Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My boss decided it was time to buy a leather jacket

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Yea, we are a bit sharp sometimes. Sometimes it can be over the top, but it's so easy to go after the average schmuck who thinks he's the cat's-meow because he got an over-priced piece of junk from some big name fashion label. I suppose that is fairly low hanging fruit though.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Even if I wasn't aware of the decent jackets available (or where to go to get one), I still would know what a bad jacket looked like. I think perhaps when people see a huge price on something they expect it to be good maybe.

The lesson is probably to buy a leather jacket from a leather jacket maker/craftsman not a brand.

I can understand schitzo's annoyance at his boss but he needs pity really :)

schitzo

Suspended
wo wo woah Fellas

Don't feel sorry for him!!! Trust me, if you knew the guy you definitely would not.

Bottom line is, if it had a Gucci label on he'd happily wear a turd. And there are a billion others just like him..

Of course he deserves ridicule, and in cases like these it is truly a form of kindness

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
The waist and arm bands on that jacket are truly hideous...

Yes, this is the problem. It looks like a pimp's jacket.

At least my boss doesn't make any pretensions to style-consciousness (although I do occasionally expect to hear a shy inquiry about "where I got those interesting jackets from").

SJ

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
In the interests of full disclosure, I discovered this place after a bad experience with a Hugo Boss jacket. :D

wdw

One Too Many
In my case, I felt that Belstaff just couldn't possibly be the pinnacle of leather toughness, despite the advertising.

I wasted money on two though, although there was a ready market of buyers on eBay when I got rid.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I bought a HB field jacket type thing, not a terrible piece, in grey leather in the sales, knocked down to £350. Got home and discovered there was a red felt tip mark on it from, irony alert, the pen used to mark it down! When I was taking it back to the shop, it started to rain, and I could see the suede was getting mottled and stained! Thing looked terrible by the time I got down to Buchanan Street. Was relieved to get my money back.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I bought a HB field jacket type thing, not a terrible piece, in grey leather in the sales, knocked down to £350. Got home and discovered there was a red felt tip mark on it from, irony alert, the pen used to mark it down! When I was taking it back to the shop, it started to rain, and I could see the suede was getting mottled and stained! Thing looked terrible by the time I got down to Buchanan Street. Was relieved to get my money back.

Grey leather is a tricky one, Sloan, although I'm prepared to believe you brought it off.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You're absolutely right, grey leather can look a bit Sigue Sique Sputnik, but it was very dark and looked vaguely like an old West German military jacket I wore at uni, so pretty low-key. Was shocked at how flimsy the leather was!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wo wo woah Fellas

Don't feel sorry for him!!! Trust me, if you knew the guy you definitely would not.

Bottom line is, if it had a Gucci label on he'd happily wear a turd. And there are a billion others just like him..

Of course he deserves ridicule, and in cases like these it is truly a form of kindness

And there you have it. I used to work with a bloke who always had to have the next big, better and more
expensive item, be it a television, car, or even a swish address! What it all cost him I couldn't imagine, but
what I found really weird was that it wasn't about the aesthetic or style or utility of whatever he bought; it
was just about the price. It was as if expensive = ostentatious = I'm better than you are.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It is not enough to have an expensive object. It must be known to be expensive, preferably without you telling anyone.

That's why status brands command such prices, even when better quality and style can be had for less money. Not everyone you meet will appreciate quality or style, but all will recognize a big-ticket name.

schitzo

Suspended
Not everyone you meet will appreciate quality or style, but all will recognize a big-ticket name.

Yep, and I recognize it for the daylight rape that it is.

In fact, the more I think about this the more I despise this type of stupidity. But I guess the world isn't gonna run outta braindead morons any time soon. A mate of mine refers to them as sheeple - I reckon that is pretty much about the strength of it

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yep, and I recognize it for the daylight rape that it is.

In fact, the more I think about this the more I despise this type of stupidity. But I guess the world isn't gonna run outta braindead morons any time soon. A mate of mine refers to them as sheeple - I reckon that is pretty much about the strength of it

Schitz, tell the boss what you really think of his new jacket, and the truth will set you free. :D lol

schitzo

Suspended
Schitz, tell the boss what you really think of his new jacket, and the truth will set you free. :D lol

I like what you did there Fanch but truthfully, whilst giving him and it an honest appraisal would give me satisfaction I think seeing him wearing it will bring me more

I realise now that Him and this jacket were made for each other!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred