Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero Thunderbay sheep lined review. (pic heavy)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I've had this a couple of weeks now and wanted to get a bit of wear into it. Ordered during the Grand Theft Sale I got the special deal going for the day only.
The jacket is basically a Thunderbay with sheep lining with a few little custom touches based on a sample I supplied for them to work by.
Those whom own one or plan on owning may see a few subtle differences to that on Aero's web pages. I know Worf has one and there are a couple of others including my original Canadian 'Cambridge' made example that this jacket is based on.
On with the show.

The hide is black Vicenza horse, the original may be front quarter but the label only mentions Horsehide.
Main zip is a standard nickel Talon with the puller on the American side rather than the grommet zip Aero use. The original is a Clix and runs on the British side but as this is not a historical replica I thought it would not matter as I am used to right hand pullers.
The natural fleece collar is gorgeous and looks perfect.
Worth every penny for those little extras.
Questions?
DSC_0020_zps1qbngvdv.jpg

DSC_0013_zpssm6vcwuu.jpg

DSC_0014_zps5xuhjqom.jpg

DSC_0011%202_zpsje44jl3x.jpg

The quilting is one of those extras. It is normally corduroy at the hem, not sure about the sleeve lining but I really wanted the quilted arms for warmth and hem as on my original. I chose Vicenza as the weight appeared to be more sympathetic with the quilted sleeves, having worn it rather a lot now I am glad I chose this hide.
DSC_0012%201_zps9qxhp52z.jpg

Here we have the button cuff, a standard feature.
DSC_0011%201_zpsgrhuvh90.jpg

The belt loops and buckle are different to the standard aero product. Personally I prefer this feature to the Aero design and all the metalwork is in dull nickel rather than brass. I tend to wear a stainless watch and this complements it all for me.

DSC_0009%201_zpsddyg2of1.jpg

Slash & breast pocket detail.
Slightly altered from Aero's with stitching detail. Aero's breast pocket is more useful than this but I felt it would detract from the design of the hand warmers.

DSC_0008_zpsxkggqagi.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Good job. I especially like the quilted sleeves. I have the corduroy in my ThunderBay, and my arms don't slide as easily as yours do with the quilt. The dull nickel on the buckle nicely complements the black hide. You did well.

RMF308

One of the Regulars
Looks great, congrats on a beautiful jacket. Can you tell us about the TB's sizing (your chest size compared to the jacket's external P2P measurement)? There have been a number of threads about the Thunderbay but details about sizing are sparse as some say to buy a size larger to accommodate the sheepskin, other say the sheepskin is calculated into the labeled sizing and buy your standard size.

I see that yours is labeled a 44...are you a size 44 in say a Highwayman?
Thanks.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
No proper pics at the moment. It's an outdoor jacket so it has to be outdoor pics or at least something using a prop. No beer in the house and I'm cooking dinner so you will have to make do with a relax v Zombie Strangle. The other pics are selfies but not correctly set up, took too low.
The relax actually comes a bit lower but I quickly snapped this.

DSC_0017_zpssw544ka5.jpg

28 Days later
DSC_0019_zpsdf81quwg.jpg

Maybe more to come but later. Work beckons :(

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I take an Aero 42 normally, Teamster, Highwayman. This is a comfortable 44 with some 1/2 off the sleeve length of the standard to compensate for the extra sizing.
My left arm is around 1/2 difference to my right, I only noticed this at a bespoke tailors having an overcoat altered but also looking in the mirror waring my Aero's.
I would definitely recommend going up a little if contemplating a sheep lining though I only wear a T shirt beneath.

I'm absolutely in love. Perfection. Best part is, I believe, this jacket looks like it could've been made then. It's got this right vibe, doesn't look like a repro or anything like that but just right. I can't really explain but in any case, awesome, fantastic jacket!

wdw

One Too Many
Very nice indeed. I've always been tempted, but it's too late for me to order for this year, so I'll pass again.

I'm curious about the belt holes. Did you specify your waist size so that they could centre the holes on that? I imagine people's waist sizes will vary quite a bit.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Very nice indeed. I've always been tempted, but it's too late for me to order for this year, so I'll pass again.

I'm curious about the belt holes. Did you specify your waist size so that they could centre the holes on that? I imagine people's waist sizes will vary quite a bit.
Don't think I would have wanted one for the spring, but it doesn't get to hot in England so it will get a fair bit of wear over the year.
The belt. No I did not specify anything, it buckles centrally on that 4th hole, then again so does my original though the wider width looks a little better. I don't think Aero had the Standard buckle in silver colour. If done up on another notch the buckle does not centralise. Not a problem for me. I guess a sliding buckle may work better but could affect the look.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
a great warm jacket. Congratulations. A month ago I ordered a shearling lined jacket at Aero but asking for quilted lined sleeves did not cross my mind at all. I hope cord is warm enough.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
That is a Beauty! I've got the Canadian variant pictured here. It is HH, but not thick and pretty worn, but it is a warm, comfortable jacket and looks good on! My favorite Aero style. They really own this one.

hGsue2-u57lXFGKNX04RphTOVxEBZs2v1_v2P42RCWc9N4JyhdsDHAu9TeIlMDsBRJPvr1b3g-h-ZoJ6iPu0HMFU5MBiGOYgo0kIgCELm_1DkDUnaJ356CqO1vz5DGGrnhBpM1ytBfSDCzAuVpOjoKtkC0Svqy-GJccy5ubP24bhNsbfRDaJXBpIKL5QiLCp7kHIDAUNY040v6XsW-j_vxli3o1DSld4FH_zasc0LRVfjyXOjZ-QTNrsTZo9as5yXyzHu0_X1b1y7VoEooxui-AVXuaW3earcyVTn32f7iUzk6B33a4Stkx2d88e-jlsycQuYEO-Hwy-VrMAVb9itEK_cOg1vh62SekGPIRml_C-q9SGV2IBIAIJwjCSELvdWEPUkjfkuMKI6ihYaqYmvt5MoZXywEdLKKvV-OtDmymxiuVpEjh7jcKyeHMVFWNT2vmLw1P1rJtfFIOBIg5ClYgE-CaHNIfF7ZfGS0ZJQGHgA3iilNhf5tw1osdZJlH3M56bjxtzufpoVvQOBX-jUHMQUV6DddGLxqjo3Owdl57DSx62fHrHvk6tp6bv8l_lgI84SUPLKH5avm3MEqAr49MLHnZA7AjPwbOeuGrbe28uHyUC=w982-h652-no
Seen it before, love it :) Yours is pretty much the prototype of Aero's Thunder. This one has snap cuffs, am I correct?
Here is a pic I posted earlier of my original. Have to say I prefer the finish to my pockets but mainly because my highway and Teamster have your version. Nice to has some variations on a theme.
Probably my favourite jacket at the moment.

DSC_0033_zpshao4ap6j.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Very dignified looking Thunderbay - love the shearling/quilted lining combo. I see Aero is still using the quilted material that adorns the interior of my LHB!
Yes it's gorgeous, don't know how long it will last before I get a hole around the waist area though.
I really loved their green satin that was used in the old Longshoreman, though they changed to corduroy for the very reason it was a bit fragile. I was shown this(called 'shot silk' in Great Britain) on a jacket in the showroom. It's an iridescent material often used on waist coat backs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider