Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Christmas Tree with Special Appearances By...

epr25

Practically Family
Thanks we have have an army of those little santas. 9 at last count for the small guys and 1 big guy we just got last weekend. There are some snow men thrown in there too. We got out clock on shopgoodwill.com It came from Oregon. I love it too! At night when the other lights are off it casts a wonderful green hue on everything. I actually had a neighbor ask what in the worl we had in our living room. We also have a gallery of Betty Page, the same lady asked me if that was me up on the wall. I just said I wish.

epr25

Practically Family
Thanks a couple years ago my mother was volunteering in a small thrift shop in my home town. They got a huge donation of all old christmas ornaments. We sat there forever and went through them all. I got most of our ornaments from there for a nickle each! Thanks mom. Then there is the enternal search for them all summer long. I love the aluminum trees because you can decorate all the way around. We just added a smaller 4 foot tree to the collection so we'll be even brighter next year!

Kim_B

Practically Family
EPR25 - I live about 40 minutes outside of Ft. Wayne! It just makes me giddy any time I see some one who lives in the same state, let alone a couple towns over! Lovely trees, btw!

epr25

Practically Family
Kim_B said:
EPR25 - I live about 40 minutes outside of Ft. Wayne! It just makes me giddy any time I see some one who lives in the same state, let alone a couple towns over! Lovely trees, btw!

Wow I have never met another person close to us that has the same interests. Where are you from?

Kim_B

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic:
I am originally from Ft. Wayne, but after DH and I married, we moved to a little lake town called Syracuse (about 40-45 minutes NW of Ft. Wayne). We make it into Ft. Wayne at least once a week, as my parents still live there...and if we want anything to do, it's either that or South Bend since we're smack-dab in the middle!
:eek:fftopic:

epr25

Practically Family
That's cool. This is going to sound totally crazy but did you happent o be at the Salvation Army dowtown last Wednesday? Looking at bedding? I looked at your my space page and you look familure.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Not crazy at all! :)

There are a TON of antique shops in this area...North Webster has at least 3 that I can think of, Pierceton has a few, and Warsaw/Winona Lake have a few as well. As far as thrift shops, we only have the standard Goodwill and Salvation Army...there is one other shop, called Our Father's House, but most of those items are in poor condition (which is sad because most of those go to families who seek help from the community...)

epr25

Practically Family
I am familure with all those places. I did find some peep toe red cross shoes at the Salvation Army there. My fiancee's parents are from Webster so we have hit the antique malls there too.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BeBopBaby said:
Flattop, your Christmas tree looks great, but I thought I would let you know...

You should never put electric lights on an aluminum Christmas tree! It is very unsafe and it is a huge fire hazard. It's also an electrocution hazard. They didn't even put electric lights on aluminum Christmas trees in the fifties because they were aware of the hazards then. Instead they used rotating color wheels to light the trees. You could find a vintage one, or they make new ones now that are the same. And the wiring is much safer on the new color wheels. I've seen them for sale from Harriet Carter and the Vermont Country Store. Both stores are online.

Please I don't mean to criticize your tree, but I saw a safety issue and felt I had to say something. Lights on aluminum Christmas trees is a huge no-no!

I thought the same thing...last year one of the engineers on a local radio show did that...put up the old silver tree he found in his grandmother's basement when she was selling the house...and plugged it in...and shorted out the entire pricey condo building AND block in downtown Bellevue. I'm sure everyone was remembering that this year when the power was out due to our wind storms. But I definitely remember the silver trees with the color wheels. Or the color wheels with the flocked trees.

But I think the "modern" Mylar trees are OK with lights.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
Anybody remember those bubbler lights with the liquid inside that bubbled when warm?

You can still buy those at a lot of stores, including Restoration Hardware. Restoration Hardware's a GREAT source for a lot of vintage things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy