Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playing With My New Christmas Toy

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Remember this?

P1040588A.jpg

It was under the tree, in plain sight, but we left town on Christmas Day, and didn't get back till three days ago. A week and a half of anticipation! My first project was a "Lion Hat" which was close to being garbage. No size tag, but I wear a 7 1/8, and it was way too small; just sat on the top of my head.

P1040588B.jpg

The sweatband was something like what we used to call "oilskin." It had deteriorated badly. Project: clean, stretch to 7 1/8, replace sweatband. (in other words, an entire rebuild.)

P1040589.jpg

I completely disassembled the hat. After a wash and rinse in cold water, I placed the body on the stretcher. I SLOWLY cranked it out to 7 1/8. (The gauge is calibrated for proper size, with the sweatband removed.) I let it sit for three days, to dry. (I know, it has a built in heating element, but I wasn't in a hurry; and I've heard stories about "over-cooked" hats.)

P1040590.jpg

When I began to put it back together, I discovered the only sweatband I had left was a fabric one, out of a "Burlington Coat Factory" special, from a few years ago. (Oh well, we're not talking about a BORSALINO, here.) I also found the ribbon, which was washed separately, had shrunk. It missed wrapping around the hat by 1". (I know, I stretched the hat. However, grosgrain shrinks, too. That's why it works!) I pinned the ribbon together, soaked it, and put it on the stretcher for a day (till dry).

P1040593.jpg

Then I put it all back together. The crease and dents were done by hand, no steam or water.

P1040597.jpg

One of the nicest things about this kind of stretcher is the lack of taper! (It shapes the crown the way most of us like best.)

P1040598.jpg

It's a 2" brim, and my ideal is 2 5/8, but it will see some action. Ive had it on the entire time I was setting up this post, and I completely forgot it was on my head. It's that comfortable!

P1040599B.jpg

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Outstanding!

I can't believe that is the same hat as the crinkled up one in the second photo. Great job! :eusa_clap

Duck

Practically Family
Great Toy!!!!

You did a great job on that hat, JT. It looks fantastic!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Heck of a new toy, J.T.! And quite a nice job you did with it, too! :eusa_clap

I've got a similar stretcher that I bought last summer, I think. Have yet to try it out. I spent today setting up a "hat workshop" in the corner of my office and starting this week will be tackling the some of the sorry-looking hats I've picked up during the past year in lots. I'll have to give my stretcher a try when I do so.

What's your next project?

Cheers,
Tom

Jerekson

One Too Many
Resusication is a beautiful thing. And Marcus, you did a right splendid job with it! I'm impressed.

I bought a Royal Stetson about a year ago (seperate thread all about it) that was about a size too small. I took it to the local VHS and they used a stretcher - same model as yours, actually - to get it up to a reasonable size for me. It was quite exciting, actually. Since then, the hat has shrunk considerably. I think perhaps I need to stretch it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24