My Finest ART DECO Item

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Marc Chevalier, May 4, 2009.

1. decojoe67

decojoe67 One of the Regulars

DSC00002.JPG This is an American Airlines DC-10 commemorative desk lamp. I assume it was for AA execs. I've seen other types, but none exactly like this one. I looked close at the aging of the chrome, cord, and socket, and it's not much later than the late 1940's. It could be the 1930's. It needs it's props replaced which I'll do with acrylic disks. Very deco!
    View attachment 246752

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Shibumi and Hurricane Jack like this.
  2. decojoe67

Here's a circa 1930 chalkware boudoir lamp. I redid the wiring, made a new frosted diffuser shade, and touched it up. The finish really looks like bronze and it has a place for a pack of cigarettes. It's fairly large - 9" X 7". Underneath is a tag which reads "Mackey Mfg. Chicago". I cannot find a word about the company. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    DSC01175.JPG

Shibumi and Hurricane Jack like this.
  3. decojoe67

4. decojoe67

Okay, this one is a stretch to be in "my finest" thread, but it is a great deco-ish '30's piece. It's a rare 1939 New York Worlds Fair desk lamp. The base is cast post-metal and the shade is steel. All painted silver-gray. I have never seen this piece anywhere before and I'm assuming it may've been given to fair officials. I love it's aged patina.
    DSC00012.JPG

Nobert and Bugguy like this.
  5. decojoe67

Another 1939 New York World's Fair lamp called the "Saturn Lamp". The Net says it better than I can:
    "The planetary lamp, designed to be used on a desk or small table, was made by the L.J. Houze Convex Glass Co., founded in 1914 at Point Marion, Pennsylvania, by Leon Houze and his son, Roger. The lamp is one of the special “Saturn” souvenir lamps Houze designed especially for and sold at the 1939 World’s Fair held at Flushing, New York. Offered in a number of pastel shades to the show’s more than 44 million visitors from April 1939 to October 1940."
    My eyes popped when I saw this at a local antiques mall. Not a chip on it. Pastel pink frosted glass with bright blue stars. The top comes off like a derby to replace the bulb.
    1939 Saturn lamp.JPG

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  6. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

Looks like Frankart, doesn't it? Although I think those were mostly cast in spelter rather than chalkware.

decojoe67 likes this.
  7. decojoe67

Yes, but there was a lot of Frankart knock-offs in the '30's. This one does have the "Mackay" label on the bottom, although it's odd that I cannot find a word about the company on the Net. The figure was done very well. I think all Frankart items were spelter by the way.

8. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

I'm not quite sure what this was used for, powder maybe? A shaving mirror? Either way, I like the look and at least I can now see the back of my head.

IMG_9683 copy.jpg IMG_9684 copy.jpg

MikeBravo likes this.
  9. Harry Gooch

Harry Gooch One of the Regulars

Are you sure this isn't a DC-3?

10. decojoe67

Thanks for your comment. I've since done some research and it can very well be a DC-3. I believe that was in use in 1935, so it makes me wonder when this lamp was produced. Being it has the "AA" clearing displayed, it has to be a corporate piece, yet, after inspecting it thoroughly, I would suspect it was from the late '40's-early '50's. I cannot find another example to compare it too. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020