Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero Highwayman after 6 months wear

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Hello loungers, I really did try my best to break this one in. Wearing it every opportunity I got, rolling the hide. Stretching the jacket, and wearing it in the rain. It's now 80 degrees when I snapped these pictures. I'm sure the jacket will not be seen again for sometime. Northern California's cold seasons are much shorter than the warm season.
Some thoughts and observations: the oil pull hoarse hide appears to be thicker and more willing to hold shape than some of the other mid weight sample I received from aero. The hide color being darker than standard brown, in my opinion is just perfect in color. From others descriptions I think it will take much longer to break in than standard FQHH. It has softened up some since it showed up, though not as much as I thought it would by now, according to others descriptions.
I wish I had taken more notice to threads concerning arm hole size and placement. If I had I would have narrowed the arm hole at the body considerably. I am not a thick bodied man, having plenty of room in the jacket, this alteration would have made for I think a better looking jacket on me. Perhaps i am spitting in the wind and a slimmer fitting style would be better on my frame. Also I think this would have eliminated some of the minor annoyances I have while wearing the jacket. Chief among them being jacket rise in the body when I raise my arms. There is more than enough room in the body in this size 36. I think I could wear and should have ordered a size 34. My chest measures 37". Again, perhaps a slim half belt would have been better suited for me. I really do like the utility look of the highwayman's though.
I am glad I went with the added length in the sleeves and body. If ordering it again I would have gone with a warmer lining than the cotton. Perhaps a tartan next time.
Here are the pics:

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Last edited:

Seawolf

Familiar Face
That color IS truly fantastic. You're making me second guess my decision to go with brown FQHH. I did ask for the darkest hide they have in brown, so hopefully I get a good one!

Great looking jacket. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Seawolf

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I agree with the others: I think the jacket fit is great...

The Highwayman as I understand it is based on 1950s jacket. The size of the armhole is period correct (I used to have an original 1950s jacket & I can tell you the armhole size is similar to that of Aero's 1950s model jackets). As the hide softens & becomes more broken in, the jacket will lift less & less as you raise your arms.

I only have one FQHH jacket, and I think it's just too heavy & to stiff for my liking. I prefer the MW HH. Unfortunately, the colour options in MW HH are not that many...

Like you, I have to put my relatively new Halfbelt Deluxe to rest for now...

B.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice Highwayman and the fit looks fine to me. The low armholes can be an issue for some people and yet others don't seem mind. I think a 30's halfbelt would also suit your frame, but I would never sell the Highwayman - it's such a classic Aero and the bit of extra room will be useful on colder days should you want to wear a sweater under it. Great outdoor pics, thanks for posting.

Lear

One of the Regulars
I think it looks great. You wear it well. One year down the road from now, you'll wonder how you ever doubted the fit. Terrific :eusa_clap

Tadite

Familiar Face
That's a great jacket! The fits spot on and I think it still needs breaking in!

Love the oil pull leather. I went with the seal jerky MM horsehide on a recent order but for the inevitable next jacket I'm seriously going to think about that one. Mid-weights just so much more usable even though the normal FQHH browns an amazing color.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all of the kind words loungers. I probably should have added a caveat. I really do like the jacket. The craftsmanship is top notch and customer service (amanda) at aero is first rate as well. I guess I kind of assumed those credentials were well known. The points I wanted to hit on were of some of the lesser discussed details. I hoped to maybe add a little insight to those who maybe were in a similar situation like myself, spending good money on an article of clothing sight un-seen (well kind of).
Seawolf - please share pictures of your new aero when it arrives. I love seeing all of the unique styles and ideas that fellow loungers come up with.
HD - Believe me when I say I am constantly trying to figure a way to justify another aero purchase with the Mrs. That Stuart is nice ad I know I would look good in it, black this time?
Blethook - I really love the way your HB delux turned out, especially the accented stitching, that was a stroke of genius I hope you take credit for. re arm hole size, I am one who prefers to tweak period correct pieces to fit my own personal tastes. I think in the future I will definitely take into consideration more details like arm hole sizing and disregard wether accurate or not.
Sir jacket - the body and sleeves were both lengthend 1".
Cooperson - i do love it but agree I think I should have considered, at least, a 30's half belt.
Lear - it is quite roomy, I hope it takes much mote than a year to grow into it!
Tadite - it needs much much more breaking in. Amongst the samples I received from aero I am supprised as to how easily some of the other hides softened compared to the oil pull hide. The color and mottling of the oil pull is georgous though. Pictures do not do it justice.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
oldcrow82;

It's just a kick ass jacket and you wear it well. Another year from now and you might rather give up your first born than your jacket! HeHeHe. (oh man, hide that one from the Mrs!)

But I do agree with HD, that Stuart would look mighty good on you.

Sir Jacket has one and he appears to be of similar build to you. It's absolutely stunning. Maybe do a "search" and you'll see it.

Great hat also!

Regards, coffee

Let me say this, (OC82) I have been researching my future Aero for about 8 months now. Still not 100% ready to pull the trigger. Not that I doubt Aero, but my jacket is going to run me ~$1100 US. That's a shi*load of cash. There is no way someone can explain away not caring about jumping into a commitment like this, and yes, I expect absolute perfection for that wait, effort, and money. So you are 100% justified in everything you've posted - which I've been following, and appreciate. It helps others, and kudos for posting not just a glaring "I love this Aero" but an honest critique for us all to learn from.
It looks great, and I think you can rest assured you spent your money well. AS for your wife, I can't give any advice there. After 20 years of marriage, I've just learned to squeak by myself, and allow her her passions to give me mine :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy