Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Finest ART DECO Item

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
DSC00002.JPG
This is an American Airlines DC-10 commemorative desk lamp. I assume it was for AA execs. I've seen other types, but none exactly like this one. I looked close at the aging of the chrome, cord, and socket, and it's not much later than the late 1940's. It could be the 1930's. It needs it's props replaced which I'll do with acrylic disks. Very deco!
View attachment 246752

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Here's a circa 1930 chalkware boudoir lamp. I redid the wiring, made a new frosted diffuser shade, and touched it up. The finish really looks like bronze and it has a place for a pack of cigarettes. It's fairly large - 9" X 7". Underneath is a tag which reads "Mackey Mfg. Chicago". I cannot find a word about the company. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
DSC01175.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Okay, this one is a stretch to be in "my finest" thread, but it is a great deco-ish '30's piece. It's a rare 1939 New York Worlds Fair desk lamp. The base is cast post-metal and the shade is steel. All painted silver-gray. I have never seen this piece anywhere before and I'm assuming it may've been given to fair officials. I love it's aged patina.
DSC00012.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Another 1939 New York World's Fair lamp called the "Saturn Lamp". The Net says it better than I can:
"The planetary lamp, designed to be used on a desk or small table, was made by the L.J. Houze Convex Glass Co., founded in 1914 at Point Marion, Pennsylvania, by Leon Houze and his son, Roger. The lamp is one of the special “Saturn” souvenir lamps Houze designed especially for and sold at the 1939 World’s Fair held at Flushing, New York. Offered in a number of pastel shades to the show’s more than 44 million visitors from April 1939 to October 1940."
My eyes popped when I saw this at a local antiques mall. Not a chip on it. Pastel pink frosted glass with bright blue stars. The top comes off like a derby to replace the bulb.
1939 Saturn lamp.JPG

Nobert

Practically Family
Here's a circa 1930 chalkware boudoir lamp. I redid the wiring, made a new frosted diffuser shade, and touched it up. The finish really looks like bronze and it has a place for a pack of cigarettes. It's fairly large - 9" X 7". Underneath is a tag which reads "Mackey Mfg. Chicago". I cannot find a word about the company. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 247231

Looks like Frankart, doesn't it? Although I think those were mostly cast in spelter rather than chalkware.

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Yes, but there was a lot of Frankart knock-offs in the '30's. This one does have the "Mackay" label on the bottom, although it's odd that I cannot find a word about the company on the Net. The figure was done very well. I think all Frankart items were spelter by the way.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
View attachment 247879 This is an American Airlines DC-10 commemorative desk lamp. I assume it was for AA execs. I've seen other types, but none exactly like this one. I looked close at the aging of the chrome, cord, and socket, and it's not much later than the late 1940's. It could be the 1930's. It needs it's props replaced which I'll do with acrylic disks. Very deco!
View attachment 246752
Are you sure this isn't a DC-3?

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your comment. I've since done some research and it can very well be a DC-3. I believe that was in use in 1935, so it makes me wonder when this lamp was produced. Being it has the "AA" clearing displayed, it has to be a corporate piece, yet, after inspecting it thoroughly, I would suspect it was from the late '40's-early '50's. I cannot find another example to compare it too. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
1939 Worlds Fair lamp sticker.JPG
A popular souvenir of the 1939 New York World's Fair was these "Saturn" lamps. They came in a slew of colors and patterns. This one is a "clear" version with the remnants of painted stars inside the bottom half of the globe. The thing that sets this one apart is the colorful original sales sticker. I believe this is the only example with it still in place. It states "clear" on the left side. A company called Sassperilla reproduced these beautifully in the '70's and although they're desirable, these original versions are highly desirable. The easiest way to ID originals is to remove the top dome. The socket and metal dome mount should be the old type with all metal part showing an aged patina. By the way, it appears this one has it's original cobalt blue bulb!
1939 Worlds Fair Saturn lamp.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
I had a opportunity to get this quality art-deco/machine-age lamp. I've seen it somewhere before, or similiar, yet I'm only finding very vague information on it. It's a high-end lamp with finely cast bronze figures, alabaster shade (that is actually held above the lamp socket by the chains) and some kind of heavy black polished stone base. There's no marking on it. Interestingly, someone taped a small key on the top of the base behind the shade for safe keeping and never removed it. I'm leaving it in place.
DSC00155.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
This 1939 New York World's Fair bank/thermometer was in rough shape, but I thought I'd save it. It's pot-metal and out of the two other examples I've found, is often in poor shape. The Trylon tends to warp badly towards the tip. Mine was broken off. Since the two other examples had different finishes, I thought I'd redo this one in the classic blue and orange. The thermometer is new. There's a coin slot in the back of the Perisphere and a new rubber plunger in the bottom. Here is before and after:
1939worlds fairbank.jpg
1939worldsfair bank.JPG

Nick&Nora

New in Town
I love all of the art deco items in this thread! Great pocket watch, Marc. I love the slipshade chandelier, the magazine rack, the lamp and boy am I jealous, Paddy, over that clock. I love it when I can find a cool deco piece at a real steal of a price like you did. :eusa_clap

I have a number of favorite art deco pieces, some are original and some are reproduction. I don't think I could choose just one favorite. [huh] I used to have a really gorgeous French art deco chandelier but the electrician I hired to install it dropped it during the installation. Yeah, he dropped it. :eek: Remarkably the only thing that broke were two (maybe three) of the small glass shades on the chandelier. The center glass didn't break at all but the metal part of the lamp was really mangled. I had the place I bought it from try to repair it but they couldn't locate the same type of glass shades and the ones they added pale in comparison to the originals. Sadly, the chandelier is a mere shadow of it's former self. It really broke my heart. I also have a couple of beautiful glass wall sconces that came from a hotel in Miami that I just love. I don't currently have them installed but in our last place I had them on either side of the fireplace (actually I may have a photo of that...I'll have to look)

I don't have any photos of my favorite pieces but maybe in a day or so I can borrow my daughters phone camera to take a few photos.

I hope more people will share their art deco treasures. I love looking at them.:)

Nick&Nora

New in Town
This is a comment I made years ago under the name NicknNora. Sadly, I can't continue to use that name for some reason?? I had to create a new one Nick&Nora. Evidently the old account is under an old email??? Now instead of being an A lister, I'm new in town. LOL

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
A friend had this fairly rare art-deco circa 1939 lamp around for a while. He finally made me a good deal on it due to it's cracked/repaired milk-glass shade. It's just too cool to pass on. I see this often described with the words "world's fair" and "Saturn lamp", but have not found much info on it yet. A lamp like this would've likely been in a child's bedroom on a desk.
user.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
I love scoring finds at local antiques malls. This is a very Frankart-like art-deco mood lamp or radio lamp. I've researched extensively to find another and as of yet could not. I like the unusual dramatic center panel. Very theatrical, like a sconce you'd see in an old movie palace.
1930'svanity lamp.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
I got the lamp reasonable, but the actual lamp part was completely missing. I recreated everything and used a vintage "brain" shade I had stored away. I also used a cloth lamp cord and vintage inline switch. I like the stance of the girl. I believe its Frankart, but there is no marks.
DSC00538.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112