Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first fedora. Some advice and support needed.

BondSV

New in Town
First of all I'd like to say "Hi!" to everyone here. I'm new to wearing hats and quite happy that I found this wonderful community.

I'm 25 years old and live in Ukraine. I've been dreaming about a hat for last couple of years, but it's rather hard to find a proper felt hat here in Ukraine. What we have on sale is mostly cheap cotton hats, which is not what I wanted. And buying my first hat over the internet was a bit unreasonable, because they do cost a lot of money and I had no idea of what size it shouldbe. Finally I was in Berlin this summer and found myself a great Stetson wool felt hat. This is my first hat. :)

Stetson1-sm.jpg

Stetson2-sm.jpg

Now, as a newcomer, I have some issues that I would like to understand and will appreciate any help.

1. I come to understand that my Stetson is a rather mid-formal fedora and can be worn with casual attire as much as with a suit. I do wear suits, but not on an everyday basis, so this is an important question for me.

2. I looked up some info about hats on the internet and this forum and know that one should handle his fedora by the brim and not the crown. But my wool felt fedora is quite soft and that confuses me. Touching the brim pretty much changes it's curve...

Those are the two things that bother me the most at the time. Will also gladly appreciate any comment or advice. Thank you.

StetsonMe-sm.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. I don't think your picture links are working. You will need to upload the pics to a host (such as photobucket) and them copy and paste the IMG code into your message. Then the images will appear for all to see. ;)

rippy444

Familiar Face
First Fedora

Welcome to the Lounge. There is an excitement on purchasing your first hat.
There are many here that will guide you on your way.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Torpedo

One Too Many
Welcome BondSV! :)

The hat you have chosen is more of a casual hat, because of the leather ribbon. This is fine for the kind of clothes you show in your pic; I personally do not think this would work with a suit or a blazer-sportcoat (of course this is me, some people wear ball caps with suits, so go figure ;) ) Also, it is not clear in the pics, but does your hat have snap? If it is a "explorer" style, brim all down, this is also casual.

Now that you know your size, you can hunt for a more formal hat in the 'net, preferably fur felt, in a colour appropriate for your main wardrobe, and with a more classic bowed ribbon in grosgrain or similar.

I am not sure I understand what you say about the brim being soft. It should be soft, unless it has lots of stiffener. The hat is not supposed to be lifted with one hand without collapsing. You should use both hands to put it on and off your head.

Regards!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BondSV said:
Nice looking hat. You've matched it up well with your clothes. It is a less formal hat, so I would sooner wear it with casual clothes than with formal clothes. Handling the hat by the brim is probably a good idea, but less important with wool than with fur felt. You might be able to find fur felt hats for cheap on the E Bay outlets in your region. Isn't there E Bay out there? That's your low-cost solution I think. Anyway, you've already achieved a good "look," so as you can afford it, you can widen your hat selection.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Another welcome!

Glad you found us! I think you'll enjoy your time here.

I echo what has been said, the hat works with what you're wearing, but it's for certain not a formal/dress hat.

If eBay is an option, you can scour there and check back often. Other than that, I'm not sure what would be your most economical option. You might want to fish around and see what vendors ship to your country, it may not be as outrageous as you think.

Take some time and read through threads. Check out the brand dedicated threads for more specific information regarding a brand you find interesting.

I usually try to handle my hats by the brim, but all too often find myself absentmindedly picking them up by the crown. [huh]

You've come to the right place for advice, and are sure to get support in your new hat habit!

Randy

P.S I like your shoes, they look comfortable

Undertow

First, welcome to the Lounge! It's great to have you! :eusa_clap

If you haven't already had a chance, you should MOST DEFINITELY research this thread:
Felt hat basics

as well as:
Start Here: Links to Important Hat Forum Threads

In fact, I would look over all of those threads before purchasing your next hat. You will gain a much more thorough knowledge of what's expected in hat quality, hat etiquette, as well as style and terminology.

To answer your questions:
1. Your hat is appropriate for your outfit. I agree with Torpedo that the leather band and brim-turned-down are more casual, and typically not seen with suit wear. On the other hand, please note that fedoras are not as popular as they were when folks wore suits every day. That being said, suits aren't as varied as the used to be. Your hat would be quite appropriate with a tweed suit, or even a pair of wool slacks and tweed jacket. Tweed suits and jackets appear formal to many folks today, but technically, their more casual. *NOTE You may initially find it difficult to relate to some of the terms used on the Lounge because we speak to a different era, most often.

2. It is not "incorrect" to handle the hat by the pinch, but if you've dealt with many vintage hats, you'll see some have holes worn in the pinch from years of grabbing. I think most folks here would recommend you use one or two hands to grab the hat by the brim. I think it's also safe to handle the hat by its crown as long as you're not handling it roughly.

Keep in mind, you're in possession of a crushable wool Stetson. You should be able to roll your hat up and, when you retrieve it, it should pop back into shape.

Also, although there is alot to say about wool vs. fur felt, I can tell you from personal experience fur is the way to go. Wools are great, and if you take care of yours, it will serve you well. However, you should still consider purchasing a fur felt when you're able; if not for quality alone, for progeny. ;)

Welcome to the Lounge

BondSV,
Welcome aboard !
Like some of the other fellows mentioned, now that you know your size [that is if that hat fits you well, 57c or 7 1/8] consider a vintage fur felt, either Rabbit or a Beaver body. E-bay has some really nice Fedoras out there, soon you'll have another....and another......and.....many others....lol
Welcome to the addiction !!!:D Enjoy the stay.
Tim

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Lounge Bond;
Glad to see you've found this place, it is a great place to learn and to share your experiences and your hats, welcome! You've gotten some great advise already. I would suggest Hatsdirect.com to you as a place to purchase an Akubra fur felt hat. Deb, Jenny, or Ron will guide you through every step in the buying phase, from choosing the right hat to sizing. Your Stetson looks great on you and it pairs well with the clothes your wearing. You can get some wear from your wool felt hat but wool requires much more care than a fur felt hat. My first fedora was a wool felt. I had not found the lounge then so I had a lot to learn, the first time I wore it in the rain ruined the shape of it completely. It was a heavy rain, it got pretty well soaked, when it dried out it had lost it's shape and had shrunk so bad it was too tight to wear comfortably. My first and last wool felt hat. Wool will last if you don't get them wet. Best wishes wearing your hats and welcome again to the Lounge. Lots of good people here who will help you a great deal, they have me.

God Bless;
Preacher Man

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Welcome, welcome!

BondSV said:
1. I come to understand that my Stetson is a rather mid-formal fedora and can be worn with casual attire as much as with a suit. I do wear suits, but not on an everyday basis, so this is an important question for me.

As a few of the others have mentioned, the thin leather hatband and the safari style brim cause this hat to appear more casual than formal. It is still in the middle of the road, but leaning towards the casual. It goes well with what you are wearing (I say this without reservation), and I think your jacket is great!

BondSV said:
2. I looked up some info about hats on the internet and this forum and know that one should handle his fedora by the brim and not the crown. But my wool felt fedora is quite soft and that confuses me. Touching the brim pretty much changes it's curve...

It is usually best to handle felt hats (whether wool felt or fur felt) using two hands on the brim (one in front and one in back, or the supremely awkward looking one hand on each side). However, ANY place on a felt hat that bends or pinches frequently, whether it be a brim or crown, will tend towards degradation.

That is a good lookin' hat, and Stetson's VitaFelt should provide years of wear. VitaFelt can be especially good for travelers because it is crushable. Congratulations. Hope to see you around the Lounge.

BondSV

New in Town
Oh, I'm so glad I came here. So much better when someone more experienced can guide you. And thanks for the complements.

Fur felt will definetly be my next hat. I'll start monitoring eBay and vendors now (that's fun of itself lol ) and buy the next one as soon as I can aford it.

Some of you mentioned that it's crushable. I yet have to try that out. It's a strange feeling, when your mind says that everything should be ok, that it's ment to be rolled up... and your guts say: "Hey, lets stay on the safe side and don't do it". lol Kind of scary to ruin a brand new hat.

danofarlington

BondSV said:
Oh, I'm so glad I came here. So much better when someone more experienced can guide you. And thanks for the complements.

Fur felt will definetly be my next hat. I'll start monitoring eBay and vendors now (that's fun of itself lol ) and buy the next one as soon as I can aford it.

Some of you mentioned that it's crushable. I yet have to try that out. It's a strange feeling, when your mind says that everything should be ok, that it's ment to be rolled up... and your guts say: "Hey, lets stay on the safe side and don't do it". lol Kind of scary to ruin a brand new hat.
Beware! All you need is a few compliments on your hats locally there, especially from the girls, and you will be permanently hooked. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
danofarlington said:
Beware! All you need is a few compliments on your hats locally there, especially from the girls, and you will be permanently hooked. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Good luck. You are in the right place. I just got hooked myself and there are so many people here that are helpful.

BondSV

New in Town
danofarlington said:
Well, I must say they are very encouraging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy