Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Aero CXFQHH - fit and a few questions

Bennarion

One Too Many
My Aero has arrived today!

First of all the smell is fantastic and the leather looks and feels amazing!

I was worried about the fit as the sleeves seemed a bit long from my measurements but actually, they're just right.

I wanted to ask if the jacket will get a bit roomier in time?

I can wear it with a t-shirt perfectly, I've tried it with a sweater on top and it's pretty tight at the shoulders.

I'm a bit worried about the back that only folds in the middle as seen in the picture. Will that soften up? The jacket's still quite stiff although it started to break in before I bought it.

What are your opinions?

View attachment 298678

View attachment 298679 View attachment 298680
View attachment 298681
Perfect fit. The fit will get even better over time

Reactions: Riu

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I concur with everyone here. That fit looks fantastic objectively, but only you know whether it fits subjectively (its tight and loose in the right places). Only trying on different sizes/makers will reveal that to you.

jeo

One Too Many
Do you think a wider bottom hem would fix 'the problem'? I thought this was inherent to the pattern, just having front and back panels (no side panels)

A lot of jackets have that in some way. But the j-100's that I've seen always have this issue in a more pronounced way and they don't have side panels. It's the same thing with my RMC wayward. It doesn't have side panels and the back length goes past the end of the bottom arch in my back and therefore kind of bulges out.

I'm not a jacket maker so I'm not sure how it can be "fixed" with adjusting certain measurements or the way the jacket is cut.

I just did a google search and that arch it's called the lumbar curve. Some people have an exaggerated lumbar curve and some flatter backs. I'm sure this effects this type of issue as well.

spinal-deformities-lumbar-lordosis.png

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Do you think a wider bottom hem would fix 'the problem'? I thought this was inherent to the pattern, just having front and back panels (no side panels)
Here you see the exact same issue although the bottom hem is almost too wide.
View attachment 298691

Adding side panels does the trick, like with this Thedi.
View attachment 298693

But those side panels make the jacket look more feminine imo. Therefore I prefer the classic pattern.

Ah, I see! You’re right of course, my mistake.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
A lot of jackets have that in some way. But the j-100's that I've seen always have this issue in a more pronounced way and they don't have side panels. It's the same thing with my RMC wayward. It doesn't have side panels and the back length goes past the end of the bottom arch in my back and therefore kind of bulges out.

I'm not a jacket maker so I'm not sure how it can be "fixed" with adjusting certain measurements or the way the jacket is cut.

I just did a google search and that arch it's called the lumbar curve. Some people have an exaggerated lumbar curve and some flatter backs. I'm sure this effects this type of issue as well.

View attachment 298699
Spot on jeo. One iteration more to the right in your diagram is what they call a 'rounded shoulder'. That's what you sometimes see with people who go to the gym a lot.
04108DBF-D992-4298-AE74-338B9912991B.jpeg

With rounded shoulders you will see the jacket's extra material hanging from the shoulders instead of bunching up in the lower back.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
perfect fit. Like others said, a tshirt only fit is going to look best, but then you giving up the ability to layer. That's why some of us have a closet full of jackets to cover every possible situation. I've got so many, I'm good if I ever buy a red polka dot sweater 25mm in thickness and short sleeve length and anything else that could ever come up :rolleyes: Way too many jackets.

The Aero horse breaks down in certain higher stress points (elbows, pits, shoulder, etc.) but yeah, it's not going to magically grow bigger. I got maybe .25 inch in the chest after about 50 wears. You'll notice the jacket fitting better though in warmer weather than colder because of the waxes heating up. Temporary effect.

jeo

One Too Many
@Marc mndt Absolutely, and I'm sure there are a ton of other factors as well.

That's why when there is a jacket whose pattern is comfortable, looks good and works on a lot of people you know it's a true work of art in understanding the human body, how it's shaped and how it moves. Many people here talk about Vanson, Langlitz and Lost Worlds in this regard.

Riu

Practically Family
I concur with everyone here. That fit looks fantastic objectively, but only you know whether it fits subjectively (its tight and loose in the right places). Only trying on different sizes/makers will reveal that to you.
I have a good range of motion while wearing it so it's alright, I'm sure I need to adjust myself too, also not sure if it's the weight that makes it feel a bit strange on the shoulders when wearing it with a sweater. I'll see in a few days.

Riu

Practically Family
perfect fit. Like others said, a tshirt only fit is going to look best, but then you giving up the ability to layer. That's why some of us have a closet full of jackets to cover every possible situation. I've got so many, I'm good if I ever buy a red polka dot sweater 25mm in thickness and short sleeve length and anything else that could ever come up :rolleyes: Way too many jackets.

The Aero horse breaks down in certain higher stress points (elbows, pits, shoulder, etc.) but yeah, it's not going to magically grow bigger. I got maybe .25 inch in the chest after about 50 wears. You'll notice the jacket fitting better though in warmer weather than colder because of the waxes heating up. Temporary effect.

To me, it's exactly those points pits and shoulders that feel a bit tight when adding an extra layer in between, but after reading all your opinions I'm at peace :) Thank you for your advice!

BoDeen427

New in Town
Here you see the exact same issue although the bottom hem is almost too wide.
View attachment 298691

Adding side panels does the trick, like with this Thedi.
View attachment 298693

But those side panels make the jacket look more feminine imo. Therefore I prefer the classic pattern.

Good looking jacket!
I tried posting some pics of a jacket but when I try it seems to only take me to certain files, I can't seem to find the camera gallery for some reason. I opened a couple albums, one was screenshots, just to see what would happen but I couldn't get it to click on them to post. How do I post pics here?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Good looking jacket!
I tried posting some pics of a jacket but when I try it seems to only take me to certain files, I can't seem to find the camera gallery for some reason. I opened a couple albums, one was screenshots, just to see what would happen but I couldn't get it to click on them to post. How do I post pics here?
I just click on 'upload an image' and then select from my iPhone library.
A79B7FB0-C1EF-43F8-B81C-7E4D4EF83DB5.jpeg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
My Aero has arrived today!

First of all the smell is fantastic and the leather looks and feels amazing!

I was worried about the fit as the sleeves seemed a bit long from my measurements but actually, they're just right.

I wanted to ask if the jacket will get a bit roomier in time?

I can wear it with a t-shirt perfectly, I've tried it with a sweater on top and it's pretty tight at the shoulders.

I'm a bit worried about the back that only folds in the middle as seen in the picture. Will that soften up? The jacket's still quite stiff although it started to break in before I bought it.

What are your opinions?

View attachment 298678

View attachment 298679 View attachment 298680
View attachment 298681

Perfect fit right there! I like that fit, it's snug but not too tight! The shoulders should relax with more wear so you will be fine. Congratulations

Riu

Practically Family
Perfect fit right there! I like that fit, it's snug but not too tight! The shoulders should relax with more wear so you will be fine. Congratulations
Thank you! I like it too, I wore it yesterday for a few hours and it started to feel comfortable after a while. I really like it and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops in time.

Riu

Practically Family
I think it looks great Riu. I wouldn't worry one bit about the way the back creases. Just wear it often and I think you will find that continuous 'break in ' will give you added comfort as it molds and shapes to your body.
Congrats
Thank you @HoosierDaddy! I'll just enjoy it and wear it as often as I can.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think the fit of the OP jacket is perfect, how the back breaks probably has to do more with wearer's posture when standing, some people naturally slouching their back (like shrimp like me), some standing straight, and some push their chest forward.

Riu

Practically Family
I think the fit of the OP jacket is perfect, how the back breaks probably has to do more with wearer's posture when standing, some people naturally slouching their back (like shrimp like me), some standing straight, and some push their chest forward.
I know posture is a big factor, it's the first jacket that really fits - usually, the sleeves are too long for my hands or my hands are too short for regular jackets as I have tried quite a few :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21