Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Brown Christys' Fedora question

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Here is my trusty brown Fedora model 'Epsom'. What's the best way to clean these hats and should they be kept in a hat box when not in general use?

Fed1.jpg

Fed2.jpg

Here is my trusty brown Fedora model 'Epsom'. What's the best way to clean these hats and should they be kept in a hat box when not in general use?

Depends on how dirty but good brushing covers most except bad stains. Orange sponges & hat spot removers work well then you move up to naptha & such.
Boxes are best for me & I add cedar to keep critters & smells away.

FormerDATT

New in Town
Same method here in Kansas. Winters in an old house are dry and dusty. i save all my old boxes and store my winter hats with a cedar block (no moth ball smell) and store them away. I have two brushes one for dark and one for lighter felt. I have bought a few shoe brushes cheap; not used obviously to also clean them.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice, think tomorrow i'll go into town and see if i can pick up a hat box from somewhere. Its a decent enough hat to look after I think.

EggHead

Practically Family
I have hat hooks in the bedroom closet and in the garage (garage is ground floor of the house). I hang them in either place depending on how wet it is.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

If you keep a dark hat in a box, dust won't collect on it to diminish its lustre, which is what happened to some dark hats I have but never kept in a box.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think I would recommend a hat box, but while not directly related to your question, that's a sharp trilby! I was considering one of those a while back, and maybe I still am. That brown color looks good. Which version of brown is the color titled on the Christy's website, do you remember?

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I think I would recommend a hat box, but while not directly related to your question, that's a sharp trilby! I was considering one of those a while back, and maybe I still am. That brown color looks good. Which version of brown is the color titled on the Christy's website, do you remember?

If you type in Epsom on the Christy search engine I think its just brown mix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran