Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero Long Half Belt...

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
After a six month wait I was finally contacted by Mark Moye concerning my LHB. It was ready to be shipped and although it would cost him extra, Mark shipped the jacket via UPS so it would get here today (Friday 7/3) rather than ship it parcel post and have it arrive sometime next week. Classy guy.

The jacket is expertly constructed. Stitching is near flawless and the lining has none of the flaws (bunching, etc) I've read about in other posts. The color is by far the nicest color leather I've owned.. it's got the depth and character I like rather than just a flat, uniform color. It looks as if different parts of the leather absorbed the color differently, making for one beautiful jacket.

I'e got a lot of pictures so let me get started...

The LHB is made from Vintage Cordovan FQHH. The weight is not too cumbersome and the leather is pliable enough that it won't be a pain to break in. If I ever ordered another Aero I'd probably get this same vintage HH..it has a great weight and feel and won't take a year to break in. One thing I noticed when I opened the box is that it didn't ooze that new leather smell. Instead the jacket has almost a chemical smell. I don't know if it's the dye used or the "1920s dying process" that the label speaks of, but it certainly doesn't smell like my other leathers. Is this necessarily a bad thing? I don't think so.. just thought I'd point it out.

DSC02237.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

I decided to go with the Black Watch tartan wool. This will be a winter jacket and I was informed that this wool was just as warm as the alpaca lining that I was also considering. The lining is comfortable and although thinner than I expected I think it will do just fine during the winter months. The only real option I ordered was an inside pocket (thinking back I should have gotten two, but oh well). I kept the storm cuffs because this jacket will definitely see some cold New Jersey and Upstate NY winters.

DSC02219.jpg

DSC02223.jpg

I'm used to large, size 10 or 11 luggage weight zippers on my motorcycle leathers (even my Wested Indy came with a size 8) so I was a bit concerned when I saw this one. Believe it or not I was actually relieved when I saw the YKK on the back because at least I know it'll probably work better than a repro talon! I kept my hand in the pic so you can see how tiny the zip is.

DSC02225.jpg

Some more shots of the beautiful leather. I have to say that this is a much nicer horsehide than my LW and Schott put together. It feels like leather, not plastic. It's not grainy like my LW but that will come with time and wear. The hide used is flawless too.. my LW has numerous scars (they look like barbed wire punctures) and this Aero hide is perfect. Very nice.

DSC02221.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

Here's a final shot of the jacket in indoor lighting. It's a beautiful rich, dark cordovan.

DSC02213.jpg

I'll try to snap some pics of the jacket being worn. That is the area in which my only disappointment with this jacket is concerned (which is really quite an important area). But I'll get into that later... Enjoy the pics!

Tommer

Fiver64

Practically Family
envy abounds

Wow...great jacket and thanks for the pics! The LHB is on the top of my "must have next" list. Where does the lower edge come to rest in relation to your hips? I'm looking for something in between the 3/4 length and the standard highwayman short jacket. What are your thoughts about the storm cuffs? OK or annoying?? I love the color!!!!

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Great jacket! I'm debating between the Bootlegger and the (regular) Half Belt for my first Aero Jacket. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Vintage HH looks worn out of the box. What are other users thoughts re: Vintage vs. Heavy HH?

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
As for the fit...

As I've read about numerous times before, Aero has problems with their large arm holes. This jacket is no different than those I've read about. My LW Suburban has this same problem, but the Aero isn't quite as bad. Here's a pic to see what I mean...

The jacket really rides up when you begin to lift your arms. This has been a problem on most of my other jackets. Funny that before I got into high end leathers, I never had fitment issues with the "mall" jackets I used to buy. Now that I shell out a lot more cash for these jackets its funny how they just never seem to fit right. There is also some resistance when reaching forward, but it's not as much of a problem as it is on my LW (which I almost never wear because of it). The LHB is tolerable at best when reaching forward or up, and I can only hope that with time and break in it'll get a little better.

DSC02234.jpg

Here are two more pictures of the jacket being worn. Forgive me as they are taken from quite far away and the sunlight cast major shadows on half the jacket. Other than the problem with the arm holes, the jacket is a pretty good fit. I gave Mark my measurements and told him I wanted to be able wear a heavy sweater under the jacket. He recommended a size 48 and to be honest I think anything other than a heavy long sleeve shirt will make the jacket too tight. I don't like a snug fit nor a baggy fit.. with a standard thickness t-shirt or long sleeve shirt the jacket is just the right size.

The shoulders are a bit boxy but I'm figuring that with wear they'll relax a little. As for the sleeves, they are about an inch longer than I'd like, but after they crease some they should be perfect. The length of the jacket is perfect.. most of my jackets come just below the belt so one of the things that attracted me to the LHB was the slightly longer length. It comes a few inches below the belt.. just the right amount for a winter jacket.

DSC02231.jpg

DSC02235.jpg

Am I disappointed with the slight discomfort when reaching forward and/or up? Yes of course.. though is it bad enough to warrant a return? Nah I don't think so. It's not nearly as bad as my LW (which I should have returned). And for a jacket in the ballpark of $600 you get very high quality and a very well put together jacket.. all for less than a lot of the competition. I think this jacket will be quite a daily wearer once the cold weather comes back into town.

Tommer

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Hey Fiver...

I don't find the storm cuffs annoying. I normally wear a Carhartt for very cold weather that also has them. I wanted this jacket for winter so the storm cuffs seemed only natural. If I was getting another Aero for motorcycle riding or fall/spring wear, I'd probably do without the cuffs because they do seem to be warm.

And as for the length I find it to be perfect. Check out the previous pics to see where it sits. I love it.

Tommer

I think that it looks good Tommer!
I do think that you will find as the HH relaxes and molds to the body somewhat,it will feel alot better. I,too,like the storm cuffs. I also like the squared off shoulders. To me they offer a more stylish tailored look to Aeros jackets. Let us know how it shapes up in a few weeks.
HD

JoeNiblick said:
Great jacket! I'm debating between the Bootlegger and the (regular) Half Belt for my first Aero Jacket. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Vintage HH looks worn out of the box. What are other users thoughts re: Vintage vs. Heavy HH?

Hi Joe
I have both. There are pics here on another Aero thread.
Personally I prefer the regular FQHH...only because of how it looks after breaking it in. Both hides are quite nice,however.
HD

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hello, Toomer: That is a terriffic jacket.

You look great in it :eusa_clap . To my eye it looks like a very good fit, though I can see how a heavy sweater would be too snug. I have the same 'problem' with my Herc. HD is right about the loosening with wear--the Herc was very stiff for quite a while, and then one day it just went loose and felt great.

I'm taking some good-natured ribbing at the moment about my 'storm cuff solution', but, if I lived someplace with a real winter, I'd probably share your liking of them.

I hope the long wait has been worth it, toomer. That is one fine jacket. Thank you for the review and the pics. Some more of both in several months when there is some wear on it would be good, as well, please.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Toomer,

You and I are in the same boat. I told Amanda that I wanted to be able to wear a mid-weight sweater under my LHB but there is no way that's going to happen. I can't tell is mine is too small, all around.

Sorry about the crappy picture. No one was here to take the photo.

Picture014-1.jpg

Wow..!...I think that looks good,Doublegun...However,only you know if it feels too restrictive. It should feel a little stiff right now...but it will relax,soften and loosen up somewhat after some wear. The HBs are meant to be kinda form fitting around the waist...but not overly tight by any means. Hard to tell from your photo...but doesn't appear too small to me.
HD
(need more opinions!)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Yes, the shoulders will relax and will soon feel right.

I found the same thing with the armholes on my FQHH Highwayman — it's the only feature preventing it from being the perfect leather jacket. It's slightly less noticeable after a couple of months' wear, but it's always going to be there.

There doesn't seem to be quite the same amount of 'pull', if that's the right word, in respect of movement on a friend's mid-80s Highwayman, which seems to be less restrictive in the armholes. But he's a smaller build than me, so maybe it's more of an issue stemming from the construction of the larger sizes. I'll drop a few more pounds, pony up and see if a 44" chest one is any different... :)

blethook

One of the Regulars
Fit is normal...

Tommer,

The large armholes are normal for jackets from the 1950s which is what the LHB is supposed to represent.

I've got an original LHB from the 1950s and yes it's got large armholes and yes the jacket still "rides up" when I raise my arms, but of course because the leather is already broken in there is no feel of restriction at all. You'll see it (if you're standing in front of a mirror) but you won't feel it.

The jacket is shown in the link below.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=40411

You've got a great jacket btw, so enjoy it!!!

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments. And for a couple of you, in the words of Arnold... "It's not a TOOMER!" It's Tommer! ;)

Doublegun, your LHB definitely looks like tighter fitting than mine is. With that said though, I think it looks sharp. My wife said the lower half of mine actually looks a bit baggy and makes me look heavier than I am. The upper body on mine is where I'd have trouble with a heavy shirt. I can see why you probably couldn't fit a heavy shirt under yours, but I do have to say it looks good on you. Is yours regular HH in brown?

And Van, you are Mr. Aero as far as I'm concerned.. thanks for the comments! I don't think there's another guy on here with as many nice Aero's as you. I'll post some more shots in a few weeks after I've had time to wear it around the house and scrunch up the leather some.

Tommer

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Oops! Sorry, Tommer. I was so focused on

the new jacket I wasn't paying attention to my 'o's and 'm's.

Doublegun: Your jacket is a stunner, as well. From the one pic, it looks like a trim, good fit. Like HD said, more pics are more helpful. What color is it? Looks a rich brown in your pic. And, what size, please?

For both of you: I, too, wanted to wear a sweater under my Hercules (there are pics posted around here somewhere...) but, the best I can manage is a fleece vest. My thought is that if it were big enough to wear with a sweater, it would look like I was swimming in it without the sweater. I ALMOST went with the LHB instead of the Herc. No regrets, but, now you two have got me thinking...and, that can be dangerous when the word 'Aero' is a recurring thought ;)

bobjones

A-List Customer
Doublegun said:
Toomer,

You and I are in the same boat. I told Amanda that I wanted to be able to wear a mid-weight sweater under my LHB but there is no way that's going to happen. I can't tell is mine is too small, all around.

Sorry about the crappy picture. No one was here to take the photo.

Doublegun: Crappy picture, but if you are looking to closely match the fit of the picture of Will's son on the Aero LTD website, you have nailed it.

Tommer: your jacket doesn't show the hourglass shape and has more of a straight-down flow (which I prefer, but this is purely a matter or taste) - could this be perhaps because you haven't pulled the tabs in the back?

I think one of the possible ways of stopping the bunching effect when lifting one's arms over one's head would be a solution jansolo used on one of his jackets that I'd considered for my Hwyman, and that was to use slimmed down sleeves.

I forgot which post he had it in, but I had discussed it with him separately in PMs IIRC and I think it is an option on most/all Aeros, as they need to do so for the Japanese market for obvious reasons.

I have long skinny arms, and wondered if this option might be a solution to the jacket lifting by reducing the armholes.

Also, on the Hwyman and some other jackets, I've noticed that the sleeve from shoulder to elbow is very big, then slims down quickly from the elbow to the wrist edge, which looked more suitable for a bodybuilder - which I am most definitely not. It might have had to do with its original design as a moto jacket where a person would be sitting with his arms bent forward for long periods of time - or could have to do with it being a "vintage" style, I do not know [huh]

I had thought to use the "slim-sleeve" option for aesthetic reasons alone, so the sleeve shape would be straighter and have a more natural flow, but left it out of my spec sheet for Will, as I didn't want to add to the wait time, or complexity of the jacket. It is still a work in progress just to get my fit down right, so I didn't want to "muddy" the waters further...

JLStorm

Practically Family
when I ordered my jacket from Aero I told Amanda that I wanted to wear a thick sweater under it. She asked for my measurements in a t shirt and with the thickest sweater I would wear on. I gave her both measurements and the jacket turned out fine. I wonder why they dont seem to ask the same from everyone? It certainly is worrisome with the amount of complaints regarding Aero products lately. I hope they havent forgone quality and service in favor of quantity.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
From the pictures it seems both jackets fit very well and they look great. Love my LHB and am sure you will both enjoy yours more and more as they wear in.

I was at fist slightly concerned the arm hole situation when I received mine but now after a lot of wear I don’t notice it. If I were to zip it up and then lift my arms then yes, but I simply don’t need to do that.

Even wearing mine on my Norton is fine.

I also have a Vintage LHB and the cut is very similar.

Just checked out my zip and it has the Aero logo on it, not sure who made it?

Anyway Tommer and Doublegun I hope you enjoy your new Aeros. Just think how good they will look with say 20 years of use.

Cheerio for now

James

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
jamespibworth@n said:
Anyway Tommer and Doublegun I hope you enjoy your new Aeros. Just think how good they will look with say 20 years of use.

Let's just hope I look as good as my Aero does in 20 years! James it was your review of the LHB on the VLJ that pushed me over the edge and made me need one. Yours is a beauty. Now I just need that Norton as my cycle doesn't match the style of the jacket!

Jack, your Herc almost made me go with one of them over the LHB. It's a beautiful jacket and I enjoyed reading the story of when you got it.

BobJones.. the side adjusters weren't pulled in when I took the pictures. Last night I cinched them up most of the way and it does give a less "swimmy" fit. Definitely better than it was. The bicep area of the sleeves is also very roomy.. a little too much, but this is common on all of my leather jackets (even the Langlitz).

Tommer

Tommer45 said:
And Van, you are Mr. Aero as far as I'm concerned.. thanks for the comments! I don't think there's another guy on here with as many nice Aero's as you. I'll post some more shots in a few weeks after I've had time to wear it around the house and scrunch up the leather some.

Tommer

Tommer
Fortunately,there are several FL members with very nice Aero jacket and coat collections(surpassing mine). Plus great suggestions and pics of custom alterations that work out very well often adding something special to these classic designs. I had tried several other custom and semi-custom makers...when I stumbled upon Aero. I was immediately impressed with their unique FQHH...and also some of their other selection of hides that were not offered elsewhere. I think they do a very good job in constructing '50s...and '30s style utility jackets....and then willing to alter to the customer's specs...and even mix design features. Where else can you find all that?
Of course,most important is the fit. With all kinds of shapes..and strictly mail order for us in the states..I think Aero has done a remarkable job over the years. Sending measurements..you would think that every jacket should fit precisely...but then there can be differing interpretations of exact measurements on our end. Many of us have come across different measuring techniques on eBay sometimes to our utter amazement. Hey it isn't neccessarily so easy taking measurements..unless you have your measurements from a tailor. Again..I do think Aero does a pretty good job of feeling out the customer and trying to adjust on their end. Some of my friends have expensive "custom made" mail order jackets just hanging in their closet...because a certain company(unmentionable...that most of us know) insisted that they take a larger size...no matter that the customers really felt they knew better. Most of Aero's jacket sizes probably lean in the other direction...on the "trim side" from my experience.
Luckily..I wear a standard size in an Aero...with only some length preferedly added. However...first impressions of a stiff new jacket..on the trim side..can often seam concerning at first...but may actually become an asset after some wear and break-in...rather than the other alternative of a more baggy effect. If not..they will take it back...or replace it. I know of no other mail order company..except perhaps Langlitz...so accomodating.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran