Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Blue Heaven

It looks...

• fine to me!

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • cheap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

backstagejack

New in Town
It was used in the first three. But the quality and design changed before the second film was made

Yes. The felt that was sourced for Raiders was unobtainable for TOD and LC. Not to mention for TOD... I think they slipped a few Stetsons in there for marketing purposes ( I could be wrong about this but it sounds right). On top of the company changes that have slowly resulted in the decline that's seen today.

either way for Raiders, TOD, LC AND YIJC the HJ Poet was used with modifications. For CS it was AB (adventure built)
Who or what hat was the original "Poet " hat named after and what did it look like? Im not really that interested in "Indy" hats. Info? Thanks.

No idea, according to the website the Poet has been around since the late 1800s but heavily modified for Raiders. But it could also be hearsay on their part to make the hat seem more vintage.... that part is beyond me.

http://www.swaineadeneybrigg.com/store/herbert-johnson/poet-hat/poet-hat

Our classic oldest hat shape was the Herbert Johnson wide brim fur felt hat called 'The Poet' with its tall crown and this was the style chosen. The 'Poet' had been made by Herbert Johnson since the 1890's and has always been deemed ageless. The hat was modified for the character Indiana Jones in a number of ways. and the perfect shade of brown called sable was chosen.

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
save your money and then call @bendingoak
this way you won't have to make threads constantly about turning a hat that is not what you want into something it is not
... not to mention waste money to find out the hat does not respond the way you had hoped
Pay attention to this post...I promise you will be thankful you did

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Which is pretty funny. I get that the felt could be unobtainable... lost source, etc... but the block made in your own shop from supposedly one of your oldest hats?

That block belongs in a museum!!!
My understanding is that the Raiders hat was not one the actual Herbert Johnson "poet" hats but one of their "Australian" models that wardrobe designers had altered for the character .
At least that is what happened according to costume designer for the film Deborah Nadoolman

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Not Longfellow. The famous hat wearing poet Walt Whitman died in 1892. I believe the original hat was manufactured and named in his honor.
images-2.jpg
images-1.jpg
images.jpg

ninman

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I get that HJ's today are bad quality etc. What I meant was, how does the bash they put in that hat look in real life? The reason I ask is because I might put that bash in one of my own hats, but I want to know if I really like it before I attempt it.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
What I meant was, how does the bash they put in that hat look in real life? The reason I ask is because I might put that bash in one of my own hats, but I want to know if I really like it before I attempt it.

If you've got a hat to try it on, go ahead & see for yourself if you like it or not. You give the impression that you think a bash is permanant, well it ain't, you can change bashes & creases as often as you please & if you're unsure how to do it, there are plenty of vids on touyube showing you how.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
It was used in the first three. But the quality and design changed before the second film was made

The 'Poet' was only worn in 'Raiders' ( brown & grey versions) & a different hat was used in each of the following 3 movies, so in reality, there is no such thing as an Indy hat but a ' Raiders' hat or a 'TOD' hat, etc................................oh dear, now I'm starting to sound like an Indy nerd.:eek::D

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I get that HJ's today are bad quality etc. What I meant was, how does the bash they put in that hat look in real life? The reason I ask is because I might put that bash in one of my own hats, but I want to know if I really like it before I attempt it.
From the picture it looks like it only took them a couple of minutes to put that crease in for the camera. It's pretty simple, actually. More like a simple Center Dent with a tight pinch at around 4 1/2 inches high. Can't tell from the picture how high the back is. The original Raiders hat was slightly lower in the back than the front giving it a nice rake. Doesn't look like they went to a lot of trouble putting in that crease. Also, for the movie, different things were done to the crease to give it more of a boxy look for front camera shots...

Diamond Crease makes it more boxy looking for front camera shots...
indy_raider_from_the_top.jpg

Center Dent for side and back camera shots...
Indy_Raider_from_the_back.jpg

Pictures from Indygear
http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
From the picture it looks like it only took them a couple of minutes to put that crease in for the camera. It's pretty simple, actually. More like a simple Center Dent with a tight pinch at around 4 1/2 inches high. Can't tell from the picture how high the back is. The original Raiders hat was slightly lower in the back than the front giving it a nice rake. Doesn't look like they went to a lot of trouble putting in that crease. Also, for the movie, different things were done to the crease to give it more of a boxy look for front camera shots...

Diamond Crease makes it more boxy looking for front camera shots...
indy_raider_from_the_top.jpg

Center Dent for side and back camera shots...
Indy_Raider_from_the_back.jpg

Pictures from Indygear
http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html

they were not fussing with bashes to make the hat look boxy from the front
that shot is just the hat put down and semi crushed ... the felt was extremely soft and would distort with the slightest touch
there are no diamond creases in the movie nor is that a diamond crease in that pic ... it is simply dented from being handled
the boxy look was simply the original block used which mysteriously disappeared after those hats were made... also camera angles didn't hurt

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
they were not fussing with bashes to make the hat look boxy from the front
that shot is just the hat put down and semi crushed ... the felt was extremely soft and would distort with the slightest touch
there are no diamond creases in the movie nor is that a diamond crease in that pic ... it is simply dented from being handled
the boxy look was simply the original block used which mysteriously disappeared after those hats were made
Have to disagree with you buddy. It looks deliberate. :)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
the folks making the movie didn't care about a big boxy crown ... all that hype happened when obsessed fans long after the movie was made became enamored with the hat and freaked out when the second movie came out and the hat was different

they were in no way going out of their way to try to make the hat look boxy ...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
We'll have to agree to disagree buddy. :) Both sides are spread out. Camera angles and shadows can create a lot of different effects...

x_Resistol_3_XXX.jpg

so you think the makers of this movie would spread out the crown of the hat when taking front shots and then put it back to a center crease when shooting the back just to make the crown look boxy ?

you actually think that they would go through that trouble for a boxy appearance from the front of all things to worry about when making a feature film ?
re shaping a hat when the actor turns around as if they cared at all

that is completely and utterly insane to me and it did not happen

the boxyness is due to the block and there are endless examples of this

not to mention how a diamond crease would completely change the shape of the entire hat ... which also is not evident in the movie

but ok

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
if you watch the movie ... there are countless times where Harrison Ford is facing the camera showing this boxy crown ... then turns around to clearly show a center crease

happens over and over throughout the entire movie

did they cut every time he turned around and quickly take out the diamond while Ford stood completely still then rolled tape again

with all due respect of course Terry if you simply watch the movie you will see how impossible your theory would be

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I have to side with moon on this.......the 'Raiders' hat just had a big boxy crown from all angles & didn't need a diamond crease to pad it out for frontal shots & as moon said, there are numerous scenes where we see Indy face on & then turning to show a center crease...............Spielberg wanted an iconic look but I don't think he was that fussed about such details, it was merely the way the hat was, when you look at the subsequent hats, you can see he wasn't hung up about boxy crowns anyway, just any brown fedora would do.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24