Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Camp Draft arrived !

RBH

Bartender
The Camp Draft arrived today. It really is a great hat! I ordered the Taupe Fawn color and I love it.
The felt is not butter soft but was soft enough that it was easy to shape the open crown.
I would recomend this Akubra , as it seems to be a well made hat.
here it is out of the box
cd1dl1.jpg

a liner shot
cd2vg7.jpg

after creasing
cd4bn0.jpg

and on my head
cd3vi2.jpg

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
I got a Campdraft recently and am also pleased with it. Had to wait three months, which was quite a test of patience. What did you use to get the bash? Steam? Water? Mine didn't come out looking as smooth, so am wondering what method you used. I misted mine with water, but perhaps was too stingy. You picked a good color; I may go that route next time (I went with Silverbelly).

Victor

One of the Regulars
I really like the look of that hat and the shape. It is exactly the style that I generally go for, looks just like an old Stetson Open Road. I am curious if you know how the felt compares to the Akubra Cattleman which is a decent and very sturdy hat but has somewhat coarse and heavy felt compared to a vintage Open Road.

Russ

One of the Regulars
Akubra used to make the Stetson Open Road under license. I bet this is the same hat with a different name now. I had one and sold it after a pigeon attack gave it certain pychological associations even after I cleaned it...

After seeing yours, I'm tempted to buy a Campdraft -- especially now that I'm more aware of what lurks overhead.

Razzman

One Too Many
I agree with Victor it has a nice OR look to it. You did a great job in bashing it to achieve that look. If you don't mind my asking, where did you order the hat from. I checked several on line dealers with no luck in finding a Camp Draft model by Akubra.

RBH

Bartender
Byrne Sherwood said:
I got a Campdraft recently and am also pleased with it. Had to wait three months, which was quite a test of patience. What did you use to get the bash? Steam? Water? Mine didn't come out looking as smooth, so am wondering what method you used. I misted mine with water, but perhaps was too stingy. You picked a good color; I may go that route next time (I went with Silverbelly).
Thanks for all the good words everyone!
I sprayed mine with a water bottle, wet it really good [not to the point that it dripped water] and then I gentley started the shaping process.
Yes here is the place I got mine. They were great to deal with. And yes it took 3 months, as the CampDraft had to be ordered from Akubra.
http://shop.valleycountry.com.au/catalogue/category1/category13/category54/product334
It is a fine hat none the less.

P.S. I ordered the 7 1/2 size and it fits great.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The campdraft is a good looking hat. It would be cool in one of the special order/"custom" colours Akubra offers, like blue grass green or navy.

You've given me soemthing to think about as gift giving (and getting) season creeps up. ;)

ideaguy

One Too Many
RBH :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Great lookin' lid! Is there a difference in sizing between
the Akubra line and an OR? I was considering one, but wondered about the basics-like will my 7 3/8 LO be the same as theirs? You look like you really are
enjoying the hat-nice to see.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
I begun wear my campdraft on 15th september every day, It is a very beautiful hat,for me, I've shaped it like your. I've pourchased a silver belly the seller send me a faw one. But I really love it.
Everyone call me "hey,texano"lol lol
Best regards.
Riccardo

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
Thanks for the bashing tips, gentlemen. I re-worked my Campdraft this weekend and am pleased with the improvement. Like Riccardo, I get comments like "Hey Tex/Cowboy", which took me aback at first as I don't see it as an especially western looking hat since I don't have a cattleman's crease. Not that I have a problem with the western look (quite the contrary), but I have a different hat for that mood.:) Tony-nice Fed; that might be my next addition.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Enjoy the Campdraft!

I think I was one of the early owners of the Campdraft on the Lounge, and I have to say it's one great hat. The Campdraft and the Fed both come highly recommended by me! Enjoy them!
NB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo