Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MY ALLERGIES ARE KILLING ME!!!!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
redcorpse.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
now that's about the worst case I've ever seen!
Jake, I'm right there with you...this time of year sucks for me as well, load up on the antihistamines and sail through this. I was wondering what the deal was myself, since usually it's not that bad this time of year, then I read an article in the newspaper saying the pollen count is the highest it's been in years...not good for people like us! or someone who has asthma..which has been giving me hell as well....good luck! I'm over here sympathizing with you!!!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
About 10 years ago, I found the solution for my spring allergies. Claritin once a day, plus a Flonase inhaler to quiet the nose. It changed my situation from big allergies to NO symptoms at all. The Flonase is a topical steroid that takes 2-3 days to really become effective, but they made an amazing difference!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I know the feeling!

May I offer a few tips:

Stop eating dairy. (This includes milk chocolate.) It will only add to your congestion.
Irrigate your nose once or twice a day. This means flushing your nose with saline solution; I use a Water Pik with nasal attachment and make my own saline solution.
Use acupressure. It really works! There's a book called Acupressure's Potent Points that describes the methods simply.
Don't hang your clothes or linens out to dry when the count of whatever you are allergic to is high. (Sorry, clothesline lovers.)

There's also a book called Sinus Survival that offers a lot more tips (many of them not so relevant) that may interest some of you.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
About 10 years ago, I found the solution for my spring allergies. Claritin once a day, plus a Flonase inhaler to quiet the nose. It changed my situation from big allergies to NO symptoms at all. The Flonase is a topical steroid that takes 2-3 days to really become effective, but they made an amazing difference!
I'm already on Claritin..but Flonase...is that over the counter or do you need to go to the doctor for that one?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Flonase = prescription, and well worth asking about. There are equivalent sprays, but it's one of the good ones...I've used at least one other, but don't recall the name now.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
looks like I need to see the doc then...I've also been told to really push the fluids...especially water...not sure how true that is though

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Re-enacting is OUT

This is why I never camp. When I had to as a kid, I'd wake up every morning with cement head.
This year is really nasty.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Pilgrim said:
Flonase = prescription, and well worth asking about. There are equivalent sprays, but it's one of the good ones...I've used at least one other, but don't recall the name now.

There is Flonase, and then nasonex.....etc...

Flonase smells of flowers...and is terribly expensive even with good perscription drug coverage....unfortunatly its still a name brand...sighs....

But I agree it does work....

I am tempted to have freinds from the UK start sending me Beconase since its over the counter there.....and works the same.....

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
kind of funny flonase smelling of flowers, when it's something most people are allergic too....all this is making me dread even more having to mow my yard!

Trickeration

Practically Family
My daughter and I are suffering terribly this year, too. Besides the pollen wreaking havoc on us, I'm really allergic to mold. So the moist air and on-again-off-again rain have made life miserable at times. My son has been calling me the Sneeze Queen.

Claritin works quite well, but we only take it during allergy "seasons". Otherwise, my daughter and I both take Walmart's Clortabs (the generic for Chlortrimiton, but much cheaper) for sudden or severe attacks. Be careful with that though, it can make you tired. And you should ask the pharmacist if it will interact with anything else you're taking (a good practice for any OTC you plan to take).

Take care and "Gesundheit". Trix

The high pollen count is from the pharmaceutical companies' secret airplanes that are spreading pollen all over the country. More pollen = more sales = more profits. See?

I also have a theory that the energy companies are shooting hydrogen into the sun to make it burn hotter so we turn up our air conditioners.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
For those who use Claritin, there is a much cheaper alternative. At Costco, they sell their own version of Claritin called AllerClear. They both have the same active ingredient (Loratadine 10 mg), but instead of paying $31 for 60 tablets (50 cents/pill), you pay $12 for 300 (4 cents/pill). Here are the links:

AllerClear at Costco
Claritin at Costco

I use this in conjunction with Flonase, and have very few problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21