My Finest ART DECO Item

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Marc Chevalier, May 4, 2009.

1. Cousin Hepcat

Cousin Hepcat Practically Family

Wow. Just, wow. Yeah.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Love the tools. What's especially fitting is that the whole Art Deco aesthetic was based on images of machines as far back at WW I. Every time I see Deco Objets with striaitions and louvres, it reminds me of the cooling fins on gasoline engines, which were the obvious inspirations for all those decorative motifs.

3. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

[​IMG]

Deco writing bureau 1930's...Radio 1930's .

4. Mrs Chaddsley_Corbett

Mrs Chaddsley_Corbett Suspended

Mr Paddy is that Figure a Reproduction? the hair does not seem quite right

5. Alex Oviatt

Alex Oviatt A-List Customer

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG] I think that this 1930s pocket watch/travel clock by the New Haven Watch Company is a perfect little piece of Deco design. Also very pure Deco is this set of silverware that my grandmother got in the 1930s.

6. deco_droid

deco_droid New in Town

Love art deco -- I think this thread may be a new hangout for me. I will post some photos of my collection, but if I am understanding the forum rules correctly (sorry, new here), we have to have our photos hosted somewhere instead of files on a flashdrive or whatever? Anyway, great stuff!

7. Alex Oviatt

Alex Oviatt A-List Customer

8. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

That design leans more to the American Streamline movement that came immediately after Art Deco when decoration moved to the Moderne style and the jet era.

9. Mrs Chaddsley_Corbett

Mrs Chaddsley_Corbett Suspended

As "Bubbles" would say "Is it safe for the Kiddies and what colours does it come in?"

10. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Not mine but I sure wish it was:

[​IMG]

11. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Wooooaaaaah!!!

What IS that? A sideboard? That is beautiful!!

12. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

About the most beautiful sideboard I've seen in a long, long time. I keep marvelling at that photo time and time again.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  13. deco_droid

deco_droid New in Town

I'm going to take some photos of some of my deco stuff over the weekend. I found a really neat 1930s dentist cabinet a few years back that I really like. In the meantime, keep this thread going, I love it!

14. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe One Too Many

dhermann, you mentioned you'd like to see some more of my "Peking" / "Nichols" Chinese rugs here. Well, here you go.

Here is a full view of the pink and blue one you noted in the picture of my Westinghouse TV. It was actually made made in India in the 40s or 50s. My understanding is, after the Japanese invaded China in 1937, production of these rugs pretty much stopped completely. When Mao took power in 1949, export rug production (to the west, at least) was non-existent completely until trade opened up again.

[​IMG]

Here is the rug in our dining room. It's an authentic Nichols from the 1930, I believe. In-person the color reads more red/burgundy. Sorry for the incomplete view; it's tough to get good shots of rugs in tiny SF apartments . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a iPhone photo of two rugs which reside with my mom. Both are authentic Nichols rugs from the 20s. Several years ago, I gave my mom a room-sized (~13' x 17') Nichols with a emerald green field, burgundy boarder, and yellow details. Unfortunately, it was ruined in a flood! But since then she collects them too.

[​IMG]

I have one other room-sized rug beige/gray with a royal blue boarder, but alas it's roll up right now.

15. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I really like that one with the navy blue border and the dark red interior! Are these rugs nice and soft? Do you keep one of those old-fashioned carpet-beaters lying around to dust them off every now and then? Or do you just suck all the dust off with the Hoover?

16. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Here's the small one. This image is copied from the first page of this thread. I'll try to get shots of the other two soon.
    [​IMG]

I don't know about other peoples' rugs, but the ones I have and have seen don't have a particularly soft finish to them. The nap is pretty low, and they are actually a little coarse.

17. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe One Too Many

Thanks. The interior is actually is a rose color in person; much more pink than red.

When new (or in good condition), Nichols rugs were (are) quit soft; the were (are) also very shinny. Both the shininess and softness were achieved by chemically processing the wool with a washing process.

I vacuum my rugs, which some say is not optimal. But in my experience, prolonged dirtiness is much more damaging long-term to any vintage item than cleaning processes which may cause some wear.

dhermann's rug is a really fine example of an early Nichols rug. It looks to be much older than mine, which are late 20s and on.

18. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

That is some seriously fabulous art deco you guys have. We have been deliberating on a piece, they call it a cocktail cabinet, a commode (not that sort) or a buffet table/cabinet. I would call it a sideboard. It has been on E-Bay for £1300 without any takers. It's to die for.
    CLICK HERE to see why I am getting into a lather.

19. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Absolutely fabulous. My guess is that it's French. Are you sure it's an antique, and not a modern interpretation of Deco? The description seems slightly ambiguous.
    When I was looking for my sideboard, I found that there were American pieces that were mostly Waterfall, French pieces that were magnificent, with that wonderful 12 layer French varnishing technique, that costs thousands, and there were very nice British ones, made from less exotic materials, and of lesser quality but still wonderful design. I thought the British stuff by far the best deal.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli One of the Regulars

I don't have much, but here are my new gold plated double silver cufflinks!

[​IMG]