little radio any time you want. It's a 250 watt AM transmitter, doesn't need an FCC license. You can connect it to a live stream from your PC, or to a CD player, or whatever. Great little gadget.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
What channel is it on? I have not listend to AM radio in so long I would not know stations to tune into. Although I would probably need to make a larg outdoor antenna.

Mike

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
I tried to get that transmitter two years ago but the shop people didn't know what I was talking about. Thanks for the name. I can try to find one online.

The station is at 720 AM.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
There is a pretty good nostalgia station AM 740 out of Toronto. You can pick it up all over the midwest and east at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy