Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero D-1

powersci

One of the Regulars
Last year I bought an Aero B-6. This year, I just had to have [rolls eyes] a D-1. I e-mailed Carrie and Wade at Insurrection and had my order placed pronto. This time I went a size up (from a 38 to 40) and I'm glad I did. The size 40 fits me perfectly. I only had a few opportunities to wear it in March. I got a few compliments on it. My favorite was a guy at a party who said, "Wait, this is like an actual jacket? It's real, not fake! It's so nice!" I've had it for 2-3 months now but never got around to sharing the pictures with you all.

Front of the jacket, unzipped.
m7rMmMsl.jpg

Close up of the collar and tag.
DZgSdfLl.jpg

Back of the jacket.
iG3Zwpnl.jpg

Aero's shearling is by far my favorite.
u4fbwhHl.jpg

Last edited:
Love it! Never saw that one before, really cool and simplistic design that doesn't scream WW2 bomber pilot.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have always been intrigued with the D-1, and that Aero is a great looking example. You can wear that on the Architecture Tour on the Chicago River next February. :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
From bitter experience, if you're taking one of this tours, I would recommend one of Aero's arctic tour shearlings. That aside, I'll be very interested to see some fit pics of the D-1 and it's relative warmth. I saw one at the factory last month and it's got a lot to recommend it, especially the redskin version.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
From bitter experience, if you're taking one of this tours, I would recommend one of Aero's arctic tour shearlings. That aside, I'll be very interested to see some fit pics of the D-1 and it's relative warmth. I saw one at the factory last month and it's got a lot to recommend it, especially the redskin version.

Ah Sloan as I recall you did the Architecture Tour on the Chicago River in early November. You should have done that wearing your A-2. Now February ... :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have a vague recollection that D-1's were issued to aircraft mechanics whereas the B-6's to air crew, and the D-1 was made from thinner fleece than the B-6. I also think I read that the aircraft mechanics and aircrew frequently swapped their jackets back and forth. I particularly like the simple, understated look of the D-1, especially yours. Magnificent looking jacket!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, chilled to the marrow - while the Irvin meant I was toasty from the waist up, I wore the least weather-appropriate shoes I could find (trainers with wafer-thin soles :eusa_doh:) and lost most of my body heat through my feet.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, chilled to the marrow - while the Irvin meant I was toasty from the waist up, I wore the least weather-appropriate shoes I could find (trainers with wafer-thin soles :eusa_doh:) and lost most of my body heat through my feet.

That happens when Scots with big feet don't wear thermal socks when touring the Chicago River during winter time. lol
BIG FEET.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I have a vague recollection that D-1's were issued to aircraft mechanics whereas the B-6's to air crew, and the D-1 was made from thinner fleece than the B-6. I also think I read that the aircraft mechanics and aircrew frequently swapped their jackets back and forth. I particularly like the simple, understated look of the D-1, especially yours. Magnificent looking jacket!

I think they were the same weight? The B6 was inspired by the fact that some aircrew, particularly pilots, were trading their b3s for d1s. The d1's attraction was simply being much less bulky than a B3 in a cramped cockpit. The b6 is a more sophisticated design in many ways, but the d1's simplicity gives it quite a charm.

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
I agree...I love the simplicity and pureness of this design. Hadn't seen one of these before but a really beautiful jacket! Looking forward to fit pics. Congrats!

I think they were the same weight? The B6 was inspired by the fact that some aircrew, particularly pilots, were trading their b3s for d1s. The d1's attraction was simply being much less bulky than a B3 in a cramped cockpit. The b6 is a more sophisticated design in many ways, but the d1's simplicity gives it quite a charm.

Exactly right Edward.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely piece of smutter that...well done sir :)

Purchased one myself last year...very practical over here Autumn & Fall.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 942

mr_lits

A-List Customer
I love the simplicity of the D1 but it often fits like a bag. The B6 has more of a cut to it and is more form fitting. Though both are great looking sheepskins. D1 for a casual, less pretentious look and the B6 for classy high brow style.

powersci

One of the Regulars
Here's the fit pic. All I have is my bathroom mirror so it's the best I can do. And ignore my dorky grin.

b7HUiGzl.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Very nice. I'm a fan of both B6 and D1 myself. The D1's zipped pockets are great, imo, especially considering the lack of inside pockets in either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana