Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first fedora (new to hats)

Alsek

New in Town
Hey all.

I'm new to hats entirely. I've never really worn them... I think it's just because i have a slightly larger hat size than average, so it was hard to get one thrift to see if i liked them or not. I never really cared much for baseball caps.

I don't know what exactly inspired it, but recently i've found myself extremely interested in film noir and the 1940s, and with that, of course, comes an interest in hats. I didn't know if a hat of any type would suit me, none the less a fedora (which i understand are supposed to be quite difficult to pull off well.)

None the less, This is my first hat:

IMG_1609.JPG

It's a stetson saxon. I've had a lot of mixed reactions so far. What do you gentlemen think?

-30-

A-List Customer
I'm relatively new here myself, but as the hour is rather late (3:05 AM in Toronto, Canada) I will just say from The Members and myself -

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge, Alsek!

DiverAdam, you startled me; I having thought that Alsek and I were the only ones left.
(LOL)

Both the hat and it's position look just fine, as I prefer to wear mine as in the like way.

Regards,
-30-

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Great star, Alsek! If you hang around here, you'll learn a lot about hats, and the more you wear one, the more used to it you'll get.

Best,
Aaron

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Looks great on you! I really like the coat! Do you have a sport coat/blazer on under it? That could help pull the look together. Another thing is try to dimple your tie. It just looks a little better :)

Also, welcome to the lounge!

Remember, hats are an uncommon sight to people in the modern world, and are different. Many people are confused by different, so they will say things either nice or rude, but thats goes with anything.

Wear the hat, do NOT let it wear you!!!!

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Wear the hat, do NOT let it wear you!!!!

Yep, don't think "oooh, I'm wearing a hat" just do it. We don't think "oooh, I'm wearing a coat" and the hat needs to be the same.

To be fair it can take a little while to get to that point, but you'll be a happy hat wearer when you get there. Of course, when you get to my age, you don't give a monkey's about what others think so it becomes way easier! :)

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Looks good. A fedora is not hard to "pull off" you just wear the darn thing. I learned quickly if you worry about being noticed in public don't wear a proper hat

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DJH nailed it on the head. Don't even think about it. Just put it on an go. You will get to the point where you don't even think about it. The hat looks great. You will find that you will get tons of compliments from both ladies and gentlemen.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Welcome! Looks sharp. My first hat was also a Saxon; great first hat, since it works well with any face/body type and clothing style.
It's an easy hat to learn how to get used to wearing a hat and getting your confident hat-wearing swagger.
Welcome to the addiction!

59Lark

Practically Family
Young man; as someone who has worn a fedora for almost 30 years, once you get used to , you wont wear anything else, being in business i also am know the man who wears a hat, often correct them its a fedora. i wear a straw in the summer, and felt otherwise and a fur hat, if its 30 below and i out shovelling snow. Being in Canada and you being in california, you probably wont need a fur hat ever. YOU have to make your own unique style and live it, my late father used to say dont be a sheep wolves eat sheeps. To tell how bad it is, I have a barn hat for dirty jobs, and every hat and a hat for wedding and funerals, .My best story was working in a pioneer village fixing some 1914 machinery, white shirt buttoned up, suspenders, worn blue pant, straw fedora and worn blue work jacket with pocket watch and the curator told my kids that it was nice that their dad dressed period to work at the village and they started laughing these are his everyday clothes. One halloween my brother borrowed my black fedora, my double brested pin stripe suit and my daughter violion case, they all asked where did you get the ganster outfit, he replied these are my brothers good clothes. 59 Lark
\\

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Alsek, you look good!! 59Lark gave you some very good advise, he said it well, wear you hat and be yourself in your hat. He's also right on the "once you get used to it, you won't wear anything else." You look good in your first hat, and welcome to the Lounge!!

slc

Familiar Face
Welcome, Alsek; you look sharp.

More similar advice for you: Dress to please yourself.

There were times when I have been self-conscious of my hats and clothes. After all, a well-dressed man will stand out in a crowd, especially these days. The longer you do it, the more confidence you have, and the easier it gets. It wasn't alway easy to take the comments from extended family, friends, and coworkers. The teasing stops quickly when they see it does not bother me. Some have come to appreciate how I dress and now I see many of them dressing better too.

Alsek

New in Town
Thanks for all the words of encouragement and warm welcomes.

I, unfortunately, do not yet own a sport jacket. I'm about 6'3'' and weight all of 130 pounds, so it's hard to find them used, and i'm a student, so buying one new, while nice, would be... Excessive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner